Garden Com Post 6 CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, May 4, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Here we to another new edition.

Today is a beautiful day here in WI. I plan on just puttering around outside and maybe just pulling some weeds. Still way too wet to plant anything --- has anyone planted their gardens or flowerbeds yet?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/18/2008]
  2. bct

bct Active Member

Hi all, I seem to be in a major CFS flare so my gardening has been slow. Getting frustrated.

On a cheerier note, the flowering cherry and the lilacs and Camellias are really putting on a display, the daffs. are mostly done, and the tulips (these are parrot tulips) are eye-searing in their intensity. R has planted out some of my barrels with Nemesias and other annuals, and the Zinnias I planted too early that got frost-bite are recovering.

I am now dealing with some sage plants and a tansy, and R has about 4 new catnips to play with, all different, one with white flowers.

We've got out first tomato plants, Early Girl, but won't plant them out until about June 1. This variety has always done well for us.

Now it is warming up there is TOO much to done! And today I have to go to town to get my haircut, which I dread. This will be the first in about 5 months, lol. I'm about ready to just let it grow like the grass in my yard........

MONICA: I hope your weather gets better soon; so sorry about your basement woes. Also hope your neck is feeling better.

EVERYONE: I'll get back later when I feel more coherent. Meanwhile, enjoy nature. As (was it you sisland?) someone pointed out, the hummers are on their way back!

Regards to all,

3. monica33flowers

I was saved from the basement this weekend. We bought something called hydraulic cement and it seems to be working against the incoming water. Plus, we didn't get the rainfall the weatherman said we were gonna get. Thank God the man was wrong this time! LOL.

I spent a some time puttering around outside on Sunday and just cleaned up some of the flower beds. Gosh, nothing is more thereuptic than having the sun shine on your face and pulling out some weeds. LOL. We also dug a bunch of my perennials up and potted them up for our garage sale next weekend. I hope my plants sell again this year. Last year I made a nice little profit on my perennials so I could go out and buy more plants. LOL.

Another gorgeous spring day here in WI and I plan on digging up a few more perennials and doing some weeding. We are so lucky we have a compost site about two miles away from our home and Randy is going to go get a truckload of fresh compost for all my beds. The flowers just love the fresh stuff! But then that also means fresh weeds. LOL.

Barry, I was surprised that one of your tomatoes was Early
    Girl. That is always one of my Must Have's when planting my garden also. Isn't that funny. Another one of my Fav's is Wisconsin 55 and something Beefeater. and of course I have to have some sort of Roma but I can't remember the name right now either. I love making fresh salsa in the summer and also I make spaghetti sauce and freeze it for the winter. Although, it doesnt usually last me past November. LOL.

The day is wasting away so I better get outside and enjoy the sunshine.

Catch ya on the flip side, Barry!
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

One of the big changes I noticed when moving from Minnesota to California was all the flowering trees.

May is the month for jacarandas. They are clouds of lavender. If you have never seen a jacaranda tree, do a search.

Some neighbors have a tree at the edge of their yard that extends into the street. When the blossoms fall they form an oval around the car parked underneath. It looks like a car ad, the white car on an oval lavender rug.

5. sisland

sisland New Member

Checking in!,,,,,Gardening sounds wonderful in California Barry!,,,,,Up here not so much yet ,,,,,Havn't seen any Hummers yet,, but the Robins are here! saw 10 in a group one day last week,,,,,all short and Fat,,,,,lolol,,,,,,

The Strawberries are popping out! Need to get in there and do some weed control,,The Ruhbarb is lookin great in it's Corner of the garden!,,,My painted wild daises come back every year and are so pretty! they last through July,,

We Have Beef Stake tomato Plants up this way also earlie Girls and all sorts of other varieties to boot,,,,,,can't wait to get them started around the first week in June!,,,

Has anyone tried the Grape Tomato plants yet? also i usually plant at least one cherry tomato plant every year!

Monica,,,,what a great idea selling Perenials at your Garage sale!,,,,,Money Maker!,,,,,,wow,, having a compost pile only a ways away is great!,,,,glad your basemwent problem is fixed!,,,,,,,,Sis....Hope you all are having a great day!

6. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Have noticed that strawberry blossoms not setting fruit, hundreds of flowers, but no fruit starting.

Just learned that the flowers are very sensitive to freezing. And, if I'd known, I could have sprayed water on the plants and maybe saved more of the early crop. Oh well, next year I'll know.

Has been cold at night here. Freezing just a week ago. Hoping that no more frosts. Takes some fun out of gardening when start shivering after ten minutes:)
    Days pretty nice though.

Guess all for now, Cheers, your Mr Bill
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I've been waiting for an opportunity to plant my heirloom pineapple tomato plant.....I bought it at a local nursery, and it will bear yellow and red striped tomatoes. I like to try new varieties each year, but I always get Sweet 100's and better boy. I've had good luck with those.

I have some little tomato starts growing in the house, but they are still pretty tiny. I'll wait a few weeks before planting them outside.

This is a beautiful time of year....lots of tulips, a light spring green haze on the trees, and really green grass. It's so nice after a long winter.....

8. bct

bct Active Member

What kinds do you grow? How many?

I usually grow about 6 0r 7 plants. I always grow two Early Girls (already got them), a couple of cherry or grape types, and the rest are wierdos, like Green Zebra, or Black Plum.

Green Zebra is good, a plum-shaped striped green tomato, sweet and low acid. For cherry tomatoes, I alway grew Sungold, but I found that Golden Gem, a little grape tom. from China is a heavier producer, and even better flavoured; very good. If I can find a Snow White I will get one; couldn't find one last year. It is a large cherry type, ripening to almost white, and is very sweet and low acid. I like to have fun with my tomatoes, so like to try a new kind every year.

TERRI: Good luck with your Pineapple tomato! I almost bought a Mr. Stripey the other day, but decided the season was too short for it, since I live in a cold pocket on N. side of hill.

ROCKGOR: I like Jacarandas too; been a long time since I was in So-Cal. Used to see them all the time when we lived in Santa Barbara. Do you have Coral trees near you? Used to see them a lot too; my friend in Hollywood had some in front of his place, and they were very showy.

MONICA: Girl, you have energy! Good luck on your yard sale. I wish I could be there to buy some plants from you. What do you have on offer?

Well, that's me for now. I over-did it yesterday, and am paying for it today, with sciatica. At least I got my Clary sage planted, and my Golden Tansy too. Pulled a bunch of weeds, and ripped a wart half off my thumb--OUCH!!!!

Going to read, read, read today.......
    Regards to all you wonderful people,
  9. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

well its raining here but suppose to stop this afternoon,I hope so, hubby and I want to go to a farm auction this afternoon.
    We need some poultry wire so we can fence a spot off for the chicks and we can always use fence post around here.
    We also can use another stock tank for our horses.
    our garden is doing good everything we've planted is up except for the corn.still have many things to plant but want to wait for a couple more weeks so we don"t run into frost again.
    It looks so good after the long winter to see lettuce,radishes.onions and potato,s growing theres something so peaceful about rows a growing plants.
    I can remember my Grandfather picking up a pinch of earth and tasteing it before he planted.and he knew if it was good or bad soil.
    Well yesterday my daughter and I where down to the garden and she said Mom the ground smells so good and fresh.must be something that is past down in our Family.
    have a good day. sixtyslady
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Finally got my Strawberry patch weeded out yesterday!,,,,was worth the sore back i guess!,,,,also made room for some healthy tomato plants comming up,,,,can't wait!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/09/2008]
  11. bct

bct Active Member

Now all I need is a good gardener!

Went to the first farmer's market yesterday; not too much on offer yet except for starts and plants, and greens (lettuces and mustards). I picked up three toms. I wanted, and was very happy to get a Snow White tomato-- as I mentioned before, this is a really good cherry tom. with great flavour and strange looks.

I am tired today, post-going-to-town-fatigue I guess you would call it, so I'm taking it easy and just puttering around.

Sixtyslady: I hope your chicks are thriving. It sounds like you've got a farm there, with your crops. I am envious! I've heard that old British gardeners used to taste the dirt to see how good it was. I bet not many people still do it!

