GARBAGE == DON'T let yourself get dumped on

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Apr 9, 2008.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Got this from a friend, it is so true:

The Law of Garbage

With so much negative press going around these days about gas prices, the economy and so on, we all feel like we're getting dumped on.

Here's a good way to look at it - and look past it too!

Ask yourselves:
    How often do you let other people's nonsense change your mood? Do you let a bad driver, rude waiter, curt boss, or an insensitive employee ruin your day?

Unless you're the Terminator, for an instant you're probably set back on your heels. However, the mark of a successful person is how quickly s/he can get back focus on what's important. Years ago I learned this lesson.

I learned it in, of all places, a New York City taxi cab. Here's what happened:

I hopped in a taxi, and took off for Grand Central Station. We were driving in the right lane when all of a sudden a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his breaks, skidded, and missed the other car's back end by just inches!

The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling bad words at us.

My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was FRIENDLY. So, I said, "Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your taxi and sent us BOTH to the hospital!"

And this is when my taxi driver told me what I now call, "The Law of Garbage"

Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it.

And if you let them, they'll dump it on you. When someone wants to dump on you, don't take it personally. You just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. You'll be happy you did.

So this was it: The "Law of Garbage"
    I started thinking, how often do I let Garbage Trucks run right over me? And how often do I take their garbage and spread it to other people: at work, at home, on the streets?

It was that day I said, "I'm not going to do it anymore."

I began to see garbage trucks. Like in the movie "The Sixth Sense," the little boy said, "I see Dead People." Well, now "I see Garbage Trucks." I see the load they're carrying. I see them coming to drop it off.

And like my Taxi Driver, I don't make it a personal thing; I just smile, wave, wish them well, and I move on.

One of the all-time favorite football players, Walter Payton, did this every day on the football field. He would jump up as quickly as he hit the ground after being tackled. He never dwelt on a hit. Payton was ready to make the next play his best.

Good leaders know they have to be ready for their next meeting. Good parents know that they have to welcome their children home from school with hugs and kisses. Leaders and parents know that they have to be fully present, and at their best for the people they care about.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks take over their day. What about you? What would happen in your life, starting today, if you let more garbage trucks pass you by?

Here's my bet: You'll be happier!

[This Message was Edited on 04/09/2008]
  2. jole

jole Member

Great post.....and a good reminder. Actually, I have very little garbage in my life these days since I go nowhere but to the doc, but occasionally my kids do call and complain to me about things that have happened in their lives, and I even let that bother me!!

I definitely wish I could have read this back in the days that I was still working! Maybe it could have relieved a little (or a LOT) of the stress I was under.
  3. ckball

ckball New Member

I have seen tis before but well worth reading again, you can see one coming a mile away so just avoid if possible otherwise just smile say have a nice day-Carla
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I call this keep the monkey on the other person's back. When someone wants to put the monkey on your back, you just ask the question, "and how do you plan to handle this?" You tactfully let them know it is THEIR problem, not yours.
  5. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

My mom sends a lot of garbage my way. I use to take it, but now she's stressed with me because I'm not taking her garbage no more. She resents me for not being her landfill anymore. I feel so much better just avoiding her because when I confront her, she acts like life is a game and giggles about it.

So no more garbage.

6. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Repeat after me.........."I am not a landfill"....LOL

I allow my daughter to do this to me, but am able to shake it off. I know she has to vent, sometimes I don't even have the phone to my ear. I love her so much and if this helps her out, I do it.

I do have to set boundaries though when she gets mean, which is a lot of times. If she is unhappy, then everyone is unhappy.

I learned people will do this to their "safe" people, and I am honored she feels that way, but enough is enough already.
  7. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

to "detatch with love". I don't know if I'll ever get it right in this lifetime, but I'm working on it.

Thanks, Victoria for a good post!

Hugs. dolores
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

Great Post!! Thanks for Sharing this! Now it all makes sence when i hear and see other people unloading their "garbage",,,,,,,,,,,Sis