Garden Com Post 14 CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Oct 7, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

The new volume is here. I am going to copy and paste Barry's last post to grammy since he has lots of great tips!

Guineas and Squirrels! 10/07/08 10:12 AM

Grammy 27, I haven't thought of guineas in years! My relatives in Texas used to raise them, but I don't remember ever eating one. Do you eat them, use their eggs, or just enjoy them? They are fascinating birds, and quite pretty too. My neighbours years ago kept peacocks; we could hear them from a couple acres over from us. Pretty, but noisy.

Sixtyslady, I have seen squirrel-proof bird feeders advertised in Audubon Magazine. I guess squirrels are a major problem with feeders. As for me, I just throw bird seed out into the front yard in an open area away from any cover where my cat might crouch; it works pretty well. I use a very light-weight pair of binoculars to look up close when I'm outside, or from windows in the house. I just looked out the kitchen window and saw a little downey woodpecker about five feet from my face; it was checking out the loose bark on a Siberian honeysuckle bush. A really nice view! Like you, sixtyslady, I am always outside in the winter, for the same reasons. And hey, I am so glad your egg scene has worked out, and you found a place to sell them! I've switched entirely to ranch eggs, and will NEVER return to factory.

OK, the sun has broken through the morning fog, 10 a.m., time to go outside for a while. I've got to pick some more golden gem cherry tomatoes, think about making pesto, harvesting the thyme to dry, and repotting a couple of house plants.....

Regards to all,

PS: Anyone one to share their favorite gardening mail catalog?
    [This Message was Edited on 10/30/2008]
  2. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Is it one of blue edible ones? I've been trying to grow some since last year. Not very vigorous, maybe need more sun. May try moving them next year.

Umm, checked the pots yesterday, and one of the hardy gardenias actually did survive last winter. Died back to ground along with a surviving pomegranite. This winter will put against a south wall and see if do better.

Wonder why people (myself) try to grow warm weather plants in cold weather areas? Humans, always pushing the envelope!

Oh, learned today that wild fig trees growing in one of canyons here. Someone collected a bunch of figs. Probably a brown Turkey variety. Oh boy, maybe a new cold resistant variety?

Read that a cold resistant fig found in Chicago, and known now as Chicago Fig.

No frost yet, but coming soon I suppose. The seasons seem delayed here, with a late, longer winter into April or May. Learned today that early blooming fruit trees often don't have fruit here because of late frosts.

Guess my favorite catalogs, One Green World and Raintree Nursery, I've mentioned before. Both have online catalogs.

Glad the chickens doing well. Don't chickens eat foliage too? Or are Guineas different I wonder.

Cheers, your mr Bill
  3. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

Hi everyone.
    just a question ab out dwarf apple trees, my hubby and I are thinking about planting some apple trees. of course we will have to clear some old trees and bushes out of the way, I was thinking about drawf ones I saw one that was beautiful and just full of apples. also how many trees should one plant so they produce well?
    have to run someones here to pick up a load of fire wood and I have to show them where its at.
  4. greygodess

greygodess New Member

I have to find time to get out and put my garden to bed for the winter. I have been so busy with other stuff.

Have a few iris and tulips to get in the ground. Need to cut back some plants. The moon flowers are still blooming. They are a pretty sight. The alyssum is going wild.

I have bird feeders out. We get the golden finches and downy woodpeckers. Also northern flickers (woodpecker) and a lot of sparrows. Also mourning doves. I ususally only put seed out in the winter but made a mistake this year and put it out all summer long. The sparrows have gone nuts. They empty their feeder in one day and the suet in two. I put sunflowers out for the squirrels. I like to feed them. There was one that would come up to my hand. Haven't seen him in a couple of years so I guess he died.

Maybe I'll get something done today. Godbless
  5. bct

bct Active Member

Here in NW Calif. it's a cold, windy day. Sunny though! I've got to get out and do something in the yard -- plant the daffs. maybe, but I feel SO wiped out today....

Oh well. HEY, yesterday I saw a flock of cedar waxwings. They were busy stripping the red berries off the native honeysuckle vines. A nice sighting for me, because I haven't seen them in a couple of years. I found a dead one once and saw the waxy yellow patch on the wing that gives them their name. A big flock of Calif. Quail are in the front yard now.

Grammy27: Meyer Lemon is self pollinating. It is a really good plant, takes violent pruning, and has wonderful fragrance and lemons. Good luck!

Mr Bill: You sure do want to push the limits don't you! I'll be interested in what you finf out about the figs. As for the Siberian honeysuckle I have, it is Lonicera maackii if I remember correctly; it has small red berries. I don't know of the blue-berried one you ask about. What is it called? I would think a very good bet for you would be some of the fruiting varieties of elderberry (Sambucus). I understand that there are quite a few super-fruitful cultivars. You make jelly, jam, wine, whatever with them; I don't know if they have dessert value or not. You might want to check them out; definitely hardy for you.

