Garden Com Post 13 --- closed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Sep 13, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Hello All,

Lydia: I found the information on Garden Web. It seems that you can either dry the beans or eat them. From the sounds of it they are some type of Italian bean. At least that is what they are saying on Garden Web. A few people said they taste great but I really have no knowledge of this type of bean.

They call it PaPa Jim Bean. Anyone know another name for it? Thanks

I hope this information helps.

OK, we all need to get our thinking caps on and help Grammy with her soon to be garden. Here is her post from th last volume.

You've all inspired me 09/10/08 10:24 AM

Plus we've had a fair amount of rain in my little corner of Texas lately, lol!

I've got a small area between what passes for a patio and the end of what passes for the tractor shed that I'm starting to plan. Going to get hubby or FIL to till it this weekend, mainly to even out the dirt and loosen it some more. That'll make it easier to pull up the baby trees or whatever they are growing around there, too.

I'm talking about roughly a 15'x15' area. I could make it a lot longer, but I need something small. My plan is to incorporate veggies into it next spring. I'd also like to start with perinneals (sp?) that can be planted in fall and/or spring so there will be less overall back-breaking work required. Probably a little grass between the patio part and the garden part, just enough to frame it and ride the lawn tractor one swipe through it. I'm aiming for as easy as I can make it.

I've also got the paint for the side of the tractor shed, it's between a terra cotta and a redwood stain color. Am getting a couple sheets of lattice this weekend for hubby to cut for me so I can plant several climbing roses to cover what will still be basically an ugly tin wall with paint on it, hehe. I'm thinking three climbing roses with some sort of bush between them, not sure if that's a good idea, will the roses just climb and cover up a bush? Or does it depend how you train them to climb?

Otherwise I'm clueless about perinneal plants except for bulbs. Any and all ideas welcome!

I'm also going to ask hubby to get some more dirt from behind the pond damn so I can make it a big raised bed to help the bending/back issues. I'd like a water feature, too.....dreaming here....but I bet water features are going on sale right about now. Sure, building one out of rock would be nice but we don't have any natural rock around here and I won't get much or any help building one. Buying one might make that within reach.

Any suggestions anyone would like to give me will be much appreciated! I'm not positive what zone I'm in, I live about an hour SE of Dallas, TX.

Thanks in advance! And thank you all for inspiring me!

[This Message was Edited on 09/13/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2008]
  2. monica33flowers

When do the hummingbirds migrate? This year I've only had one hummingbird that comes to visit. The other day I saw him 6 times! Before that I was lucky to maybe see him twice a week.

I'm just curious if they are migrating because my one lonely hummingbird hasn't been back.
  3. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

well the activty on my hillbilly lane is slowing done some.
    Garden is just about done producing.
    But my hens are laying really good now,much better since we butcher the roosters.
    I found 2 wire basket at the dollar store with handles that work really well for gathering the eggs and then I clean them and put them into cartons and there ready to sell.
    hope everyone had a good harvest from their gardens.
    I planted hibisus and there huge beautiful flowers this year. I also have a salmon colored one in a pot on the deck and its become so big I don"t know how I"m going to bring it in the hubby wants to cut it back ,but I don"t know if we should do that. any ideas?
    well got to run have a good one. sixtyslady.
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

You are really getting after this gardening thing!,,,,sounds really fun at your place!,,,I'm glad that the garden thread has inspired you to do this!,,,,HUgs!,,,Sis,,,,Keep goin'! and keep us posted!
  5. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Must be nice to have a hubby with a tractor!(or am I just being jealous?lol). It can be more fun with a companion interested in the garden, of course.

Meanwhile, I think you have inspired me to do some more actual work in garden.....being somewhat a procrastinator I tend to spend most of my time in garden just observing and making big plans.

Oh, I don't envy the copperheads! As a little kid I was in San Antonio, Texas, and still remember a some people cleaning out a nest of cottonmouths. Unforgettable, very white mouths!!

For my semi-perenial garden I planning to put some vegetables that I dont use all that often, but I like, though they tend to sit it refrigerator too long.

Chives, and garlic chives for sure. Will see if onions and garlic will be usable if just leave in ground. Potatoes will work, and won't have to carry from store.
    Parsley. Probably some horseradish, though I've heard some varieties can take over garden. Carrots, but mainly for the flowers that the bees and lady bugs seem to love. May experiment with some other plants. Aspargus already growing(a very pretty, fern like plant).
    I planted a few Jerusalem Artichokes, but they seem to be too large and vigorous for my garden and shade other plants. I may move them to a place with less sun.

Anyhow, happy experimenting! Cheers, your mr Bill

Oh, did I mention that I planted some Artemesia Absinthe and made some homemade absinthe? Tastes absolutely awful. Like drinking turpentine. One sip will put me off drinking anything for the rest of night.

[This Message was Edited on 09/22/2008]
  6. therealmadscientist

to the snakes after they were vacuumed up.....but maybe its better, best not to know.

Meanwhile, I don't know much about a asparagus ferns other than seeing a few and thinking, yep, look just like asparagus.

