Garden Com Post 4 CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Mar 28, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I'm going to start #4 out with Lenore's thread from #3. I was hoping Barry could help her with some of her questions or anyone that has knowledge about her questions.

I copy and pasted her post below for easier reading between the two posts.

Hi all 03/28/08 12:16 PM

I just saw this thread and if ya'll don't mind me joining, I'd love to compare notes and get help from you guys!

I live in southern California but grew up in NJ, so what I used to plant there I can't plant here. I used to be an avid gardener before these DDs. I even chose a home with an atrium so I could create a "French Garden" with a fountain in the middle, a swing against one wall and a bistro set in another corner. For that area I chose flowers and shrubs in only lavenders, pinks and white. There's a little patch off of it where I grow vegetables, and down the other side towards the backyard I have an herb garden. All are kind of desolate now (except for the profusion of daisies in the Atrium), but I would love to get back to it. So as not to overdo, I thought I would concentrate on my *Secret Garden* first.

So, assuming you are all kind enough to let me join this thread, like so many others, my favorite annual is pansies. Anyone ever heard of Johnnie jump ups? They are little tiny lavender pansies and absolutely adorable! I need to go buy some and get going on my Atrium. As for perennials, I have terrible hayfever and am anaphylactic to bees so I can't plant all the ones that I love. I had lavender plants that attracted a bizillion bees, so I had to pull them out. :-( I can't grow azaleas here like I could in NJ, but I think they are beautiful.

There is a lot of clay in the ground where I live. I would love help and advice along the way as I recruit my kids (who are old enough to help) to help me in taking this small part of my life back.

Thanks for hearing me out,

[This Message was Edited on 04/08/2008]
  2. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

Hi everyone.
    well it snowed here again last nite ,but its just about gone.
    just finished our taxes,glad those our done.
    Barry, we do have a health food store the next town over from us ,I never thought about selling my eggs there.thanks for the suggestion.
    and Lenore welcome to the post.I love pansies, and just think Jonny Jump ups are great. maybe I"ll try some of them this spring.
    I"m hoping I can take orders for my eggs.when the time comes. have a good one ,sixtyslady
  3. bct

bct Active Member

Hey Lenore, I answered your last post on Garden Post #3.

Hello everyone! A cold frosty morn here, and I'm hoping not too much frost damage, though I can tell already that the magnolia flowers have been blasted. The geraniums in pots are on the porch up against the house and should be alright, they seem to be able to tolerate a little frost on them. We shall see.

I bought a few plants at the nursery the other day, a few zinnias, poppies (purple somniferum), and delphiniums. Does anyone else like delphiniums and larkspurs? I like them a lot because they are DEER-PROOF! Unfortunately the big fancy delphs. like they grow in England are hard for me; I think my summers are too dry and hot; I here thry do well in the PNW.

Does anybody else live in the country and have deer problems? I've lived here for more than 30 yrs., and the deer have never been so bad. The population is out of control. Too bad they don't sell venison in the market! I wonder if it is as high in Carnitine as lamb, my favorite red meat?

Well, I'm out to survey the damage; at least the sun is shining, and threr are ALWAYS more weeds than hands to pull 'em.

Regards to all,
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for keeping this going!! garden plans are on hold again because we got a new 3 inches of snow again last night!,,,,,,Winter just won't let go!

On a Cheerier note,,,,i saw 3 big Robins yesterday!,,,love to see them! and i know the snow will not last!

I'm priceing those big plastic rectangular containers at walmart so i can put them in the back and plant some gorgeous Flowers in them!,,,,,,pink,,,purple Yellow,,,red,,,,lavender,,,,all colors of Annuals!,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs to all!,,and welcome to the garden thread!
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Hi I am a gardener too. Used to have our own organic farm in UK years back Now in USA had to relearn everything.

Last year I bought those big toy tubs with the rope handles instead of flower pots for the tomatoes and they were great. They are cheaper than plant pots and garage sales often have them with holes in the sides for 50c where kids damaged them. The holes are fine for the plant pot use.

Also, starting seeds: Buy the cheap see thru plastic boxes with lids from Big lots or dollar store, they are great for starting seeds. Just put the lid on the bench, and stand the little pots with seeds in on the lid. Then put the box itself over leaving a little gap at the bottom for air circulation. You can even mist the box inside. They work great and you can move the seeds outside using the same principal.