Seems like a lot of you are growing strawberries. Good luck. I've never grown them, though a lot of people around me do. A lot of strawberry varieties were produced here in the past by a man named Albert Etter. He was also an apple breeder; I think he made the pink apple, Pink Pearl which I have. It has pink flowers, pink flesh, and a non-descript flavour; not my favourite, but pretty.

For all you non-gardeners (outside), have you got any houseplants? Tell us about them, please. It's a lot of fun to hear what you are growing.

Regards to all,

12. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

well we're in the planting season.finally
    Our garden is doing well everything is up.
    and we are going to plant string beans next,acorn squash.and butternut.and watermelons next week.
    I was in walmart the other day and sugar baby watermelons where 7 dollars.
    ao I"m hoping for a bumper crop on all our veg;s so I can afford to sell to family,s.
    Our chicks are ready to go out side ,so we have to get their fence up.they"ll have a large area to roam.but we have to keep a eye on them because of the red tail hawks around here.
    Also the orchid that I bought has dropped all of its bloosom, do I cut the stem back or what do I do next?
    well got to run happy planting. sixtyslady
  13. bct

bct Active Member

Hi all, hope you are all having a good day, safe from storms.

Sixtyslady: Glad to hear your chicks are doing well. Are they all Rhode Island Reds? I love their brown eggs. My mom always favoured brown eggs for some reason, and so do I. More people are selling free-range organic eggs in my town's tiny health-food store, and even at $3.75 a dozen they are flying off the shelves. It seems that people have gotten over the "eggs are bad for you" syndrome! Too bad about the red-tails, I know what a nuisance they can be. Good gardening, sixtyslady.

14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sixtyslady, I got a post from Sis alerting me to your question. Give us all the info you have on your orchid. I'll ask Gordon to see if he has any helpful info.

At the moment Gordon is busy re-potting a big cymbidium. The roots look like raffia.

Barry, I used to see coral trees when I moved to CA 40 years ago. Now that you mention them, I realize I haven't seen one for a decade or two. I know they used to have them at the Los Angeles Zoo. Haven't been there since I took my son decades ago.

We grew tomatoes in buckets a few years ago. Gordon got a catalog that listed something like 800 varieties. The range of colors and sizes was amazing.

We grew a couple big ones and three cherry varieties. The cherry ones turned out best. Hard to believe how much they charge at the store for a little basket of cherry tomatoes.

I looked up golden tansy cause I never heard of it before. Found several pictures, but none in bloom. However, I read it was a relative of feverfew, and I found a picture of feverfew in bloom. Flowers look like daisies.

Don't we have a poster named Tansy?

All for now

15. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

my ochid is a phalaenopsis,and I know nothing about this plant all the blossom,s have fallen my question is do I cut the stem back and how far.
    any info will be great. sixtyslady
  16. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Well, here I am in garden heaven, and my hubbie wants to move to 4200 feet! It's beautiful there, and not hardly any lawn mowing, but veggies are only possible in greenhouses other than really hardy stuff. I guess it can frost any day of the year!
    Even though I can't do much anymore I'm not sure I can stand to leave all my fruit trees, flowers, veggies, cane fruit etc etc. We've planted so much in the 9 years we've been here.
    My husband is so excited because he'll be able to breath if we move there (he has terrible terrible pollen allergies).
    I'm looking up what will grow in zone 3!!!

17. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I grew a Mr. Stripey last year, and it did well. But we had it in full sun and it was hot here as well. I love to try fun varieties too...last year, we had some tiny yellow pear tomatoes. I usually have some other yellow variety, as we like the taste of the yellow tomatoes.

I had planted two Riesling grape plants last year, but hubby dug them up and replanted them in two large containers. We wanted to keep our two raised beds free and clear for other things.

I have a question- what do you do for grasshoppers? We always get a lot of them late in the summer, and they are destructive critters. I'd rather not use pesticides- more organic remedies, please!