I guess I would be inclined to go for the real asparagus plants. Once established, they are very drought resistant, though tops tend to die off in winter. I like the old fashion Martha Washington variety because they have rather pretty red berries that stay on all winter.
    Asparagus can get 5 or so feet tall, but don't entirely shade out plants behind it from sun.

Anyhow, I got a few laughs imagining you riding the tractor unsupervised when your hubby was gone:)

Cheers, your mr bill
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

is winding down big time up here in Northern Montana:(
    The temps are at the freezing mark now at night,,,,,I finally have to say goodbye to my Petunias,,,,They last longer than any of the others,,,so pretty!,,,Need to do some weeding in the strawberry patch!

The Russian couple keep giving me carrots (Big Ones),,,,and Zuhcinni,,,,,,The carrots are sweet!
    The Sunflowers are still standing tall and Beautiful!,,Their red and yellow faces are always a welcome site!,,,,,,,,,,My Dehydrator has been Smokin',,lol,,,,,,apples,,jerky,,,,tomatoes,,,onions,,,zuh,,,,bannanas,,,,,i'll keep exsperminting!,,,,

Hope you all are having a great week!,,,,,,,,S

[This Message was Edited on 09/24/2008]
  8. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

but garden is about done except for peppers and tomato,s
    still trying to finish our siding project on our house.
    We order j molding and it takes forever to get it.
    It took us over a month to get the siding and the shingles after we placed the order.
    Went to the farmers market and they won"t let us sell our eggs.the health board says no. so I"ll just have to stick with my own egg route.
    Our eggs are so much fresher than what you can buy in the store,but thats rules and regulations for you.
    makes me sad when I think about how our chickens get to roam everyday and are fed organic food,but yet the public has to buy their eggs at a store and the chickens never get out of a cage.
    Oh well I have enough people that will buy them direct from me.
    So I know my little red hens are doing their part to make this world a healthy place.
    hope everyone is having a good week. sixtyslady
  9. Jorgie

Jorgie New Member

10. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I put in a new picture,its of my hubby and me.better known as tater salad that would be my husband, and tater tot that would be me.
    our daughter says she going to put it in the paper next year for our Anniversary.Our friends and family will get a good laugh.
    thats tater salad on my hubby,s lip.
    have a great day. sixtyslady.
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

everydobby is busy in the garden. That's the nice thing about a garden. You can work all day, everyday. If the garden is of any size at all, you will never run outta work.

I thought I posted about Gordon's orchid before, but maybe not. You know how it is w/ brain fog. Liable to plant the bulb upside down. (I read it doesn't matter. The bulb knows which way to grow.)

Anyhoo, if you go to above you can see the orchid in question. Scroll down to the first picture. Click on same and it will get bigger.

The plant is a Brassia Nodosa. Comes from the rain forest. This means it wants a lot of watering, especially here in Southern CA. Once or twice a day all I can manage tho.

The brassias live in the trees. Pollinated by wasps. They are epiphytes, not parasites. This one is white. Not sure how old it is, but most orchids don't bloom till at least 5 years old. It has 3 flowers on one spike (stem).

Gordon also has a first year raspberry bush. Altho we were told it wouldn't have berries the first year, it has already produced a couple pints.

12. therealmadscientist

Grammy27: I have this great imaging of you driving the tractor, and behind, hooked up like a train, are a trailer, the golf cart, the utility trailer, and a red wagon.:)

Rock, several pints of raspberries in first year pretty amazing. Is it in a pot or outside?

Today, I got catalogues from One Green World and Raintree nursery.......I just want one of everything, all sounds so good. Cheers, mr Bill
  13. therealmadscientist

Both Raintree and One Green World have great online catalogs.

And both have interesting citrus and lemons (one small citrus may be hardy down to about zero degrees. Hmmm, I wonder if some way to graft so that regular oranges would be more frost resistant.)

The bad news is that they won't ship citrus to Texas or Florida. I don't know exactly why. Lot's of other interesting plants though.

Meanwhile, still hasn't frosted here. I get reports from nearby locales of frost.....feels like an army of frost is surrounding and approaching. No, no!

Haven't decided how much a fight to put up this year. I planted some of the more cold sensitive plants next to the house so I can tape a plastic sheet to the wall that will drape down. I should probably tape plastic to whole outside of house because doesn't seem to be any real insulation. Most likely I will retreat to the bedroom for the winter(my favorite place anyway). Cost about $400 a month to keep whole house warm during coldest part of last winter.

Got some "double blooming" Irises from American Meadows. Decided that everything doesn't have to edible. Some hardy Jasmine vines, in One Green World catalog, look interesting also.

Cheers, your mr Bill
  14. therealmadscientist

Yes, sometimes I just can't get started on yard. Or plants will sit out of ground too long before planting. Last spring, for awhile, when I got a plant, my first thought was, "Oh,no. I'll have to dig a another new hole."

The soil OK here, but a bit rocky, so not smooth going when digging a hole.
    I get bursts of active energy sometimes and get a lot done. (When I get a burst of house cleaning energy, it's so rare that I cancel everything else.)

Could you use the super mulcher vacuum to move the pile of mulch?

