Garden Com Post 7

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, May 18, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Here we go on yet another volume of the Garden Post.

We have received a very good suggestion from a fellow member and I think we all should try to at least post our state each time in our post. It will help others identify our zone without having to look up everyone's profile.

Here is the post:

I am starting this post to make a suggestion to everyone. If you remember, and think it is a good idea, could you put your location in the title line? It is hard to look constantly at each profile to find out where you are, and my memory is not good enough to remember the locations with the nicks.

Perhaps just a state is enough, or somethng even more definite, like California, Northern Coast. or in my case, Wyoming, north central. I think it would help each of us to learn what grows where and if the suggestions made would help us out where we are?

Thank you Jana for the wonderful suggestion! We are always open to any suggestions to make the Garden Post a little more "user" friendly.

2. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Hi gardeners, finally warm here. Sort of went from freezing at night two weeks ago to 90 in day now. Short Spring.

The birds are a lot of fun! A year ago I sort lumped all small birds together as "sparrows".

The place I moved to has a genuine old fashion porch. Seems like porches disappeared in houses built after WWII.

The personalities of the birds a fun. The Blue Jays have such an attitude.....kind of amusing how important and special they know they are.

Very few birds I see now....I think they have gone to their own territories for nesting and plenty of food around now. (I think the Blue Jay owns my house.)

Cheers, your mr Bill
  3. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

nothern Il.
    well we finished planting our garden for now. got all the squash and cukes into day tomato plants and my green pepper plants in.will try to get the pumpkins in to night yet.
    and then will plant more in late june for another round of Green beans .onions and lettuce.
    we planted our sweet corn 2 weeks apart so I guess we should pretty much get corn all summer.
    I was lucky to get a nice big up right freezer at a auction sale.its really good now we"ll hope that we can buy a half beef from a farmer.
    I really never thought that we would be back to raising our own food again we did when the kids where all home when you have 9 mouths to feed,you learn to grow your own food.and all the other ways to burning wood for heat.
    my hubby is putting a eve spount up on the chicken house and we"re going to catch the rain water so we can water the garden.its a long Hillbilly Lane to carry water for the plants. everything sounds so primitive here,but I love it in our woods. sometimes I feel bad for city do they afford to live in the city? We could never make it if we didn"t live in a rural area.
    well have to get about started supper. so take care and happy planting. sixtyslady
  4. bct

bct Active Member

I am so tired of running around watering stuff that wasn't prepared for the early 100 degree weather we just had. It might even rain today they say, with temps. going down below normal.

Today I'm going to pot up a few things: geraniums, flowering maple (abutilon), and something else that has just slipped my mind.

I've got so much parsley that I don't know what to do with it. If I had a juicer I would juice it I guess; probably tastes pretty bad, but is probably very good for you. I was going to make tabbouleh but can't find any decent or even half-way decent tomatoes in the store, so skipped it. Any recipes for parsley?

The bird song has been great. The sound of black-headed Grosbeaks and Hermit thrushes ring through the hills; the quail are nesting; the black-winged kites are fluttering overhead.

Enjoy your day.

Nobody answered if they were going to grow summer squash, or what kind is your favored for eating. Am I the only one growing the stuff? !!!

5. sisland

sisland New Member

It's been in the 80's for a few days now and everything is in full bloom and all the willow trees are budded out now ,,,,,,,,,,,,I share about 1/3rd of a Community garden space,,,which is kinda fun to meet other gardeners!,,,,,,,,,,,Well yesterday a Russian Family Moved into our Complex and now have a 1/3rd of the Garden too,,,,,,,,

They don't speak english,,but their daughter does,,,so that's nice!,,,,,,,,Very Nice and Pleasent people!! And wow did they dive right into getting their space ready for planting!,,,it's going to be a nice addition to the Garden space!,,,

onions,,,peas and potatoes are their first plantings!,,,,,,,,,I got some more work done on the strawberry patch and planted some sunflowers,,,,,hope you all have a great day!,,,Sis,,,,,

p.s. went to one of the local lakes a couple of days ago and saw 2 Loons in the water,,,,,,,,They were singing their call too,,,,it was so wonderful to hear them!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2008]
  6. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I over bought so many flowers but I have a hard time resisting! Does anyone else do that?

