Garden Com Post 9 CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Jun 18, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Well, we left the last volume with Sis saying her strawberries are coming along and she only lost two tomato plants with the weird snow storm she had last week.

Also, we are still trying to find out Carla's mystery plant. Foxglove has been ruled out but I think it was Mr. Bill said, Lamb's Ear (good guess) and Barry said something that I just can't remember. LOL -- sorry Barry. I'm flaring from some major stress so my brain has gone bye-bye for today. LOL

Oh Carla, I meant to tell you all those little helicopter things that come off the maple trees have started to seed all over my yard. I'll send you some and I bet those darn little things would live too. HA --- just kidding.

Off to the shower and then to the compost site to dump a bunch of my trimmings from my peony bushes.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/11/2008]
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

LOL Sure send em to me- No that is ok, I actually have some here, but they are in the wrong place, the tree's that is.

As you see I live in a very wooded area, most house are 5-10 acs, I have less than 1, which is fine with me. But I am surrounded by tress but have none in my yard.

I love Janepense red maples and someone in my area has these gorgeous Sugar Gum ? trees. He has 3 and in the fall the are all 3 different colors of red, yellow and orange. I have pics but can't post it now. A tub is waiting for me, hehe.

I think Mr Bill is the winner, after I looked at some other pics after Sis's guess I don't think it is fire weed. Hopefully it will bloom in the next week. I didn't get to go today- thunderstorms :-( Thanks for playing, I just think this is a really cool plant all grouped up on a hillside.

I am still working on the rock garden, have moved half a mountain or so in my golf cart :) Happy growing-Carla
  3. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

But the plant at the garden at work that I thought was Lovage, and even placed a description sheet on it, bloomed recently and someone pointed out that it was really a chicory plant. Guess I'm not perfect, darn it.
    lol Cheers, mr Bill
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Mr Bill. We aim for progress, not perfection. Chicory has been used as a coffee substitute for a long time. In New Orleans, I hear, they still add chicory to their coffee.

Here's an old song that was popular when I was a kid:

Chicory Chick, cha la cha la;

Chica ala roma, in a bananica;

Bolica wolica, can't you see;

Chicory Chick is me?

Of course, it's better w/ the melody.

5. bct

bct Active Member

Pretty sure this is not lamb's ear (Stachys lanata); I still stick with mullein (a species of Verbascum.) Time will tell....

6. monica33flowers

I looked up the plant that Barry was talking about and I think he hit the nail right on the head.

Here is the website:

Check it out ---- and lets see what you all think!
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

Mystery Plant,,,,,,

Maybe this Plant has a different name in every state!,,,lolol,,, all i know is that Carla's right it's attractive!,,,and looks good out in the wild,,,,my Dad always called it Fire weed,,,,,,but you just never know!,,,,,,,,Anyway,,,

The 2 Tomato plants i thought i lost are comming out of it,,,,,,with plant food and trimming off the dead leaves,,planted another kind too yesterday,,,,,Also i'm happy to report that the first Strawberries have arrived!,,,,,Yea!,,,,85 degrees in MT today!,,,,,,Hope you all have a great weekend!,,,,,Sis
  8. monica33flowers

I just wanted to ask all of you here how are you gardens doing? Are you having all the heat or all the rain.

I decided to start an add more to my garden after all the devastation here in WI and IA for the corn. It just breaks my heart to see all of that hard work and money just devastate our farming community. Like the poor farmers didn't have things bad enough.

I do know we all will be paying a LOT more at the grocery store for veggies and meat.

Time to step off my little soapbox. LOL. I better get outside and get some work in WI we've had almost a solid week of sunshine and it has been wonderful!
  9. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

moncia, the weather is good here too. our veg garden is doing great, have to water the tomatos,peppers later today .
    I know what you mean about the price of food. everytime I tell people that I"ll have eggs for sale this fall they all want to buy some so I add them to my list, but the price of the feed keeps getting higher ,and horse feed has double since last year.,and hay is out of sight.
    the garden is looking better&better. hope to get alot in the freezer.still haven"t got any ideas how to use Orka.
    well have to get outside, have a good one .Sixtyslady
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi Everyone:

Wheather has been Beautiful for a whole week now!,,,,70's--80's,,,,,,Ate my first handful of Garden Strawberries last Evening,,,,,so Good!,,,my tomatoes have blooms on them,,,,,,,Fellow Russian gardners have onions and garlic plants abounding!,,,,,lol,,nice folks! wish i could speak their language,,,,,,,,,also planted a grape tomato plant in a big container by the house,,,,hope everyone is having a Great Week!,,,,,,,,,,,,Sis
  11. therealmadscientist

Sorry I have no idea what to do with Okra. I've had it soups or stew before. I grew some last year just to see what it looked like (wierd) and all I did was look at it.
    Good luck.

The twenty foot row of birdseed i planted is coming up really well.....I may have planted it too thick. I'll probably be looking for a recipe for millet.

cheers, mr bill. Temps OK here, just a bit smokey from fires.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/24/2008]
  12. ckball

ckball New Member

Sorry Mr Bill but Barry has got this one. I posted a new pic just now, it hasn't changed much but the yellow flowers are starting to show.

Sis yes I live in a very beutiful place, I don't need to garden as I don't eat vegetables and god did a pretty job with the part of the world I live in. I spend at least an hour a evening riding up and down all the roads in my area and still am amazed how beutiful it is.

Monica I hope you are feeling better, I have been mia on the board the past few days overdosed on rock hmm should say over worked on the rock. But it is like an addiction this collecting process.

I have fee access to all the rock I need, compliements of KY DOT off of a construction site. So what started as a small rock garden has turned in very elaborate scheme.