Meanwhile, I looked into citrus. Seems to be in a bit of flux. A famed story is the good tasting Juanita Tangerine. Someone planted a seed from a supermarket fruit in 1985, and it survived a freeze that killed all the other citrus trees in county.

A citrus related plant called the Flying Dragon is probably cold hardy to minus 30F, but a bit gnarly, thorned, and mainly used for hedges.

Growing a hardy variety flat against house can help to get a tree through winter.

Most citrus are grown on rootstock, or dwarf rootstock, because may or may not come up true to parent.

My personal experience with citrus is very limited, though very good. As a kid in Los Angeles, an abandoned orange orchard was next door. The oranges would stay on tree long past normal harvesting and were supersweet and delicious.

Some one had a Meyer Lemon in a large pot....big large lemons but the best for me was the fragrance that would fill room.

Oh, the hardy jasmine vines are evergreen so I'll definitely try a couple.
    I tried some hardy gardenias a couple years ago, but they didn't make it here.
    May have been to wet in winter.

Getting our first real rain today in northern california....since early spring. One stream would be dry in afternoon, and have running water at night.

OK, enough, must do some work, cheers, your mr Bill
  15. bct

bct Active Member

Hey, I think if you want to grow citrus where you are (N.E. Calif?) you should go with the Meyer Lemons in pots, just like you mentioned. I had one for many years. It produced heavily. Being potted, it was easy to move to shelter in winter. Flying Dragon not good for eating.

P.S. Had any frost yet?

16. monica33flowers

I'm so sorry I've been MIA lately but I haven't been feeling very good.

I was so bummed on Saturday ---- we got our first hard frost. All of my flowers look just terrible. I guess winter here in WI is inevitable.

Have any of you started thinking about next year's garden? I've been pouring over catalogs and I purchased a bunch of tulip and daffodils.

I am happy they are finally almost to end of the road construction on my street. This is where I had my largest bed of flowers. At the same time I'm thinking this is my chance to down size this garden. I just can't do it all anymore and I have to be realistic.

My neighbor will come over and rototill this space since they just dumped dirt over clay. I need to add some peat moss (huge bale) and add some compost. Then the bed will be a fresh start for me in the spring.

Does anyone have any software programs for landscaping? I'm thinking of buying one and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I talked with a couple of guy that do landscape work and they thought if I planned some gardens with their landscape work that I could make some good money. Food for thought.

I do have one question ---- would all of you like to keep the Garden Com Post going when winter sets in? we could all still dream of what we are going to do in the fall. Well, all of you let me know your thoughts.

Happy Gardening!
  17. bct

bct Active Member

Yes! Let's keep the Com Post steaming all through the winter. There's always something to chat about, and some of us live in climates where roses bloom all year round. I've also noticed that this thread attracts animal and bird lovers too. And hey, don't we have house plants?

Monica, you have been MIA haven't you? So have I. My computer was down for three weeks, and then my neck went out, followed by my stomach (which was caused by meds for the neck!), and so on. I DO hope you get to feeling better soon... I too am thinking of getting a hell of a lot of tulips this year!

18. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I would like to see the garden post go on this winter.
    In good ole Il there,s not much going on in the garden in the winter.
    But in our wooded area we connect with the if anyone has a good suggestion as to how to keep our little squrriel,s out of the bird feeders please post them.
    I for one need to keep heading outside in the winter so I don,t get depressed.
    We're just clearing the garden to day and talking about what we have to do to get the hen house ready for winter.
    I have about 48 beautiful eggs every day,we found a all year farm market in a near by town that will let us sell our eggs.
    I just love the farm markets ,
    and of course we have to get the stall set up for our mare to foal in March.
    hope to get some pictures on my post of my pretty hens.
    I didn"t realize that chickens have a personality all of their own. have a great day. sixtyslady
  19. bct

bct Active Member

Grammy 27, I haven't thought of guineas in years! My relatives in Texas used to raise them, but I don't remember ever eating one. Do you eat them, use their eggs, or just enjoy them? They are fascinating birds, and quite pretty too. My neighbours years ago kept peacocks; we could hear them from a couple acres over from us. Pretty, but noisy.

Sixtyslady, I have seen squirrel-proof bird feeders advertised in Audubon Magazine. I guess squirrels are a major problem with feeders. As for me, I just throw bird seed out into the front yard in an open area away from any cover where my cat might crouch; it works pretty well. I use a very light-weight pair of binoculars to look up close when I'm outside, or from windows in the house. I just looked out the kitchen window and saw a little downey woodpecker about five feet from my face; it was checking out the loose bark on a Siberian honeysuckle bush. A really nice view! Like you, sixtyslady, I am always outside in the winter, for the same reasons. And hey, I am so glad your egg scene has worked out, and you found a place to sell them! I've switched entirely to ranch eggs, and will NEVER return to factory.

OK, the sun has broken through the morning fog, 10 a.m., time to go outside for a while. I've got to pick some more golden gem cherry tomatoes, think about making pesto, harvesting the thyme to dry, and repotting a couple of house plants.....

Regards to all,