It is 78 today, with big flood warnings from Wed afternoon to Sunday. Interesting to watch THAT develop as now it is bright sunshine.

I have 8 dinner plate begonias to get into individual pots, I bought these bulbs on QVC. I hope to make a pretty display in our front entry way court.

Dahlias and Begonias are my latest craze in flowers. Do any of you grow them? If so, I would love to learn about how to grow and keep them happy after blooming!

[This Message was Edited on 05/20/2008]
  7. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Hello all, it sounds like everyone is well into the busy gardening time of year. We are a little late on getting the garden in since we've been concentrating on getting power and water to the barn in that magic spot when the soil is dry enough to dig, but not to to summer 'rock' stage. I have a foal due this week and really wanted the lights functioning!

Barry I always grow summer squash! I love the old original yellow crookneck, also Tromboncino and one I havent been able to get for the last few years which was a wonderful Italian or French squash - not that ridgy kind that they call Italian Zucchini, it was a gray/green color, smooth and kind of short. It did mildew quickly but had wonderful flavor.

We have garlic spears ready to pick and that's what I'm having for dinner! My favorite veggie now for sure. Other than that, our garden is such a jungle of weeds we may have to get a bulldozer in to find the soil underneath! ;-)

- oh yeah, our temps here are in the 50's and 60's all week. Ugh. We ahd record lows last month, record highs last week, now back to cold drizzle.

8. laceymae

laceymae New Member

It's been unusally cool and wet for this time of year in Kentucky.

My strawberries have done well though. I've put some in the freezer and am going to make jelly tomorrow.

My potatos are about one foot tall right now, but I am late getting the rest of my tomatoes and peppers out.

I haven't really added any new flowers to my bed this year , but almost all of the perinnials from last year survived the winter.

9. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I can"t believe how they have bloomed this year.
    I can"t take them in the house they bother me for some reason ,so I cut a huge bunch and put them in a container between my angel statue,s in front of the it welcomes everyone comming up the front walk.
    My peonies are getting ready to bloom also,hope by next week.
    Our garden looks good but we need some rain here.

and its still chilly hear at night. have a good one.
  10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I have put a peony in a pot, so no lawnmower can get it.....

I used to grow begonias in Alaska, but haven't started here until just now. I bought a peach colored one and put it in a pot, so I can't share any valuable advice. Hopefully our begonias will survive! I did read that they like shade.

The lilacs here are in full bloom and smell wonderful! I have a few baby bushes- nothing I'd want to pick from- so I snuck some from an abandoned bush on the roadside....naughty! But they smell so wonderful!

We are waiting for warmer weather again!
  11. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

All the flood warnings came true! I am now FAR behind on my springtime planting...I am changing to call it summertime planting as it will easily be June before I get vegetables in.

Unfortunately, with such a short growing season I am thinking of switching to putting in plants instead of seeds!

I am not unahppy though. The country side will be green and gorgeous the summer months instead of dry and brown.

What is happening where you live? wet or dry this year?

12. bct

bct Active Member

Hello to all. After three days of almost 100 degrees, the weather turned round, the temp. dropped to highs of 58, and the wind howled for three days. I hate the wind, and aside from watering, I stayed inside a lot.

I'm afraid it is going to be a drought year here; will prob. have to buy water if well runs dry. Oh the joys of country life!

Gas is up to 4.35.99999999, so am limiting trips to town, which is good for my energy level (CFS).

I have my tomatoes in large pots, and hopefully will be getting them into the ground this week; ditto the squash. Next time I go to town I'll pick up a few basil starts to plant with the tomatoes.

In the flower garden, the lilacs are well over, geraniums are starting to bloom, roses are in bud, and the bearded iris are looking great. Also lots of poppies, catmints, etc. etc.

Jana: I don't grow the begonias you have, but I think they do need shade from hot sun. I grow a few dahlias, but I have to fight the deer for them. A neighbour who grows them says she has no probs. with deer; she just pours undiluted fish emulsion around the plants and the smell keeps them away! I am going to try it, but I sure hope my dog doesn't roll in it, lol!

