Garden Com Post 1 CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Feb 28, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Hello all you gardeners! We have an official title and the first edition was closed. Isn't that exciting?

Anyways stop in and tell us if you are having some spring beauties or like me still buried under the snow.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2008]
  2. monica33flowers

Welcome ---- Of course you can stop in and visit and contribute. You don't have to have a garden to participate. I know Snog only has indoor plants and she is also part of the Garden Gang. LOL. Everyone is welcome to come and chat!

I think I will be starting my indoor seeds tomorrow and get a jump start on Mother Nature. At the rate we are going here in WI we won't see spring until May! LOL.
  3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I live in the KS/MO area and have a question about when to plant tomatoes and strawberries.

I have never tried to grow them before but have decided to try a little garden.

When is the proper time to plant seeds? Or do you suggest using starter plants? (I don't know the correct name).

Will I get fruit the first year from the strawberry vines?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

4. sisland

sisland New Member

We have a Garden Com post 1!

Hi,,,,,,If it were Me i would get the live plants and you will get fruit from the tomatoes the first year,,,,make sure the tomatoe plants have sturdy stocks when you buy them,,,,,,,also healthy leaves,,,,,

if you plant them in the ground you have to wait until all freezing temps have passed,,,,,witch you should be ok in KC,MO,,,,,,by april?

plant them at least 8-10" down and only have about 2" of the stock showing berfore the first leaf,,,,,,,at least this is how i have had good luck with them bareing more fruit,,,,,,

Strawberrys do well in containers too,,,,,if you buy the Really Healthy plants you should get fruit the first year but if not then the second year for sure!

use really good fertilized soil when you plant them!,,,,,,,,Goodluck!,,,,,Sis

5. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Thanks for the information! My daughter gets all sorts of plant books sent here to my house and so I scour them and get the idea "hey, I can do this"... We'll see!

But I will start looking for plants to put out after the last frost,,, right? How do you know when the 'last frost' is going to be? Heck, here in KC, you never know when that's going to happen!

6. mrdad

mrdad New Member

----on getting the new gardening Post seeded. I think it will
    be of great interest and attract gardeners and all people in-
    terested in natural beauty. A very good time to get it start-
    ed with Spring upon us! Best wishes on this most welcome
    addition to the Forum.

P.S. A clever choice of names as well![This Message was Edited on 02/28/2008]
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

The wall of water is also a great idea! but you can start them in containers in the house or on the porch if you have one,,,,You will love it!,,,,,

the frost is usually gone by May 15th up in MT, so i'm guessing that would be a good time to bet on in KC too!

growing your own tomatoes or any other veggie or fruit is rewarding,,,,,Glad your joinin' in!,,,,,,,,,,,Sis
  8. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Strawberrys are a favorite of mine.
    Also a favorite of deer, birds, ants, and kids:)

I try to have a big enough patch so that competition stays friendly.

The deer are the whole plant and can destroy a patch overnight.

Over 300 named varieties of strawberrys so fun to get different varieties, flavors, times of berry production. Raintree nursery has a good selection of Alpine/yellow strawberrys that don't need too much sun.

I don't think strawberrys are very picky about when planted, but depth planted important. Should have berrys first year if put in plants. They usually propagate by sending out runners, but can grow from seed so you can have your very own variety.

A good way to get plants is to find someone who already has strawberrys. They tend to overcrowd and growers pretty generous with giving away extra plants.

Happy gardening, mr Bill
  9. therealmadscientist

Yes, probably best to start inside house or buy plants if only plan to have a few.

A bunch of tricks around growing tomatoes. One of mine is to turn sprinklers on when a threat of frost. The droplets keep leaves from freezing. With a green house or growing next to house with plastic over can grow almost year round.

I grow tomatoes, love them, but they have a very perverse way of getting ripe exactly one week before first frost.

I may try some seeds this year from supermarket tomatoes that are indifferent to the length of daylight.

