Garbage Disposal is stuck **working now :)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beadlady, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I was cleaning out the fridge and it was working fine, until I put some cooked spinach down the drain and now it is barely turning. Husband is crashed out on the couch so will have to deal with it tomorrow. I stuck my hand down in the disposal and didn't feel anything unusual--but then I don't know what to look for.

Hoping it is a simple thing that we can fix--we don't call the landlords unless its absolutly something we can't do.

Keep your fingers crossed that this is an easy fix!!!

[This Message was Edited on 04/18/2012]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is usually a reset button on the outside of the disposal. This sometimes works. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

My husband got the disposal to work, and took care of most of the clogged drain but couldn't quite get it all.

I called the landlord Monday morning and they sent someone out that afternoon. The repairman used a snake and got it unplugged and also replaced a rusted out pipe.

The repairman said the clog wasn't anything that was caused by us, these things just happen with older houses.

One thing he did say--never put egg shells down the garbage disposal~~they get crunched up but they sit in the pipes and other stuff catches on to them and causes problems.

And he said the best to clean the garbage disposal is to fill it up with ice cubes and let it run without water for a couple of minutes.

Everything is fine now
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Never put coffee grounds in the disposal as they will cause a clog.

You can clean the disposal by putting the ice cubes, some salt and a few slices of lemon in it and run it using water.

Finally, you can buy clear drain pipes made from very strong plastic. There is a little paddle inside the pipe which can be turned from outside the pipe when there is a clog which is visible through the pipe. Home Depot sells them. One of the best ideas I've ever seen.

When I redid the kitchen, I bought the disposal just one step up from what is usually put in new homes. My old one still worked but rule of thumb is when you put in a new sink, you change out the faucets, disposal and undersink plumbing. This new disposal only cost about $30 more but works so much better than the old one.

Glad you are unclogged :)

Love, Mikie