I saw some yellow petunias at the nursery the other day. I think I'll get some next time I'm in town, and some more annuals for a new tub I'm planting.

What annual plants do you others like, or plan on growing this year.

13. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I love purple petunias....have you noticed how wonderful they smell? Very spicy and fragrant. I also love the smell of purple iris and lilacs. Right now we have all three in our yard and it smells wonderful.

Update on my tomatoes: the large plants that I cheated with (did NOT grow from seed!) are doing quite well in the greenhouse. We've had a cool, wet spring, so they love it inside. No wind to contend with, either.

I have a few strawberries coming on my potted plants, so will do my best to shoo the birds away. We have some tree swallows that have adopted our place and they seem to like the porch for some reason. Hopefully they are not trying to build a mud nest....that wouldn't be a good decoration on our home. We have a little house for them, but they are flying into our porch area all day long. Maybe they are just catching bugs. They are really pretty to watch, though.

Has anyone grown garlic? I tried planting some the other day and a local person told me to just buy some in the grocery store, which wouldn't be seed garlic. I hope it grows, but if it doesn't, I'm not out much (33 cents).

14. bct

bct Active Member

I'm not doing anything today!

Hi Terri; I didn't like petunias very much for a number of years (too common.... boy was I a plant snob then!) but I like them a lot now, except for the doubles, which seem to be too heavy for their own good. I think the doubles always look a bit confused.... This year I'm doing yellow petunias, but I'll get some purple ones too; I think they'll look good together.

What's everyone else growing for colour this year? I planted some snapdragon plants called 'Night and Day'. The foliage is very dark, and the flowers are to be white and dark crimson bi-coloured. It is said to be an old variety from 1899. Sounds good to me! I've been humming the tune for a few days now (and nights!). One of those tune-worms that gets into one's mind.

Regards to all,
  15. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Here I am in the heart of Los Angeles. (Not, in my opinion, a very good place to live, whether you are a plant or a person.)

Anyway my garden is a dozen of Gordon's hanging orchids and even more potted plants. The aborial orchids have to be watered daily. Four of them have bloomed this year.

Right now the Turtle Shell Oncidium is in bloom. The petals are yellow. The typical brown spots oncidiums have are on the back of the petals.

Speaking of yellow petunias, Terri and Barry, I saw some on the way to the farmers' market the other day. They (the petunias, not the farmers) had no faces. Just clear yellow.
    Anyone know anything about these expressionless flowers?

Mr Bill and Sis, aren't birds fun! Unless, of course, you are staggering across a desert, and there are buzzards overhead.

I didn't know they had loons in Montana, Sis. I saw one in northern Minnesota once. It was paddling on one of the 10,000 lakes and making its weird call. Really does sound like a mad woman laughing.

Sixtyslady, got your freezer full yet? Remember when Lucy ordered two sides of beef?

Barry, the only recipe I know for parsley is "a bed of". You put things on it.

Jana, my mother used to grow dahlias. She would put a single flower in a flat, milk-glass vase. Very dramatic.

Foggy, my brother lives in Gresham. I've been to Oregon so often I know how to pronounce Willamette and the Dalles.

Got some great, huge strawberries at the farmer's market, Laceymae. Also some red cherries and raspberries. All more flavor-full and cheaper than at the supermarket.

16. greygodess

greygodess New Member

We have had a cooler and wetter than normal May. Possible frost tonight. Got my few tomato plants in. I have quite a few perennials. The bleeding heart is huge. Irises, peonies, day lilies (large and dwarf), sky gazer lilies, coral bells, black eyed susan, hostas and I don't know what else. Also a few annuals for all summer color. It was really pretty a couple of weeks ago with the dark pink flowers of the crab apple and the white of the Bradford pear tree, along with the purple of the lilacs. My garden would look better if I could just keep my dogs out. Godbless
  17. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

It sure is nice to see everyone is so busy in their gardens. As for myself I have been trying to work outside every chance I get. I'm having neck surgery on June 4 so I'm on a deadline to get things done!

