Garden Com Post 10 ---- Closed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Jul 11, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I can't believe we've been thru 10 volumes already!

With each new volume I am going to add a new picture of something from my garden to share with all of you if you care to take a peek.

OK, I'm seriously bummed out about my hummingbirds. They started road construction and I know they don't like the noise but Randy and I were outside talking to a neighbor and one zip right by our heads. Our neighbor just laughed an said he has about 10 of them in his backyard. I have my yard all decked out for those little guys so hopefully soon they will cross the road. LOL.

Well it looks like Sixtyslady is going to have a bumper crop of squash. It sounds like her garden is doing wonderfully!

BCT: I hope you are doing well my friend, I miss ya.

I learned the other day a new home remedy for mosquitoes since we have gazillions here in WI from all the rain. You just spray on good old fashioned Listerine all over ya and they hate it. It has been working pretty good until I have to go work in the bushes or something then nothing will save ya. LOL.

So, their was my little tip for today for natural mosquito spray. PLUS, it will work on hubby leaving you alone at night as well. LOL!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/29/2008]
  2. bct

bct Active Member

Monica: a beautiful pic. of your hydrangeas. On the coast here in N. Calif. they do very well, but I'm far enough inland --about 20 miles-- that I have to water them too much in our arid summers. I finally gave them up, along with my rhododendrons. Fortunately, the Camellias are tough, and don't ask for much.

We are getting quite a few squash now, and waiting desperately for ripe tomatoes. I haven't had a fresh tomato since last ?Nov. I think. I just won't buy them from the store -- and no, it's not because of the Salmonella scare, it's because I like tomatoes that taste really good.

Our garden is a riot of colour: Cosmos, Cleome, lilies, Verbenas, snaps., etc. The day-lilies are very good this year too. The sweetpeas were planted too late, and are kind of wimpy, but smell good. Gladiolus and dahlia buds are showing colour, and I'm looking forward to them.

I've not been doing too much; I am taking Cipro (for either a UTI or prostatitis) and it's making me feel like crap. I have peripheral neuropathy and the Cipro seems to be exacerbating it. Along with the CFS, it's really doing a number on me -- I understand Cipro can make you tired.

Herbs: All the different lavenders are doing well. I'm especially happy with Lavender 'Silver Edge', which, as it's name implies, has a silver (actually it's white) edge to each leaf. Just got this a few months ago, so it hasn't passed through a winter yet, but I think it will do alright.

Birds are so funny. Last week in town as I was waiting in my car, I watched a raven keep flying into the back of a parked pick-up that had bags of groceries in. It managed to break into a bag of something or other, and kept flying away with pieces of whatever it was it found, then coming back for more. So funny!

Lots of hummers now (the birds, fortunately) of two kinds --Anna's and Allen's-- and their young. Battles rage over the flowers. I don't have any feeders. I just heard a pee- wee calling out the window..... guess it's calling me out to sit for a while....

That's all for now friends,

3. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

LOL. Funny. So glad I'm a Hermitologist:). thanks,lol, your mr bill.
  4. pasara

pasara New Member

this thread is too hard to keep up with regularly, but i do read now and then. just wanted to share that i think i FINALLY outwitted this dirty wabbit that likes to snip my peas off at the base and "mow" my lettuce. Yes, Elmer finally resorted to the chicken wire approach. so far no signs of digging under. the little bunny that loves me is about the size of a softball and awfully cute, but i see through its wily ways.

the other funny thing: i just went outside and my squash plant blew right over in the wind. it looked pretty funny, though a little sad and humiliated. kind of like an upside down turtle.

i'm jealous of your hummingbirds monica. i put out feeders and have all sorts of flowers they are supposed to like, but i have never seen one in my yard. i keep hoping one day one will stray my way.
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hey, Barry,

If you go to the first URL you can see the seagull in Scotland who goes shopping everyday. He always takes the same brand. A different video shows him opening the package and munching chips a few feet from the door.

I wouldn't think he'd enjoy chips since birds have no teeth.

Various folks in the neighborhood pay for the chips.

If you go to the second URL, you can see some caladiums.
    Gordon has several which are in bloom. They have spaths rather than flowers. They grow very fast.

According to what I read, the look like the coleus, but are not related.

You'd better watch out, Mr Bill. The study of hermits has been know to be hazardous. They are not only known to be solitary, but irascible.

Very nice hydrangeas, Monica. They always remind of old-fashioned hats. Minnie Trouten always wore that kind to church. (Minnie was the village librarian for umpteen years.)