And I have never had carpal tunnel before, I have had the 2 weeks and the last few days really bad. Most of the rock can be pick up with one hand then I toss it to a area, then pull my car up and load it, then unload it in reverse,pull up where I want the rock and toss it out about a 1000 times, really.

Thanks for figuring out what the plant is and I really would like to have it on my hillside so will have to see how to do that.

I didn't look at your profiles just now but I hope you have pics of your beautiful gardens-Carla

13. greygodess

greygodess New Member

All the plants are growing like a weed especially the weeds. It has been so wet that it is hard to weed. If I do get a nice dry day then I have something else to do. Have to plant my cherry tomatoes in the ground. Not doing well in the tub. I have orange Asiatic lilies blooming right now but do not remember buying any. That is one of the joys of gardening for me. I don't always remember every plant i have so I get surprised once in awhile.

Happy gardening and Godbless
  14. monica33flowers

We are expecting more rain again today. It has been so nice having about a week of no rain and gorgeous days. My plants and garden are looking gorgeous! But man, the mosquitoes are horrible! Even using OFF I still get nailed by those hungry little buggers.

GreyGoddess: What part of the country do you live? I hear you about the weeds. Two of my maples shed those helicopter things and I am forever trying to pull those darn things out of the ground. I hope you get some dry weather here soon!

Carla --- so you are still moving mountains, huh?

Barry ---- How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in a while? I hope you're not flaring. Take care!
  15. bct

bct Active Member

Many fires in the county I live in, about 50. None near me, but the smoke has been annoying.

Monica: yes, my dear, I am flaring wildly myself. Thanks for the enquiry. I hope you aren't in too much pain from your neck procedure - I'm a little uncertain as to what you actually had done.... I use Valium myself for muscle and neck pains, etc.

As to gardening, lots of colour. White Asiatic lilies named Kansas are starting to bloom near canteloupe-coloured daylilies. Near them is a Clary Sage 'Vatican White'; I am hoping this one will set a bunch of seedling volunteers Most of my parsley is now in this bed, what little is left after the Great Parsley Purge!

I am going to get some garlic chives from a guy up the road, also some plants of Salad Burnet. Does any one grow either of these two? They sound easy, and hopefully tasty too. Let me know if you know.

Carla: congrats. on your weed. If you want some, let them go to seed and scatter it where you want it; some will usually come up. Are you planting a rock garden? Or are you "dry-scaping"? What-ever, it sounds like a lot of fun. I enjoy the tales of your excursions!

Sixtyslady: I'm so glad your garden is coming on. About Okra: you either love it or you hate it. I love it! Most people don't. Best way to get people to like it is to deep-fry it, or cut it up and flour it and fry. Of course this is not the healthiest, because of the fat. At the other end of the spectrum are yummy, crunchy okra pickles -- just make them like dill pickles I guess. Aside from okra, I am still rooting for your chickens!

Tired now, and out. Sorry to have missed anybody.

Oh yeah people, PLEASE tell me what kinds of birds you have been seeing. I'll tell you mine later when energy, etc., you know...

16. therealmadscientist

Guess that mullein (or Aarons rod) is the winner. So I'll have to change my name of a plant growing here to a different name,....again:)

Wonder what else I've misnamed? lol mr Bill

Oh, I did find the real Lovage tastes like celery and is a relative of celery.

Went to local health food store today and saw chopped mullein for sale, with a label "for medicinal use only"

[This Message was Edited on 06/26/2008]
  17. greygodess

greygodess New Member

I live in Michigan just north of Detroit. Today was about 86 and then thunderstorms come through. Yesterday was nice until the afternoon then we got bouts of rain for the rest of the night. Some plants are dying because of too much rain.

Usually we have great summers. Blue skies and sunshine in abundance. Last time it was like this was when Mt Pinatabu (sp)blew it's top. We had a chilly and cloudy, though not rainy, summer the next year.

I heard that July is supposed to be cooler and wetter than normal. I guess you just have to put up with it. Godbless
  18. therealmadscientist

I think Europe had a terrible famine for about 3 years around 1310 because of too much rain. Then the Black Death Plague hit about 1348. Not really good years in Europe. Cheers, mr bill
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2008]
  19. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

Hi Guys,
    Its sort of cloudy here,suppose to rain and then a cool fronts comming in.
    Barry, I found a receipe for a fried Orka salad,its Paula Deens so it should be a good one.
    I'll have to look for the pickle receipe.
    My chickens are growing and doing great,their really becoming quite a handsome bird.
    Our garden is also doing water lillies in my fish pond our so pretty this year. other than that I don"t have to many flowers, because of the shade here.
    well have to get started .have a good one. sixtyslady
  20. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

My beefsteak tomatoes are starting to set fruit already in the greenhouse. We have a German Johnson that I'm looking forward to trying, but it hasn't set any fruit yet. Mr. Stripey is doing well again this year.

Barry, you wanted to hear about birds....we have a lot of "common snipes" here, and they are fun to listen to. They make a woo woo sound with their tails when they are flying and are funny looking birds. We had a blue heron just down the road, but he has moved on somewhere else. Of course, we have many swallows, magpies, and sparrows. I enjoy watching them all. A meadowlark had claimed our property for about a month, but he also seems to have moved on. We also had a nesting kildeer on our berm, but even though I stayed away, something must have gotten to it because the eggs are gone and so is the kildeer.

To MadScientist: If you get some good millet, try adding it to a bread recipe. It makes a nice crunch in the bread.....we love it. Birds do too, so you may be sharing with the aforementioned birds!

Have a good day,