Last night we had a frost warning ---- Man, when will it stop ---- July? LOL.

Therealmadscientist: I love watching birds ---- I haven't seen any hummers yet but it is has been so cold here in WI they may never want to come back! LOL.

Sixtyslady: I hope you didn't get any of that frost last night? You are a whirlwind.....I can't believe how much you get done. I still need to plant my tiny garden yet.

BCT/Barry: Hello, my friend! I would love to have some of your heat....just not all of it! LOL. Today, we will be in the 70's so that garden of mine is getting planted today!

Sis: How are the Russians doing with the Montana weather? I love it that places have community gardens. We have some in Madison and I just love how creative people get in the small space of a garden and all the wonderful things they grow!

Jana: Welcome Aboard. I'm so glad you finally joined us and I hope you enjoy our little virtual garden space that we enjoy chatting about our gardens. The word gardens can be interupted into anything from a few pots on a patio to a few acres. BTW, I love dahlias and begonias. My fav's are the nonstop begonias. They give a show from spring to fall and they are just the most vibrant colors!

Foggyfroggy: Gretchen, things here have been cold as well. But it looks like things will warm up here this weekend so I hope things turn around for you as well.

Laceymae: Glad to hear your strawberries are doing well. My SO, Randy, wants me to grow strawberries in the worst way. Our last conversation was if he helps to maintain the strawberries we can.....he is still pondering this one. LOL.

Rock: Hey, I'm glad to see you over here! Are you talking about pansies instead of petunias? Pansies have faces....but I may be missing something....I'm newly blonde again with the help of my hairdresser. LOL.

Greygoddess: Welcome to the Garden Com Post! I see you are a neighbor to me! Hey, did you get any of that frost last night? The frost didn 't hit here in Southern WI, whew! Otherwise, I would have had some 'splain to do about where the money came from for those extra two flats of flowers! LOL.

OK, I'm off to plant my red onions......Gosh, I bought a bag of starters and their must be at least a 300 onions in the bag.....maybe, a neighbor or someone could use some.....that sure is a lot of onions.

18. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

what weather ,Monday it was so hot and humid we finally turned the A/C on just before bed and I had to get up in the middle of the night it was freezing the house, and its been chilly every since.
    I have a planter in the middle of my drive way with a statue of blackhawk,the Indian Chief,from the sauk valley.
    I planted yellow and purple pansy,s and red geraiums,it looks really good.
    our garden is doing well everything is up now even the watermelons.
    we want to plant another crop of green beans but can"t find any seeds ,everyone must be planting gardens again.
    Rockgor,nope don"t have my freezer full yet,hopefully we will have it full buy this fall.
    My sunflowers are commimg up their suppose to be the dwarf ones.I planted them for the birds,we have so many different kinds of birds in our wooded area some I don"t know what kind they are,I need to get some info and see how many different kinds we have. but I"m so busy right now with the chickens and the garden,and now the horse show,s are starting for the season.It will be November before things settle down.have a good one,sixtyslady
  19. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Yup, Monica, I mean pansies. These last three years I've been leaving out words, substituting words and sometimes combining words.

Even when I proofread I can't catch 'em all. If my Alzheimer's gets any worse I'll have to run for office.

Did someone mention African violets or was that a previous thread? My mother used to grow them in Minnesota (indoors).
    She was delighted when she came to CA to find that they were easy to grow, bigger blooms, etc.

She was also thrilled w/ all the flowering trees here. The jacarandas are in bloom right now. The trees shed their leaves and become lavender clouds.

20. sisland

sisland New Member

Hello to Everyone,,,The wheather is Beautiful now!,,,,the Strawberry patch is in full bloom! about 35 plants,,,,,,also the tomato plants will go in on june 1st up here,,,,,Monica,,,The Russians are doing Great! they love their garden spot!!,,,,they have recently planted parsley,,,,and some other herbs,,,,,,,,,,,,

Rock,,,,The Loons are so much fun to watch! they are great fishsermen!,,,,,,the cry is alittle earie like you say!,,,hope everyone is having a great week!!,,,,,Sis