Also, the large plastic storage containers you can often get after Halloween (black ones) for $3 or less, drill holes in the bottom with a drill or a click flame gadget will burn holes(outdoors) put some gravel in the base and fill will dirt. Work really well and line up better than pots. If you grow two foot high annuals in front of them, you cannot even see the boxes. All a lot cheaper than pots and stronger too and reuseable for anything else.

There are some plants that deer won't touch, some very nice but deer fence is about the only solution.

Love Annie
  6. bct

bct Active Member

I agree, container gardening is great. I've thought about those rope-handle tubs myself and maybe will try one this year, part of the rational being that I could drag it around where I wanted it. But I'll plant in anything; I'd like to have some old bath-tubs to plant in.

I like to plant a riot in my garden, to heck with garden designers and colour combinations. The more colour the better, all mixed together with coloured foliage and some ornamental grasses. I guess I want to live in a jungle (who doesn't after a cold/cool winter?) I like plants with BIG leaves; I mentioned before my liking for cannas and my struggle to grow a decent castor-bean (Bronze Impala?). Anyone know of any other large-leafed ornamentals I could try.

7. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

well the suns out and its 48,which seems springy to me,
    WEnt to buy a plant for my Uncles funeral,and I also bought myself a phalaenopsis I know nothing about this plant,it says it needs medium light and 50/70 in the night time and 70/85 in the day.
    I hope I can keep this alive I"ve always wanted one,so if anyone can tell me anything about it ,it would be helpful.
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Per your request, here's some info on growing orchids which I am relaying from Gordon.

Gordon has grown orchids for some decades, belongs to 2 to 4 orchid societies (varies from year to year), has won oodles of blue ribbons, and loves to garden...or read about gardening...or attend a flower show...or etc.

Always good to start w/ a little history. As usual, the Chinese were doing it thousands of years ago. (Gordon is Chinese.) Orchid growing in Europe seems to have started in the 19th century (I'm working from memory here) as did so many things, by chance.

A shipment to the Kew Gardens in England included some orchid plants, and things took off from there.

Do you have to be rich to grow orchids? No. In the 1920s botanists figured out how to grow orchids w/o a moss base. In the 1960 they worked out cloning.

Now almost anybody can buy orchids. It's kinda like buying whiskey. If you buy one that been aged for many years, it costs more. Same w/ orchids. Most don't bloom for about 5 years. So if you buy one that's blooming, you're going to pay more than if it's a young plant.

You can buy a whole flask of tiny orchids for a dollar apiece, but then you have to wait and transplant them, etc.

Do you need a greenhouse? No, not if you grow orchids that will thrive in your climate.

I don't want to have this post go poof, so I will come back and post more later.

9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Orchids are the most diverse of plants. Come in a tremendous array of colors, sizes and shapes. There are something like 28,000 species.

In the wild they grow pretty much everywhere. I'm from Minnesota. Wasn't till I moved to Calif. that I found out the Minnesota state flower was an orchid. There are 40 some orchids that grow in Minnesota. They grow in chilly mountain areas too.

You can get lots of info on orchids from the net; sites like the American Orchid Society. If you live in a big city it will probably have an orchid society. Members will tell you what is easy to grow in your area.

Your local nursery should have helpful info too. Probably best to start w/ an orchid from Home Depot, Trader Joe's, etc.

You want to practice on a plant that costs ten to twenty dollars. Not something exotic that costs $120.

Around here (Los Angeles) epidendrums are the easiest to grow. They have lots of small flowers and are in bloom most of the year.

Many orchids only bloom once a year. Unlike roses, the flowers usually last a long time. Several weeks instead of a few days.

They need to be in a spot w/ the right amount of sun. Most need to be watered once or twice a week. Many have a dormant period where they don't need to be watered much for a couple months.

Generally they need to be repotted every few years. They are usually not planted in dirt, but in redwood bark, or coconut chips. We have several arboreal orchids we mounted on bark or cork w/ some spagnum moss to hold water.

Good luck to anybody who feels adventurous and wants to try something new.

10. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

place in the internet to go, try this: Old Pharmer Phil's County Living Phorum.

It is huge and there are people from all over and more information in one place then you can ever imagine. Whether it be flowers, house plants or vegies you won't believe the information there.
  11. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

Thanks for the info on orchids.
    just starting out with this plant .I will have to do some research on the web.and go from there.
    I was surprised to find out they like cool nights.
    thanks again,sixtyslady
  12. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

Hi everybody,

Monica, I am overwhelmed by your generosity! Starting the newest thread with a newcomer and giving me the opportunity to participate is one of the nicest random acts of kindness I have ever received. Thank you so much for making a difference in my life today! :)

Barry, you are a sweetheart for helping me. I really appreciate it. I realized that I haven't sat in my garden for over a year because it looked so desolate-- your help will lift my spirits, give me something purposeful to do (I've read that so many others feel like me in that these DDs have often made me feel worthless and purposeless), and the end result will give me back my "peaceful place". That you for helping and supporting me.

