Garden Com Post 8 CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Jun 10, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Well, sixtyslady got caught in the door as I was changing editions so I will move her post up front so everyone can see it.

Suns out"""" il 06/10/08 06:45 AM

hope it stays for the rest of the day.
    its been so wet here it will take a good 2 days of warm sun to dry it out.
    Of course the garden is growing like wild fire,need to get in with the little tiller and go between the rows.
    we"ll be busy getting ready for the first horse show of the season this Sunday,so have a lot of clipping and bathing to do this week,our 16yr old Granddaughter is going to spend a couple of days with us and give Grandpa a hand with bathing the horses and getting them ready to show. shes become Grandpa,s riding partner this year they manage to ride the horses twice last week,but they did get wet one day. She thought it was great fun.
    I would like to plant some herbs in a flower pot on the deck and see how they do.I love rosemary. well happy planting. sixtyslady

[This Message was Edited on 06/18/2008]
  2. greygodess

greygodess New Member

I bet your grandaughter will have a great week. Girls and horses seem to go together.

Haven't done alot outside. Been to darn hot and wet. Thunderstorms every day. Now I am on cipro for bronchitis so I can't go out in the sun. I'll have to do my gardening in the morning or evening.

The green beans are coming up. Peonies were looking great until all the storms. Balloon flowers, spiderwort, and roses are blooming and the day lilies are going to start any day. Godbless
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Well~~What a Season so far!,,,,,It's now snowing to beat the band today! The Garden is covered with the white stuff on june 10th no less ,,,

heading out to dust off the Tomato Plants!,,,,,then i'll cover them up with a palstic grocery bag,,,,,,,Hope to save them!,,,,uggg!,,,Love reading about all your plantings and Blooms!,,,,Sis
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Gordon was re-potting an orchid earlier. A white and
    yellow Laelia. You can see a pic of it if you go to Santa Barbara Orchid Estates.

Never heard of balloon flowers, Greygoddess. I searched and found sites for making balloons into flowers. Also found the balloon flower which is a perennial named platycondon. Kinda looks like a star-shaped hibiscus.

Went to Trader Joe's yesterday. Lots of flowers for sale including peonies. Don't think I've ever seen cut peonies for sale before. Also had blue hydrangeas. They remind me of the hats ladies used to wear.

Sis, what is your altitude? Hard to imagine snow at this time of the year.

5. sisland

sisland New Member

Yes i know!,,,,,Snow is not usual this time of the year,,,,,we are losing plants and tree branches etc,,,,

Montanas Maine altitude is 3,500 ft,,,highest peak in Mt is Granite peak in Glacier national Park at over 12,000 ft lowest is the Kootenia River at around 1,800 ft,,,,,,,,,,,,,

we are certianly not as bad off by far as the folks losing their homes to the Floods,,,,,and Tornados!,,,,Strange Wheather!,,,,,,Hydrangeas sound nice!,,,,S
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2008]
  6. bct

bct Active Member

Too much wind! It has been driving me nuts as usual; always has had this effect on me. Anyone else?

Gardening has been hard: lots of watering, weeding, and planting. The wind dries everything out so fast, and we are in a drought year here to begin with. The containers have needed watering about every day.

In the garden lots of bloom: daylilies are just starting, petunias, poppies (including one called Laurens Grape, which I find is an opium poppy!), snapdragons, nemesias, etc.etc.etc.

I bought a named Coleus (Tabasco) the other day. Does anyone grow these? I've NEVER been able to over-winter one in the house! I've been told it is really easy, but not for me....

I'm going to tediously shell a couple of pounds of broad beans (fava beans) today so can be cooked tonight. I was glad to find them at the farmer's market. I used to eat these all the time in England. They don't seem to be known too well in this country though. Tell me if this is otherwise.

Monica: I'm glad your surgery is complete and hope you are feeling better. I also am hoping you are not being impacted by the rains.

Rock: Nice Alstormerias! I'm afraid that the ones I have are very primitive hybrids from the 70's; still very pretty though, and taking over the yard in all colours.

Regards to All,

7. ckball

ckball New Member

I wanted to stop by to ask a question. I was told by a lady I met shopping in the garden section of Wally's while I was buying weed/grass killer.

She said salt water works just as well and is not harmful to the animals. I did get the weed killer for the areas where the dogs don't go but I need to treat the area along my gravel driveway and wanted a second opinion.

Any advise?

BTW for those that remember about my mud pit, it is now a dust bowl and I have a lawn co coming next week to sow grass as I gave up after 2 trys. I did get some grass but not nearly enough and it is taking too much time.