Yes, in a garden with basil, carrots, cherry tomatoes, edible pod peas, and a salt shaker can be a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

Can't wait! Cheers, your mr Bill
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

their easy for beginners too. i used tiered pots for mine that was designed for use in australia during drought. my backyard is small so i have to fit as much in as i can.

i used two varieties and bare root plants last year; this gave me a longer harvesting season.

my backyard is not suitable for tall and potentially top heavy potted plants. though surrounded by high walls it's affected by storms and strong winds. so i grow crops like tomatoes in fixed wall planters.

my tomatoes were tumbling varieties which makes them ideal for pots and atrractive to look at. last year i grew both yellow and red tomatoes but had issues with blight due to the very wet summer we had. the lettuces and young leaves were great though

tc, tansy
  11. kjade

kjade New Member

Hi Monica and all:
    I just noticed this thread, and I would LOVE to be a part of the garden post! I enjoy gardening very much, and cannot wait for spring so I can get out there and get dirty!

I will be looking forward to future posts and I'm sure you all will have great tips and ideas.

Thanks for starting this Monica!
  12. therealmadscientist

In Las Vegas there is a layer of caliche just beneath surface. It may as well be cement.

Must break through it to grow any trees. I've heard of using dynamite. Once through caliche things can grow well.

Or, maybe, I'm just looking for an excuse to use dynamite:) Mr Bill

Hmmm, could be easier than roto-tilling.

[This Message was Edited on 02/29/2008]
  13. jole

jole Member

Before getting ill, when our 5 kids were small, I always planted a huge garden and would can lots of food for winter. It was a lot of work, but I would rather be out in the garden than in the house cleaning. LOL

There is something about working with nature that causes a calm and peaceful feeling to flow. It was especially rewarding whenever the kids would come out and help weed because they WANTED to, and the time spent together was invaluable. They, however, would not pick off the tomato worms!!

I planted potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, peas, radishes, cucumbers, zuchinni, corn, cantelope and watermellon. Probably more that I don't remember. Most years the racoons got the corn, but whenever we did it was great!

Usually I planted my tomatoes from plants, not seeds, and would plant around the beginning of May. I know some who plant the middle of April, but have had theirs freeze out. If just planting a few plants, I wouldn't worry 'cause you can always cover them overnight and they will be fine. Be sure to put cages or stakes around them to protect them from the wind. Oh, they are soooo much better tasting than the store bought ones!

Wish I could still do all the gardening....(sigh) I do have a small flower garden though. Have to have my flowers, even if they're wildflowers!

[This Message was Edited on 02/29/2008]
  14. bct

bct Active Member

For me anyway! I always make spring be the first of March; this is the time for me to get the plants out of the "sun-room" and outside against the house, where they will be protected more or less. Mostly named varieties of geraniums I have kept going through the years.

I won't mess with tomatoes until June 1. I am going to buy some plants mail-order, and some from farmer's market. I'll only grow about 6 or 7 plants. I cover the plants with remay?, a floating plant cover for warmth and protection. I use it mainly to keep the plants safe from the deer at night, and pull it off during the day. Works pretty good.

Deer are my biggest garden pest. The ONLY protective repellant I have found is a product called Liquid Fence, which is organic and VERY SMELLY. Use gloves when spraying, and pray for no wind. I think it has garlic and rotten eggs in the mix. Of course the optimal would be to have a REAL fence, but mine is so broken down (deer, bears, time) I give up.

As for ornamentals, I grow what the deer don't like, as much as I am able : Euphorbias, rosemaries, lavender, daturas, Cannas, nicotianas, etc., etc.

Gotta go, sun just popped out, and so must I. Got some really nice crocuses this year, and first daffs. just open. Bye,
  15. sisland

sisland New Member

Spring is Here too! so exciting! can't wait to start diggin' in the dirt!,,,,the snow is almost gone! yea! There is a community garden where i live so that means i have a 10'By 6' space to call my own,,,,,

Thats where my strawberries are and where i plant the sunflowers,,,,,,the weeds are so hard to keep up with so i just do the tomatoe plants in the containers!,,,,,,Thanks overwhelm for the water wall reminder!,,,,going to look for them!

