Gancyclovir IV

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ZosoLight, Dec 2, 2002.

1. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hello to everyone!

Has anyone ever tried an IV of Gancyclovir or oral Acyclovir? Noticed any difference in how you feel?

Thanks,

Paul
  2. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hello to everyone!

Has anyone ever tried an IV of Gancyclovir or oral Acyclovir? Noticed any difference in how you feel?

Thanks,

Paul
  3. tomf

tomf New Member

Here is a cut and paste from a prior post of mine.

I was treated by Dr. Martin Lerner in October of 1999.
    I was also diagnosed with a combined coinfection with EBV and CMV. He told me this infection was the cause of my CFS.
    I agreed to the treatment. The treatment consisted of 6 weeks of ganciclovir in IV form through a pic line for 6 weeks. Then followed by ganciclovir and valtrex in oral form for 2 1/2 additional months.

The treatment made me worse and gave me additional symptoms I never had before. I would not recommend the treatment to anyone. I was told by my new doctor (Dr. Schiappacasse - infectious disease) that ganciclovir, the antiviral I was on, causes DNA damage. He told me it should be use in only in life threatening situations like HIV. Dr. Lerner never told me the risk of this drug. He pushes these drugs on people so he can try to prove his theories. CFS patients are easy prey because they are desperate and too fatigued to investigate the situation.

Do a search in this group or the alt.med.cfs group on google or throughout the whole internet and you will not find one person he has cured by his antiviral treatment. I was told by two doctors in the area (Richard Schippacasse and Steven Margolis) he diagnoses EVERY CFS patient he sees with a combined EBV/CMV infection. These doctors claim to be seeing a lot of Dr. Lerners patients(like me) and say they are sick as ever even after his treatment.

Also EBV, CMV and HHV6 are harmless since 90+ of the adult population will test positive to prior infection. Kind of like chicken pox. Everyone gets it.
  4. nancyann14

nancyann14 New Member

Hi Paul,
    I was part of an eight week program with IV Gancyclovir just three years ago. Received two infusions per day and my very active HHV6 (viral encephalitis) became dormant and has been ever since. I take Famvir (antiviral) three times per day and have had no reactivation. Have my ups and downs with CFIDS and FIBRO but overall I am doing well.
    Good luck to you. Nancyann
  5. nancyann14

nancyann14 New Member

To TomF,
    The Human Herpes Virus 6 is a very dangerous virus that crosses the blood/brain barrier and replicates in the brain.
    It is diagnosed with a spinal tap that is cultured for the specific virus. Please do not minimize the seriousness and potential for harm to the body with this virus be it form A or form B. Nicolas Regush wrote a compelling book about this titled A VIRUS WITHIN. Doctors and scientists all over the world are working on a treatment and consider this to be a potential epidemic. Thank you. Nancyann
  6. tomf

tomf New Member

To Nancyann,

HHV6 infects about 90% of the worlds population by age 2 years old. HHV6 is only a problem in the immunocompromised.
    If someone were immunocompromised, HHV6 and other herpes class viruses would not be the "only" pathogens having a free ride.

No offense but you had treatment, the virus is dormant and you still have symptoms.If HHV6 were the cause of CFS or FM you wouldn't be just doing well. You would have no symptoms.

[This Message was Edited on 12/03/2002]
  7. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hello:

Thank you very much for you input on the IV Gancyclovir treatment!

I will do much more research into it and in the meantime keep up with my holistic approach -- juicing most every day, massage 2x week, acupuncture 1x week, colonic hydrotherapy 1x week, PT (Inetegrated Manual Therapy) 1x week, seeing a psychologist for CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), walking when I feel up to it, low stress-- am off work.

Take care,

Paul