6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm taking you up on your invitation, Monica! I love to garden but I'm not able to do much now. I even have Queen Anne's Lace in amoung my rock incline that I'm pretending are flowers. My condo neighbors may have other ideas.....

I have one miniature Pee Gee hygrangea and two Tardivas but they're not blooming yet (I'm in MI). I've noticed other hydrangeas here and there with blooms so I'm wondering why not mine? Last year they bloomed in the very late summer but I thought it was because it was only their second year. (You know the saying, I'm sure: First year, plants sleep. Second year they creep - and the third year they leap!)

Does anyone have a Forest Pansy Redbud? When I moved here three years ago, I planted it and it's gorgeous. It has the typical tiny lavender/pink redbud flowers in the spring but the leaves are what I love best. They're a heart-shaped, large and small, amazing deep sage green with a burgandy cast to them. I'll put mine in my profile from last year's photo. It's even more lovely this summer.

If anyone wants a beautiful small specimen tree I'd highly recommend it.

Happy gardening, everyone!

7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Only two of my tomato plants are setting fruit......I've got plenty of blossoms but no fruit. A gardener friend told us to give them a whack to help pollinate them, which I have done (gently!) and still no fruit. Any suggestions?

8. tansy

tansy New Member

We've had lots of rain but I think it's also because my composting bin is situated next to my hydrangea which is producing really deep purple and pink flowers. This plant has been left to fend for itself mostly and was already established when I moved here over 20 years ago.

Got attacked by midges a while back so tried a natural insect repllent; the smell was so strong I reckon it ought to be sold as a human repellant too. Unless things get really bad again I'll stick to using tea trea and citronella oils.

Though my arms are still very problematic I've managed to keep myself well supplied with veggies and fruit grown organically in pots.

Had whitefly on some strawberry plants so used a fatty acid spray then planted basil; no more whitefly. :) Aside from the usual slug and snail problems my overcrowded planting seems to be pretty disease resistant and bountiful so far this year.

I would love to have more open ground and the physical ability to grow even more produce. My city backyard is typically small and it's mostly concrete. Using pots is my only real option but they are constantly blown over when the winds become strong.

No hummingbirds here but my garden attracts many other birds, craneflies, butterflies and bees. Ironically I am doing better bees-wise than my parents who live in a very rural area but are surrounded by farmers who use pesticides.

tc, Tansy

9. greygodess

greygodess New Member

The day lilies are blooming now along with the asiatic and easter lilies. Waiting for the sky gazer and tiger lilies to bloom.

Also blooming are the Veronica Speedwell, roses, black eyed susans, hostas, hollyhocks and delphiniums. I am waiting for the sunflowers. They are starting to get their heads. I like the way they turn to the sun throughout the day.

Our tomato plants are doing well and the green beans are starting.

I had an occasion to get bit by mosquitoes several times the other day and did not have one reaction. Very odd since that hasn't always been the case. So do I still use the repellant or not? Umh. Godbless
  10. therealmadscientist

I think tomatoes are supposed to be sensitive to the night time temperatures when it comes to setting.

A plant hormone product called "blossom set" may help.

Just read an Audubon article on bees, especially about natives bees. Perhaps pollination a problem. A bit tedious but perhaps some hand pollination might help. (The article had something about touching flowers using a tuning fork at middle C to get pollen to release efficiently.)

"Hermitology" You're right, Rockgor, I'd better be careful. Maybe use a different word. Studying hermits does sound rather unrewarding. lol, mr bill

All sorts of bugs and honeybee varieties on the carrot flowers. Even saw a couple of mosquitoes.....I wonder if some mosquitoes just eat nectar.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2008]
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

"There can be no other occupation like gardening in
    which, if you were to creep up behind someone at
    their work, you would find them smiling." ~Mirabel Osler

It came with a beautiful photo but that didn't copy.

12. bct

bct Active Member

We picked our first Early Girl tomato yesterday. Toms. won't set fruit if the day temps. are too high, or night temps. too cold. They usually pollinate themselves, but a little tap or shake is good if you are growing them in a greenhouse.

Also getting a lot of squash now, and also basil and chives. It's getting more difficult for me to do much in the garden. I like most to sit in one of my leafy bowers, with my herbs and flowers around me, and to watch the birds and bugs, and to listen. Since I'm so rural, I hear no traffic....

Lots of geraniums in bloom; some I've had for 25 yrs. I used to belong to the International Geranium Society, and try to keep my more uncommon varieties propagated so I don't lose them. I don't grow hundreds like I used to, only about 2 dozen or so; they all have to be brought into the sun room for the winter, so are a bit of a hassle, but worth it.