18. bct

bct Active Member

I hope everyone is having a good day. I am tired (what else is new?) because I couldn't RESIST getting the weed-eater going, and once having started, couldn't say STOP to myself in time. There is always that little bit more that you just HAVE to do, lol!

Foggyfroggy (Gretchen): I love the gourd in your profile, with the little chickadee on it. Did you do it? If anyone reading hasn't seen it, check it out! Gretchen, are you moving up in the world? Elevation-wise, that is. I think it would be great fun to grow veggies in a green-house. My uncle in England always grew toms. and cukes in his greenhouse; otherwise they couldn't be grown. He was very successful too!

Terri: You live in a much warmer summer area than I do, I think. I bet you can even grow the big beef-steak toms. I have to stick with the vars. that early-ripen pretty much. As for your grass-hopper problem, I really don't know. I have them, of course, but not many, and I've never seen them doing any damage. Since I'm surrounded by trees, I probably don't have the right envirionment here for them. I hope somebody else has some ideas for you; all I can think of is a flock of birds (seagulls?)!

Rockgor and All: I haven't had a fresh tomato since last year ( probably Nov.) when my last ones ripened. I don't buy them in the stores any more. I have become spoiled. The only off-season toms. I eat are canned, for sauces, and sun-dried tomato tapenade.

I guess that's about it; better start watering ,it's been such a dry spring. Also have to plant my d*** tomatoes that I've been going on about.... HA!

Regards to all,
  19. monica33flowers

Well, we are just moving right along! I love hearing all the different types of tomatoes even though I will probably plant my same 'ole variety. I'm chicken to try something new. LOL.

Rock: Those Jacarandas are GORGEOUS! OMG, if I lived in your neck of the woods I think I would have at least five of those trees. They take my breath away they are so pretty PLUS they have my favorite color flower --- purple.

TheRealMadScientist: I hope your strawberries weren't all frosted. Are you seeing any berries yet?

Sis: Do you have any strawberries yet? Did you plant those tomatoes? I'm just full of questions this morning, huh? LOL.

Alaska: Your heirloom tomatoes sound wonderful. I should be a little more gutsy and try a few heirloom tomatoes just for fun. They sound yummy and beautiful!

Sixtyslady: I love hearing about your chicks. Did you get the fence up for them to be outside. We have so many red tail hawks here in WI as well. This winter one actually attacked the birds at my feeder. I was stunned to say the least. I've never seen anything like it. Oh, Also, about the smell of dirt. I always love it after it rains, I say, "it smells like worms" LOL. Everyone says I'm crazy but that is such a comforting smell that spring is here and the plants will be growing.

Foggyfroggy: I would be really interested if you do move what you can grow at that altitude. It sounds very interesting.

Barry: So did you get those tomatoes into the ground? I am on a really short time line here. I need to get my garden in and all my flower beds planted and done before June 4. I'm going in for neck surgery (I think --- I keep changing my mind) and everything must be done by that time.

Today is an icky day here in WI so I'm off to buy some plants with my garage sale money that I made!

PS Barry I made a little over $300 in just my perennial alone! Everyone loved them I couldn't keep up with the demand. I was outside digging up plants and the people were standing their waiting for them. It was crazy. But boy did I pay for it!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Keep it Green!
  20. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

well we got the fence up for the chicks ,but it,s chilly out so don"t know if we"ll be turning them out today unless the sun comes out this afternoon.
    I still haven"t planted my tomato plants and green peppers.
    we really need some warm weather everything that we planted is up but not growing very fast.
    Our chickens and garden are at the back of our wooded property,so you have to go down this little lane to reach them,I told my daughter last week I was going to put up a sign that said hillbilly lane,because theres piles of cut wood all the way down the lane.
    So for Mothers day here comes my 2 daughters and their hubby with a sign that says Hillbilly lane and 2 arrows below that says horses one way and chickens the other.
    then they planted different flowers in different spots all the way down the lane with little bird houses and hanging chimes from the various trees.
    Now keep in mind that it had rained that morning so you can image what we all looked like,muddy"""" But what a great Mothers day present.
    when I get time I"l take pictures and post them.
    Have a good one. sixtyslady