Regards to all,

6. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Just wanted to tell you that it is now snowing.
    I got my garden cleanup done just in time.
    Your last flower,Denamay
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

You asked about apple trees.....well, I live in apple country. We planted 4 little trees in '04, and last year we had over 150 pounds of apples! This year we probably didn't even have 30 pounds because of a late spring frost. We have two galas and two jonagolds. We spray them with dormant oil spray twice a year and it helps keep the bugs down. Cameos do well around here too.

I'm going to go out and plant some garlic today. I have heard that you can just take some store bought garlic- or better stuff if you have it- and put it in the ground over the winter. The the next spring or summer you have some nice garlic. It must like cold and a long growing season. Anyway, I tried some this summer and harvested it small, so I'm anxious to get some bigger stuff!

I have some more winterizing to do outside, so I think it will be good weather for it.

Take care,
  8. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

Hi Guys,
    what a busy day yesterday,farmers market sold all our eggs in 2hrs.
    We"ve had lots of people calling for wood also, it must be the hard times.
    thanks Alaska, for the info about the trees I think we're going to try about 4-6 trees and see how it goes.I was glad to see you plant garlic,Mr Lee at our farmers market told my hubby to plant it now and we would have garlic next I"m going to try it.
    the apples did well around here this summer,but are very expensive to buy. have a great day.
  9. therealmadscientist

A major frost friday that caught me off guard. I may just have to surrender to the winter this year, though will still tent a plastic sheet along side of house. The fig leaves got hit pretty hard. (Though weather nothing like Montana or Wyoming!).

For planning and planting a perennial garden, I just try various plants and tell myself that I can always transplant if I want it different.

What comes to mind for your garden is the Jerusalem artichoke. Tried growing some that I got from supermarket this year, though haven't really tried the edible potato-like roots yet.
    It is related to the sunflower and has pretty, small sunflower type flowers that seem to last a long time.

Fruit trees vary in sex and pollination, a catalog should tell you if plant is in a special category.

The commercial date trees are supposed to require 100 days of 100 degree F
    to fully ripen and come in male or female trees. The China Date farm near Las Vegas sells male pollen (very, very expensive) to commercial growers who mostly have female trees. The dates can be grown from seed....difficult to guess what might grow up, but fun to wonder.

The figs are more of a mystery.....I guess I'll have to find out what works.
    Seems that genetically in a flux. I guess originally were dependent on a Mediterrain (sp?) wasp for fertilization, but now most are self fertile.

Lonicera Maacki sounds very invasive and illegal to import to some states!

The blue fruiting honey suckle is sometimes called a honeyberry. The experiences/reviews I've read are mixed, with people in Northern climates especially favorable, esp. as some are very early fruiting in Spring.

Came across a Winter Honeysuckle that is supposed to be very fragrant and blooms in winter time, and has edible fruit.

If I were to have an indoor plant the Meyer lemon would be probably my first choice. Maybe I wil get one.

Enough for now, must do some work here! Cheers, Mr Bill

Oh, the Guinea fowl seem interesting. One site listed at least a hundred varieties of chickens and Guineas. It even rated the Guineas on noisyness!
    I have a 30 by 30 foot 6 foot tall chickenwire enclosure where the current garden is, so may be practical to have a few Guinea fowl with low maintenence.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/13/2008]
  10. therealmadscientist

Whoops. I may have been thinking guinea fowl while looking at Bamtam chickens...... I couldn't locate guineas on the Henderson Chicken Chart.
    A good chart though, gives much more than just what breeds look like.

The Guinea Fowl color chart had some good descriptions and pictures of Guinea fowl.

I may try some Guinea in the springtime. I think I can keep predators out, but don't think I'll be able to keep the birds in yard unless they want to stay.

A tough problem: garden plants that also have color or flowers.

I mentioned the Martha Washington asparagus that has red berries in fall.
    Saffron crocus have purple flowers in springtime.
    A green and white variegated leaf horseradish came from Crimson Nursery in CA. Also a fragrant flowering Valerian plant.
    Carrots have great infloresces of white flowers, but it is in second year growth, and the carrots are way to tough to eat when flowering.

Must go, good luck, your mr bill

11. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

funny we just went to a outdoor auction yesterday ,and there was alot of chickens and rabbits there,just about everything you would want.
    but anyhow this guy in the crowd bought some Guineas and one of them got loose, people where running all over trying to catch this thing and it made to a open field and had its freedom.
    We where waiting to see what the hay brought,to expensive $7.00@ bale. needless to say we didn"t buy any.
    It rained enough that the farmers around here got 3 cuttings and some got4. so theres no need for it to be this much this year.
    Have a good one. sixtyslady.
  12. bct

bct Active Member

Hi all. I've been off the computer a few days, and am recovering still from last week's trip to Eureka to see my doc. Phew, 140 miles round trip; the autumn colors were getting good though, lots of bright yellow maples and ashes along the drive.