Regards to all,
  13. pasara

pasara New Member

Tansy if you would like to create more gardening space and pots get blown over you could get large wooden planters or have someone handy build you some. At a lot of garden stores you can find half barrels and they work really well. I use large terra cotta and plastice terra cotta looking pots and they are way too heavy to blow over.

Container gardening is especially good for people who don't have a lot of strength because you can make them the height you would like and since you use potting soil it is always loose and light.

Beans coming in now and peppers. I am getting a trickle of cherry tomatoes and a roma is almost there.

What are people planting NOW for late season? I live in Minnesota and too hot for the cool crops to go in, but I think still have time to get some quick growing things to replace what I am harvesting. Ideas?
  14. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I need some ideas on what to do with zucchini, I just made bread yesterday.and have give them to everyone we know.
    any ideas on how to freeze. these will be a big help.
    Its been raining here and humid so our garden is just great. our string beans are growing too. I have baby watermelons and from the looks I"m going to have a truck load. same way with our acorn,and butternut squash.
    loads of tomato,s but their not ripe yet.
    so right now all I have for the farmers market is beans and of course zucchini,boy do I have zucchini.but should have sweet corn by next week. got pickles to make today I"m trying to find my old receipe for lime pickles.
    well I"m headed for hillbilly lane,garden to see what I have to pick today.Oh chickens are doing great,we will switch to laying feed in 2 weeks. they should start to lay in Aug. have a good one everybody. sixtyslady.
  15. Denamay

Denamay New Member

You could send me some of your zucchini, I would love to have some, just kidding. Love Denamay
  16. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

It is great....let me know if you want the recipe...
    Also, I have frozen grated raw zucchini with good results- just drain it some before packing it in containers.
    Have you tried zucchini pickles? They are good too.
    To MadScientist- I just found the blossom spray last night at the store, so I went out this morning and sprayed the plants and blossoms, as per directions. Hopefully some fruit will start to set now. Never heard about the tuning fork idea- do you think I could just hum to them?
    I'm envious of you people that have ripe tomatoes and green beans- two of my favorites. I did pick my little apricot tree and got some nice "cots" as we call them in Washington.......
  17. sisland

sisland New Member

Hello Everyone!

Well i'm in the Tomato Blossom -no-Fruit thing too!,,,,,Our Plants are very large and Healthy with alot of Blooms,,,,Impatience is the word for it i guess,,,,The strawberries are Done:(,,,,,,maybe a stragler or 2,,,,The Sunflowers are 5 ft now and Beautiful!,,

The Russian Grampa and Gramma have the most Beautiful little garden i've seen in a long time!,,,,Their tomato plants are Small but have medium round fruit already!,,,,,,,,,Onions are Huge along with Squash,,Beans ,,,lettuce,,,garlic,,,,radishes,,,,Daisies,,,and lupine,,,,I hope you all have a great week!,,,,,,Sis

p.s, speaking of Pickles: My Mom used to make watermelon Pickles with alittle W. Rind in the jar,,,wish i had that Recipie!
  18. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

hope it clears up soon. Denamay wish I could send you some zucchini. and Terri I would like the recipe for the soup.
    I"m going to get some zucchini ready for freezing this week.
    the 4-H fair is this weekend so I have to help our Grandson with his pony,and we made him a costume as a Rodeo clown,and the pony is dressed as the bull.
    he also shows ih halter and walk trot.
    Going to be a busy week.
    I told my husband I'd like to enter some of our Garden veg in the county fair over labor day,he,s worked so hard and had such a beautiful garden it would be great if he could pick up a ribbon for all his hard labor.
    well have to cut and run,have a good one sixtyslady.
  19. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I wanted to let you know if you Google "Zucchini Recipes" you will find tons of recipes. Also, Food Network should have a bunch of recipes as well.

I will return later to chat with everyone else. I just have to get rid of this darn migraine.
  20. therealmadscientist

Interesting question. What comes to mind is herbs, especially Basil.
    Not sure if you are going to leave fallow until next year, though probably you are planning a fall crop.

Seems like there should be some intensive gardening methods like planting in a new crop before harvest first crop.

I suppose could try baby carrots(might take too long), and, of course, radishes. Maybe beet leaves.

Should be time enough for growing baby potatoes.

Oh, I think the trick to growing zucchini's is to not
    plant more than one. lol

[This Message was Edited on 07/21/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/22/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/22/2008]