Rock, I am a *retired* attorney in Los Angeles too! I hope I can help you along the way (though I can see you are a far better gardener than me)the way you are helping me get started back on my garden; I still drive into the city at times, so if you ever need anything that I can help with, I'm your girl!

Sixtyslady, thanks for the warm welcome. I'll bet we have more in common than just a love for Johnny jump ups with their tiny smiley faces! I look forward to finding out what.............. :) I wish you very good luck with your chicken/egg and orchid endeavors.

Sisland, thanks for the welcome-- wow so many nice folks. I'm so very glad I found this thread!

Cromwell, since everyone welcomed me with open arms, I'm a gonna turn around and do the same for you! Pay it forward, good karma and all that. Everyone here has been great to me-- it's a great, warm, friendly thread and I hope you'll love it here as much as I do.

Terri, Lacey, Linda: feel like you're being followed? (great big wink)

OK, since ya'all have offered to help, I think this is where I need to start--dirt. I have free form concrete stepping stones all over the garden. I tried Scotch Moss as a filler and it died--twice! So, given that the area is full of rocks, clay and very varying degrees of sunlight, what do I have to do to prepare the "dirt" for planting both ground cover and plants/flowers/shrubs (love the coleus idea) and once I get that done, what groundcover would be best between the stepping stones and not drop dead?

Like they say in the commercial; man, I love you guys!

13. bct

bct Active Member

I've been weeding in the yard, planting three Delphinium cardinale in a raised rock-bed, and did some pruning. Not much of anything, but anything's better than nothing. Boy am I in a CFS fog right now.

During weeding I found a volunteer pure all white johnny-jump-up! I don't think I've seen a pure white one; doesn't even have a 'face'.

Lenore: Some small ground covers for between pavers : the creeping thymes, Corsican mint (Mentha requienii), and I guess Babies' tears (Helxine). None of these would attract bees. The mint (looks just like babies' tears) and thymes would release aroma when you stepped on them. Very nice.

Gotta go now before I crash.
  14. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

The mint and thymes with aroma (I'm not sensitive to herb smells) sound wonderful! I wonder if there's an edible variety.......... Though the little white flowered ones would be pretty too. I'll print this and take it to the nursery once I solve the drainage/dirt problem.

You got a pure white johnny jump up? Gosh, that's like finding a four leaf clover!

I got my boys today to help me rip out the dead scotch moss and weed the garden-- just looking at dirt is making me feel better!

I hope the fog passes like a warm ocean breeze for you....

15. springwater

springwater Active Member

Thanks for the info about orchids....I bought one plant about 3 years ago and wondered WHY it wouldnt bloom. Now I know. I am going to be patient.

God Bless
  16. bct

bct Active Member

I am hoping last night's frost won't have done too much damage. The Magnolia's flowers are blasted and browned; rather peculiar looking, really. The tulips that froze solid just thawed out and didn't care at all; same with daffs. and everything else so far.

I am super-exhausted today. I had a guy to do some work, and work he did! Mainly clearing brush, blackberries, and some pruning. I had my Paulownia (sp) tree cut almost to the ground. It's buds are formed in the spring and always get killed in winter. I would do better with a Catalpa, I guess..
    Anyways, I had this guy working like crazy, and talking a mile a minute when he wasn't (TOO MUCH COFFEE!), and just trying to listen to him was exhausting. My mind was spinning. Anyone else have this problem with people who are too exuberant?

So, I feel really hung-over today.
    I planted a Salvia I bought the other day, called Purple Volcano. It looked really nice in the nursery, and I liked the name! Once I got it home, I realized that it looked like a fuzzy purple dandelion, and was not so attractive after all! Oh well, I'm always doing this; we'll see what comes of it...

Today I am going to try to plant a purple poppy, and some culinary sage. Also scoot along on my kneeler and pull up weeds. Fortunately it's fairly mild this late morning, so I am out with my corgi, my chamomile tea, and my field glasses. A good day to sit and bird watch (I am a very passive bird-watcher these days, and I think I see more).

I hope spring is coming for all of you in the northern areas as soon as possible. There's work to be done!

