Garage sale pricing ??? a question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tandy, Jul 10, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

hey guys,.gals~
    I've got so much stuff to get rid of I was wanting to put on a porch sale soon.
    I was thinking 75 cents for shirts, maybe $ 1-2 for pants. (sound alright?)

but I have lots of disney videos on VHS and I don't know how much they should go for????
    does anyone go to garage sales and know the typical prices for things??

maybe theres a site that gives used sale prices on items?
    i'm kinda lost. I wanna be fair, but I wanna make something off the stuff too. :)
    (its alot of work!)
  2. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

The clothes prices are about right, unless it is a very expensive suit or something. Pants need to be nice to be a dollar.

If I go to a sale and things are too expensive, I don't buy.

Paperback books, 50 cents, hardcover $1.

VHS $1 or if it is old, 50 cents.

As you can see, at my sale everything goes cheap.

Maybe it depends what area you live in. I live in a depressed area, not everyone has money here.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

To me, the worst part about garage sales is the pricing!
    If I sell this for x amount, then wait, I should sell this for x amount....
    If they are VHS, I'd say 50 cents, maybe $1
    I know people that sell DVD's for $1. Not a lot of people use VHS anymore.
    I think the clothes sound right, unless they're tshirts - I'd sell for .50

Am I cheap too?? =)
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

This one gal i knew had a sale and just put a sign up saying "Make Me an Offer",,,,and she said it worked out pretty good after all was said and done,,,,just an idea!,,,,,,Goodluck!,,,Sis
  5. pasara

pasara New Member

what your motive is for having the sale. is it to get rid of things or to make some money? pricing will follow once you make that decision.

the best sale i had was my quarter sale. everything, no matter how big or small, was a quarter. made things very easy and the gimmick brought a lot of people in. clothes, a quarter. books, a quarter. junk drawer toys, a quarter. couch, a quarter. and so on. it was kind of funny what was a quarter, so the sale was very sociable and fun.

the only thing that didn't cost a quarter was the wooden play structure that my kids had outgrown. whoever would haul it away got a quarter from me!

this isn't the way to go if you want to make a lot of money, but i felt a lot of satisfaction in getting rid of a lot of stuff and seeing other people using it. actually, though, i did make a couple hundred dollars. mostly because, though nothing cost very much, almost everything went, and it added up.
    good luck with the sale!
  6. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

would do the disney movies for a lil more those are collectors items alot of times people at tag sales are looking for things that are worth money if u need money I would do them for $3 or something like that if they do not sell u can change the price

most people are not afraid to ask u to go down on the price thats how it usually is when I have a tag sale.

thats what I would do-Kim
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

Cheap is the way to go~
    I don't want to be packing and storing this stuff anymore!! Although its a rotten shame that name brand clothing be so cheap.
    My 15 yr old son has a stack of Ecko,Sean John,Rocawear,etc. clothing that I paid good money for.
    Those I will have to try to get more than the average for. I'd buy em for 2 bucks a piece if I were people looking for deals.
    Ok,... well thanks again
  8. sues1

sues1 New Member

So I tried to price very reasonable.

At the end of one event.......I toted what was left, and I did not want, to the curb.......I had a large sign that said.......

I added "ENJOY" with a smiley face.

Worked well.........Susan
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

Thanks Kim~
    see,... thats what I thought about the disney tapes/movies.
    all the other vhs I'll do cheap cheap, but I kinda thought the disney ones were collectable. even thou they are VHS.
    cause one time I remember being at a garage sale and they had alot of the disney movies for either 3 or 4 dollars and I saw a lady snagging/buying tham all!!!
    so I assumed they're hot sellers.
    My youngest son is 11 yrs old and he does'nt want them anymore.
    (of course he thinks HE should get the $) lol

Thanks again
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

Theres a few that I kinda wanna keep too. :)
    (maybe I will) like bambi,toy story,The lion king.
    thats it.
    I'm hoping to have the sale this friday if I'm all ready by then.
    The advanced forcast calls for 90's thou :(
    might be too hot for my butt to be outside sellin stuff.

Thanks again for your help
  11. Good luck with your sale. I love garage sales. Lately the ones I go to are all kids/baby clothes. I like more stuff ! When I had a sale I had a piece of jewelery marked 25 cents a guy asked me if I would take 10 cents! GEESH! I mean JUST TAKE IT if you need it that bad. a quarter I don't think is too high a price.

My sister sold a bunch of dvds for $1 and $2 and they went like hotcakes!
  12. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

I popped on ebay and people are selling lots anywhere from 5 to 15 video's vhs from $5 To $50

so I would still price them 3 or 4 each not everyone uses ebay

and the brand name clothes if in good condition $2 is a steal they are 50 in the store

and like I said people like to bargain at tag sales if they think it is too much they will ask if you'll take less if things aren't selling u can always lower the price later on in the tag sale

if u just want stuff to go I always cruise around on sunday night lookin for the free leftovers from the tag sale so just put the leftovers at the end of youyr driveway with a free sign I think thats a great idea-Kim
  13. tandy

tandy New Member

OMG!! let me just say,.....
    all week I've been slowly going thru stuff and tagging things.
    I climbed my attic stairs more times this week than in my life!! My legs ache already and I have'nt even had the darn sale yet!!LOL
    I just put an ad in the local paper for saturday only.
    (thats all I can handle :)
    I'll let ya know how I make out.

I'll be ordering myself a pizza sat. night for dinner.
    I'm sure I'll earn it :)
    the only bad,... is its suppose to be 90 degrees. uuuggghhh
    Thanks for your input/help
  14. sisland

sisland New Member

Just stopping by to wish you Goodluck!,,,,i have a feeling you will do really good!,,,,,,,,,,,Sis
  15. tandy

tandy New Member

Sure wish I had your hands here to help me :)
    I'm about to hit the dreaded garage now,... to see whats out there to get rid of.
    scooter,bikes,skateboard ramp, to name a few.

yea,... I've dealt with some cheap-skates at previous sales of mine before. Does'nt that just kill ya?? lol

One time I had a brand new, still in the box pr of childs sketcher sneakers. My son just never wore em, and then they were a size to small.
    I had them marked $5. They were $40 sneaks, it said right on the box.! (I got em at the end of season for prolly $15-18 tho. but she did'nt know that?? :) this lady asked me if I'd take $3. !!!
    I had to laugh. but I recall, I did go down.
    sucker!! lmbo

will check back in soon or after tomorrows sale.
    Thanks for the good luck wishes~
  16. tandy

tandy New Member

Waaaaaaaay too much work for a lousy $107 dollars~!!!!

but I'll tell ya, I was'nt laughing yesterday or the night before. I was made aware of every stinkin muscle in my body.
    Garage sales are killer work!! uuuuuggghhhh
    (not sure I'll ever do one again)
    thanks for all your help,