Gamma Globulin Injection Therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greeneyeslk, Apr 3, 2007.

1. greeneyeslk

greeneyeslk New Member

Has anyone used intramuscular immunoglobin injection therapy for their CFS? My FFC MD told me about it today. I am told that the injections come with some risk, but that they have helped alot of people. I would be interested in any experiences any of you have had with the injections - good or bad. Thanks.
  2. cristine04

cristine04 New Member

Interested to hear what people say. Which FFC do you go to? Seattle?

Good luck!

3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have not used it but the infectious disease doctor told me about it last month. He said it is hard to get insurance to cover the treatment and the cost for treatment is over $5,000 month. He also mentioned interferon which is more expensive ($10,000 month).

He also had a CFS patient improve with both these treatments. I thought the treatment was intravenous, maybe I'm wrong.
  4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I did not notice any improvement while I was taking the IgG shots. I was able to get 4 shots for a $25 copay through Express Scripts. My husband gave me the shots every 2 weeks since it was not practical to travel from out of state to FFC. The FFC charges $100 per shot.

I'm not going to the FFC anymore. My new doctor said IgG shots were too risky because you never know what could be in the shots. It's a pooled human blood product. He felt it would be worth trying if they used recombinant technology to grow IgG in a lab. The FFC said the shots were safe.

LISALOO New Member

I get them once a month ($50 - my insurance won't cover it). My husband gives them to me too!

I was started on 2 x's per month but would only notice a difference on one.

I get a ton of energy for about 6 days, can do so much more. But nothing long lasting.

5 months, and no overall permanent change.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/04/2007]
  6. greeneyeslk

greeneyeslk New Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have been away from the computer for a few days, so I am bit slow with this note. I am not going to get the shots for now as I don't want to take a risk if I may only be helped for a week or so. I really don't want to pay $100 per shot as I am not working now. I am trying to keep my FFC bill as low as possible. Thanks again.
  7. kimkane

kimkane New Member

try this site
  8. Hope678

Hope678 New Member

My FFC Doc in ATL also has prescribed this for me. It is in appeal for insurance to pay a portion.

Has it helped people on our board?
  9. wrthster

wrthster New Member

I did a really long post on this about a year ago. I was uaware anyone was giving the shots. I did not have any luck with the expensive IV's. If the FFC measures your IGG subclass levels and they come back low then there would be a chance of getting it covered. Ask them at the very least. If anyone is getting the shots other then at the FFC's and can share how they are getting them covered and where they are getting them it would be greatly appreciated.

As far as Interfuron other then Doctor Chia or maybe at one of those centers I do not know of any doc that would even do it. It is used in Hepatits C and in some other things. Curious if anyone has tried this? Thanks