Regards, and gentle gardening,
  17. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I'm a bird watcher too- but from my car! I have been seeing eagles, herons, geese, several kinds of ducks, and osprey from my car....I'd rather be out walking or sitting, but I'm always on the run. Recently, I pulled over and handed a disposable camera to one of my boys and had him take a couple of pics of an eagle that was close by.

My gardening hasn't really taken off yet, but it's finally warming up into the 60's here. I'll be out there soon! I love to start with planting pansies in a pot, then other things!

Take care,
  18. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I see everyone is busy or wishing they were busy in their gardens. I am one that was wishing they were busy in their gardens. I did start a bunch of Dahlias inside and also some non-stop begonias. My dahlias all have nice big sprouts on them and they lift my spirits a wee bit just looking at the green.

Barry: I love Delphs! I added a picture to my profile of my favorite delph that I have in my backyard and I just love it. It is the deepest, darkest shade of purple but I have had this plant for over 5 year and last year I only got one big spire of flowers. I'm afraid it is on its last leg. So, this year I must find a few more to add to the garden again. I particularly am fond of the giant purple variety. It just looks so gorgeous! As for the deer, I don't have a problem living in town with deer but I do have a problem with rabbits. I use a combination of cayenne red pepper, dish soap, a little water, and something else (brain fog moment) and spray the plants every other day. Those wascally wabbits take one bite and they run for the hills. LOL.

Sixtyslady: How are the chickens coming along? Did the chics come yet?

Cromwell: Welcome to our little gardening group! I love those big totes myself as well. They work great for growing my herbs. I bought one of those plastic things last year and bought some of that plastic spray paint and made them look like stone --- they looked so neat and I can't wait to do a few more this year. I really like container gardening as well. You don't have to bend over as far to weed. LOL.

Rockgor: Thank you so much for stopping by and offering the orchid advice for Sixtyslady. I really appreciate it. I am just so envious of Gordon's orchids. I would love to grow them myself but with cats in the house they would be shredded in less than a day.

MsBsGlue: Thanks for the tip. I put it in my Fav's if I ever get stuck with a gardening question.

Lenorer: Welcome! I'm so happy you like our little gardening thread. Just pop-in whenever you like to offer a little advice or ask a question. I loved Barry's suggestion about the herbs. That way you will get this great aroma whenever you step on the herbs. I bet it will be fabulous. Be sure to let us know how it works, OK?

Alaska: I just started bird watching this past year as well. I just added a few bird feeders and I'm constantly looking up different types of birds on the computer. When we vacation in Northern WI we see tons of eagles and osprey.....I just love it ---- I feel so grounded and peaceful watching them soar above. I really should try and find myself a bird book.

I hope I didn't miss anyone but if I did I apologize.

I was looking at fountains the other day and pricing them and I couldn't believe how expensive they were. Wouldn't it be somewhat simple to just buy a pump and make your own? Has anyone tried this?
  19. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Can I just whine here for a moment?

Hubby and I spent 4 years in our last house and I had created a beautiful garden in the back yard. We planted trees, bulbs and many other wonderful flowering plants...

Then the landlords kicked us out and we had to move, although it turned out to be the best thing for us since the house was full of mold.

The newly built home we rent now is wonderful with a beautiful view of downtown Stuttgart, but the yard isn't finished. I basically have a weed pit, very large that at some point is supposed to be finished off as a field of wildflowers since I really can't keep up a yard this large.

At least they finished my decks last Oct or so, so container gardening looks like the only option for me for while.

I miss taking care of a garden and hope to join these threads with better news soon.

20. sisland

sisland New Member

A Wonderful pass time!,,,I invested in a large round stone bird bath with a squirel (also Stone) ,,,years ago,,,it sets right outside the living room window,,,,,so many fun species to watch,,,,,,also i put a little feeder near by so i can see the whole Show!,,,,,,,,,

The ravens have discovered it though,,,and the camp robbers,,,But thats ok,,,,,,,the little ones still visit often,,,,and i might add help themselves to the Strawberry Patch too,,,,,,,,lolol,,,,,

we have alot of Canandian Honkers Flying over this time of year,,,,,,The other day it was a Robin Fest around here!,,,,and they are Fat!,,,,,so wonderful to hear their song this time of year!,,,,,,

The killdeer are very populated around hear in the mid summer time,,,,,,My Favorite is the Meadowlark's Song,,,,Starts around the first of May,,,,,,I have found that they all love the plain black sunflower seeds ,,,they will diappear in one afternoon!,,,,,

strawberry Patch is Starting to Thaw out Now,,,,and the Painted Daises greenery,,is showing through,,,,Sis