Am working on my rock garden now.

Monica I hope you are feeling better, I saw the post where your Dr was being a well, you know. I am sorry your are still in pain. I hope you improve soon

Hello to all -Carla
  8. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I'm not too keen on the weed killers.

Salt will work. As will a number of other chemicals that can be found at local hardware store.

If I lived in area with alkaline soil, I would use Hydrochloric Acid or Sulfuric acid, or nitric acid to kill weeds. When first put on ground can be temporarily dangerous and will kill weeds. After watering and dilution, and reacting (neutralizing) with the soil it becomes harmless and may improve soil.

If in an area with acid soil, might use ammonia or sodium hydroxide in the same way.

Pouring large quantities of salt on ground would also kill weeds until diluted with enough water.

Another thing to do is to put large quantities, or overdose amounts, of fertilizer on ground.

Just things I might do. Cheers, mr Bill

Oh, maybe some meat drippings on ground. The dogs would dig up everything and maybe have some fun digging holes.
    Also, salting the earth was used as a punishment in ancient times, so that nothing would grow.

[This Message was Edited on 06/11/2008]
  9. ckball

ckball New Member

Thanks for the science and history lesson. So just pour a lot of salt and a little water and I am good to go.

I am a artist not a gardener and it is still too early so I lost half or more :) of the other concoctions you mentioned.

I live in smallville and probably couldn't get half of the things you mentioned.

Now I want to know is what does " He/She is the salt of the earth" now that I know they salted the earth to kill everything.

Thanks for the help as my bucks are low and my weeds are high- hoping all your flowers bloom-Carla
  10. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Well, I've been searching the net about the salt used as weed killer since I've never heard of this concotion to kill weeds. But I guess it does.....just google "salt weed killer" and a bunch of options will come up. Their were even some with vinegar and dish soap. I'm not sure how good these homemade recipes will work but why not give it a will only cost you a few pennies in ingredients vs. all that money on the stuff you put on your lawn.

Be sure to let us know if any of these recipes you find work.

I just found this site and it makes so much sense....try out her home remedies[This Message was Edited on 06/12/2008]
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

One of Gordon's hanging orchids has little bumps on a spike. He is eager to see it bloom for the first time. Might take a month or two before the flowers actually show up.

Monica, I hope that site you found "this garden is illegal" is a joke. I am afraid to go look.

Carla, salt used to be very valuable. "Salary" comes from the Latin word for salt. It's still valuable, but now it's plentiful and cheap. You can find the expression "Salt of the earth" in the New Testament.

Barry, we have had both coleus and caladiums over the years. They look pretty much alike to me. I don't think I've ever eaten fava beans. They were largely unknown, I think, until Hannibal Lecter came along and enlightened us.

For anyone who had trouble deciphering Mr Bill's post, I still remember some of my 9th grade chemistry. (Of course, that was over half a century ago.)

If you consult the periodic table (or even the semi-colon desk) you will find that O stands for oxygen. S stand for sulfur. NA stands for sodium chloride which is the same salt we were discussing earlier.

OH stands for Ohio and NH stands for New Hampshire. RB stands for rubidium or rhubarb. "?" stands for element number 117.

Well, that takes care of that. Have to go finish the dishes.

12. ckball

ckball New Member

I saw many things that I would be willing to try. I wonder if Epsom salt would work the same as reg salt? I have a whole bag that I had to buy for some reason, been too long and can't remember,lol.

Ok now another favor- Look at my profile and tell me if you know what this plant is? There is an area I ride my cart by that has a hillside of them and didn't know if it was plant or weed?

IS there a good catalog or online store that I could look for trees. I looked at the nursery the other day and a Japenese maple was $99 for a small one -3-4ft tall and $200 for the 5-6ft tree. Thanks-Carla

13. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

wow what wild weather,its 92 and you could cut the humidity with a knife.and really bad storms all around us.
    hope everyone else is safe.
    our garden is doing great finally got it tilled in between the rain.
    had some wilted lettuce for supper tonight,it was really Grandma use to make it.
    been going thru my old cook books and finding alot of old recipe,s for canning and freezing I had fogot alot of them. it was good to look at the old cook books again.
    Had to make a trip to town and pick up more chicken feed. thought it would be just that 1 item but of course I found so many other things we needed so it turn out to be more than just a few dollars.
    I try to only go out of town once a week with the price of gas.
    had some really good watermelon this week,got it at aldi,s
    well folks hope everyones flowers and gardens are doing great.have to turn off my computer now its starting to storm. sixtyslady
  14. therealmadscientist

Epsom salts are somewhat neutral or a buffer. My guess is that it wouldn't be harmful unless literally smothered plants:)

My best guess on the mystery plant is lambs ear. If the leaves are fuzzy then probably what it is. It seems like it would make good substitute for tissue paper, but I have heard it can have unfortunate irritant effects.