I'm slowly cleaning up the yard, but need to get help to do the harder stuff.

I've still got snapdragons, lobelias, nemesias, in bloom, not killed by the frost like the zinnias were. I've still got bulbs to plant....

On the bird scene, lots of the summer birds are gone, but I've still got hummers. The Varied Thrushes have come for the winter, and the hermit thrushes are eating berries. While I was in Eureka I saw flocks of Canada geese over the bay; they winter here in huge numbers, annoying the dairy farmers.

Regards to all,
  13. therealmadscientist

All summer the small birds disappeared.....not sure what they were doing, but must have been important for the birds:) After the first frost they started to reappear in yard and must now be twenty or so, plus two woodpeckers.

They don't seem to eat the seeds on the wild bird seed I planted until plants are pulled up and laid on the ground.

I may need to get some Guinea fowl, just so that I will have some stories to tell.
    I read that Meyer lemons can stand 20F temp, but would have to grow indoors here I'm pretty sure.

About all for now. I wish everyone happy planning for next years gardens. Your mr Bill

14. bct

bct Active Member

Mr Bill, if you get guineas, you will indeed have stories to tell,ESPECIALLY if you have neighbors! The sounds can be quite alarming I am told, and you will be awakened to an unholy racket yourself!

(But in these hard times we must grow what foods we can; I am wishing to see venison on my own table soon!)

Oh yes, I forgot, but an old friend brought me a bag of dried mulberries the other day. They are delicious! This is the first time I've ever had them (excepting the fresh ones I ate in Delaware back in ancient times), and I highly recommend them. Now I have to find out where he got them, certainly not around here. I also got some nice goji berries, and the strangest little raisins I have ever seen: tiny, long, yellow, seedless, and very soft and sweet. I'm going to have to find out where I can get them, they are so good; I think my friend said they were from India....

Regards to all,

[This Message was Edited on 10/21/2008]
  15. therealmadscientist

LOL. The auger sounds like fun! and empowering!

When it comes to sunlight I take it seriously enough to consider cutting down a wild type plum tree in my yard. There are more of same tree in yard.
    I saw an electric cement mixer for $40 in an advertisement for a house sale, but missed it. Sounded like a great toy. Cheers, your mr Bill

Oh, the other night I finally decided to seriously try the homemade Absinthe and mugwort afterwork. Anyway with ice and pepsi it was sort of drinkable. I woke up 5 hours later feeling absolutely awful, but then grossly puked and felt better after that. That may be my last personal experiment with homemade absinthe, or any absinthe.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/21/2008]
  16. bct

bct Active Member

But I know it won't last! I've got so many geraniums in full bloom (all in pots), and NOW I've got to bring them into the already too crowded sun-room/mud room! Already got too many plants. Shall I sacrifice the half-dozen orchids - so difficult for me to get them to re-bloom? Argh, the travails of an obsessive plant collector.

Yesterday I saw a couple of flocks of wild turkeys at the end of the drive. No hummers for a few days. Wrens have started to sing.

Grammy27: could you lend me some energy? LOL.

Regards to all,
    (Oh, I forgot, my SAFFRON is in bloom. Beautiful!)[This Message was Edited on 10/27/2008]
  17. therealmadscientist

I keep missing the shipping season, but eventually will get a bunch.

Meanwhile, passing time by looking in the Watcom seed catalog. Was looking for Sequoia or Coastal Redwood trees (to send to Nepal, perhaps:).

We have five here that someone planted probably 100 years ago. Already huge and starting to crowd everything out. I guess about 15 feet in diameter. Anyway, a sureway to be remembered, or make a difference in community!

Some other plant seeds, Stevia(sugar tasting) and Toothache(numbing) plant on same website page seem interesting.

Anyway, just passing time for now. A fire department parking and training area next to me, so only one neighbor to worry about as far as noisy Guinea Fowl problems, and they are pretty mellow.
    I keep meaning to pull up some "moosehead puncture" plants along bike path. About one half to one inch long stickers. Nasty! The regular puncture vines are bad enough.

About enough rambling, your mr Bill

I can't seem to find the really nasty puncture plant on the web so far. It appears to be in the tomato family from leaf and flower appearance. Not a regular puncture vine from pictures.[This Message was Edited on 10/29/2008]
  18. sisland

sisland New Member

Just wondering if you have planted "Stevia" before ? and if you had goodluck with it?,,,,,I buy it to use in the powder form ,,but if i could plant it that would save Moola!,,,,,,just wondering!,,,,,,,S
  19. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I have to figure out how to close threads but please post on the next thread which will be Garden Com Post 15.

Also, check out the last few posts.

Love ya all!