The stawberries are going on their 4th year in the ground so it's so nice to get the fruit every year now!,,,,,,,,I'll probably plant radishes and onions this year too,,oh and snow peas!,,,my body will be screaming in pain!,,,,

planting pots of pink petunias,,,and multi colored pansies and bright yellow and orange Marigolds is so much fun!,,,,,,,,,,,,Can't wait,,,,,,,Sis
  16. dolphin59

dolphin59 New Member

dear monica ,my garden here in the uk is blooming all the primroses are out daffs ,tulips ,crocuses,and even some snow drops .my hebe is ging mad too,just planted my sunflowers and garden is weed free ,got loads of pots and will plant the veg and frost tender herbs soon too from dolphin 59
  17. mrdad

mrdad New Member

For all those in the neighborhood, there will be a "FLOWER &

GARDEN SHOW" at the Cow Palace in "San Francisco" weekend

of March 21th thru the 25th! Many landscape garden displays

are visible at the show as well as tons of other ideas and

information exchange! (Be there or be SQUARE)!!!

P.S. Entry Fee is "dirt cheap"! If anything is "cheap"anymore?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2008]
  18. springwater

springwater Active Member

since i live on the Indian Subcontinent and temperatures are warming up now, my garden is beginning to bloom. I have fiery orange calendulas, petunias, cinerarias, sweet peas, snapdragons and clarkias. And yes, I have been able to multiply my geraniums. The other flowers were also grown from last years seeds. So I didnt have to spend on buying seeds.

I have a problem tho and it happens most every clarkias which are in the about to bloom stage are getting yellow...and then they just dry off. Someone i asked said its because too much moisture...and to water less...Im trying that...does anyone else have any idea what could be the problem? There are no bugs, i checked.

I have some other plants /flowers - the names of which i dont know...just picked them up from friends and other places.

I would have loved to live in an area with deer. Here, the sight of a wild deer would have poachers immediately on to them. Beef is not allowed as they are considered holy,so we have cows roaming around the roads and lanes. And helping themselves to vegetable sellers baskets. Deermeat would seem like a delicacy from heaven to the people.

We have lophophorus bird visiting the garden sometimes, inspite of the dogs. And pigeons raised several chicks inside my bathroom on the window ledge. Not this time, tho I threw out their attempts to make a nest three times before they got the idea they were not welcome. I just dont have the energy to clean up their mess. It occured to me that the couple who were trying to build may have been the chicks which were born there and i felt sad but aargh i dont have the energy now.

God Bless

19. monica33flowers

Well, I am just so happy to see the Gardening thread going strong. Who would've guessed we had so many gardeners!

Wall of Water: Hey, I've never heard about this could someone explain it to me.

Here in WI we are still covered in snow and ice. My SO, Randy, and I were talking yesterday that it just may take until May for the snow to go away and even the lakes to break up all the ice.

Mr. Dad - Thank you so much for your kind words! I thought you might like the name for our garden thread. LOL

Sis - OK, so you are beginning to unthaw in Montana, huh? Hopefully, that means after this next blast of arctic air (negative temps) that we will see a warming trend.

I was going to try and address everyone in this post but I just don't have a very clear mind today. LOL.

I did get a few plants started indoors yesterday and I need to start even more. Since I won't be working that means my plant budget will basically be Nil!

Last year I planted a salsa garden because nothing is better than fresh salsa from your garden. I also did a lot of herbs last year as well and I plan to do even more this year.

20. therealmadscientist

with a lot of pretty colors. I counted about ten colors in one picture. I'm surprised the birds survive the poachers. We used to have pheasants in a home in Spokane, Washington State. One of our neighbors would put out traps, but we just watched them. They would know just when the corn was ripe and tear up the corn plants every fall.

Clarkias. Not familar with, but one info source indicated that Clarkias die off with summer heat and like cooler temperatures.

I always thought Nepal or places near it, were colder. Surprised that warmer where you are than here in mountains of California.

Oh, 2008 is UN Year of the Potato. A favorite plant of mine.....the small marble sized ones are great in soups.
    Can last over winter and can be like periennials. Always fun to feel around roots searching for the first potatos in the summer.
    Cheers, mr bill