Whether it is a "weed" depends on location.

I'm partial toward edible plants and fruit trees,and I like the fruit and nut trees in the Raintree nursery in Washington State.

A few filbert and almond trees can get one through the winter no matter how high price of food goes.

Oh, I think I like the acids because of the way they bubble and smoke when put on the ground.
    You can impress people by harmlessly putting a dry hand in acid solution (if no open cuts!) and then pouring solution onto the ground. Be sure to have a running hose to wash off hand. If you rinse off hand with only a small amount of water then may get burned.

Guess I've gone on enough. Your mr Bill

15. therealmadscientist

Someone yesterday mentioned that he used to live next to an almond orchard. His dog would spend all day cracking open and eating the almonds, and literally became obese.

When he went on a diet, he was fed and loved carrots that were boiled just slightly (so stayed crunchy) in beef boullion. Cheers, mr Bill
  16. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Epson salts can be used as fertilizer so I think that it would help grow weeds rather than kill them. Cheers Denamay
  17. bct

bct Active Member

I am intrigued by your weed! I don't think it is lamb's ear. Do you recall any flowers last yr? Maybe you could keep us up-dated.

As for weeds, intractable weeds, I am going to use weed-barrier covering on a small area for myself. It isn't very expensive, at least for small areas and strips.

Rock: Does Gordon prefer species or hybrids (orchids that is); does he specialize in any group or genus? I have no orchids in bloom at the moment. I'll have to sacrifice a fatted calf and buy one next time I see one that takes my fancy -- which is whenever I see one!

Best wishes to all, would like to post more, but gotta lie down for a bit.
  18. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

And I'm surprised! sigh.

Hi everyone!

Carla - Concerning the salt to kill weeds; remember that it doesn't just kill the present weeds, it poisons the soil so you will forevermore have problems growing anything in that location. You might go to the website of a company called Forestfarm here in Oregon - if it's a tree they carry it! It's worthwhile to order their catalog as they have soooo much stuff the website is overwhelming. Besides, you can't use your highlighter pen on the computer screen ;-)

Barry - I have grown the Favas a few times and they are good, but you are right they are a pain to prepare!

Mr Bill - My dogs absolutely love almonds! I keep some in my pocket when I go out with my dogs and they know they'll get one if the come back when I call them so I never have any problems with them taking off. A lot less stinky than commercial dog treats, and I can share the goodies!
    One Green World is another great mail-order company that's here in Oregon - same idea as Raintree but have a few different items and the nicest plants I have ever recieved by mail!

Rock - I am using your write in an email message then copy it and put it in the post trick and it works great! OK, maybe that wasn't the clearest sentence in the world, but just now my mind is running in to a brick wall so I hope you can translate it.

That nap sounds like a good idea to me too - bye all.

19. ckball

ckball New Member

I used table salt on one part and Espoms salt on the other, only the table salt section died. I have a gravel driveway and am trying to clean up the edges plus a few weeds that have managed to poke their way threw the gravel so I am not worried about replanting any thing. Thanks for the tip.

Mad I don't remember if the weed/plant flowered last year, it is on the side of a hill and a few along the roadside and didn't really go down that road last year.

I bought a golf cart to walk my dogs and just started going that way in the fall. I have never seen any thing like them before and actally kind of like them. Didn't know if they were transplantable, if you know what I mean??

Thanks for your help guys, I will see if that one company can send me a catalog. Carla
  20. therealmadscientist

The carrots from last year are blooming now. Clusters of tiny flowers that remind me of white calliflower or 4th of July rocket bursts. A bunch of ladybugs and ladybug larva on the carrots. Guess that baby ladybugs eat pollen as part of food. Anyhow, will keep more carrots growing to attract the ladybugs.

Saw first praying mantis today. A tiny creature, about half inch long. A few egg casings by a window sill....if any haven't hatched may bring it to the workplace garden.

Oh, the Valerian plant from last year is really pretty. About six feet tall and has fragrant pink clusters of flowers. I may get more, or use this years seeds. Bill

The One Green World plant online catalog is great. New plants and varieties. My wish list has tripled!

[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2008]