GARDENING WITH CFS AND/OR FM

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by bct, Jun 12, 2014.

1. bct

bct Member

GARDENING WITH CFS AND/OR FM IS A REAL DRAG FOR Me and I suspect others. Still, I do enjoy what I can do --- which often consists of five minutes of weeding, or just looking at the plants I've planted in the past, beyond the windows, flowering.

Today is in the 70's, so not too hot thankfully. Easier to keep up on the watering, plus the blossoms will last longer. Right now I have five varieties of lily in bloom, with more on the way. Also, the back yard is lovely through the kitchen and lounge windows, with Peruvian Lilies (Alsroemeria) blooming by the hundreds. I intrduced them about 35 yrs. ago and they have seeded all over in back. They make a nice cut flower to enjoy in the house. The butterfly bushes (Buddleja) are coming on too, the first being B. Black Knight, whose flowers are so dark they are hard to see from any distance, but they DO attract the butterflies.

Butterflies: There are lots of kinds flying around here now, but I saw my first Monarch of the season. I have some milkweeds, so am hoping it is a female and will lay eggs! There are also a lot of Swallowtail butterflies to be see, of several species. And the beautiful California Sister and its mimic, Lorquin's Admirals are everywhere.

For those who don't know, I have CFS (starting in '94) and don't get around much anymore. I live in the Redwoods region of N. Calif.

I love the nurture of nature, and vice versa.

See any flowers, birds or .......?

Love to All,
    About to fall,
    Barry
    Soul* likes this.
  2. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

I bet your garden must look like heaven Barry with all those lilies!

These are the lilies in my garden. I'm not sure what happened since they all used to be yellow :p
    [​IMG]
    They have a lot of flowers this year, I've had year with barely no flowers before.

I love gardening when I'm up to it too. Can't really give the energy required but what works works and what doesn't doesn't. This year for the first time the zuccini's have grown up and are getting there first zuccini's and I have tomatoplants that are starting to get flowers so very exciting.

I noticed a lot more butterflies today too but since I'm also growing cabbages or at least trying too :p all of a sudden it makes me kind of nervous since the white butterflies over here are known fro laying there eggs on the cabages :D So it's a bit of a mixed emotion ;)
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Barry, I am also an avid gardener. I can't imagine not being able to garden and will push myself until I crash. To me it is worth every minute of it. I've had CFS now for 23 years so do find it hard at times to get much done, but whenever my energy is willing, I try and get at least one small job done even if I only last 10 minutes. Digging over my veggie boxes can cause me to crash for weeks but is all worth it in the end. :)

I bought a collection of 24 lilies this year so I'm looking forward to them blooming. I also bought a Butterfly collection and six dinner plate Dahlias.

Apparently the Monarch butterflies are starting to disappear from North America due to the farmers wiping out the Milkweed with their herbicides. The David Suzuki Foundation is encouraging Canadians to plant Milkweed in their gardens to try and save the Monarchs. I'm going to see if my local nursery has any available or if they can order some in.

I'm also on the west coast - Metro Vancouver, BC. Our summers are starting to get hotter so it is changing what we can grow here. A couple years ago someone was predicting that western BC will be the new CA in the next 50 years. I won't be here then to see it, but it would be great to be able to grow oranges and lemons in my back yard.
  4. bct

bct Member

Hi Soul, nice daylilies. Mine are blooming too. I wish I could post a photo of my Cranberry Baby, a lovely little dwarf. Did you know that some of the daylilies taste good? The flowers that is. They are used dried in Chinese cooking and are called "golden needles". I have eaten them in Chinese restaurants before....

I really have to crash right now, and I see TigerLilea is posting. I'll have to talk more , later. Tiger, I had dozens and dozens of Monarchs hatch and grow full term several times before, but not in about a dozen yrs. or so. You are perfectly correct about the herbicides that are wiping out lots of Asclepias plants. Good luck in finding some; I'm growing two very different species, both hardy and coming back each year, and also spreading mildly by seed.

Talk to you both later,
    Love Barry
    Soul* likes this.
  5. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Barry no I didnt' know that they are edible. It's fun to find out that there is so much in our backgardens we can eat. Will look into it some other time.
  6. bct

bct Member

Tigerlilea, hi! What do you mean when you say you bought a butterfly collection? Are we speaking Buddleja? And how are your lilies doing, and what kinds did you get? I bought several packs of lilies this year, but they are not doing well; I accidentally got undiluted fish emulsion on them and they didn't like it! :mad:. I prefer the heavily scented trumpet types, and have several that have yet to bloom. Thank god I didn't get anything bad on them!

I love dahlias too, but the deer go straight for them and gobble them. I guess I could grow tree dahlias, but it is a little too cold in my microclimate in winter. Do they grow them where you live? I visited Vancouver once and loved it. I always wanted to visit Victoria, but didn't make it.

Happy Gardening,
    I'm resting today :rolleyes:
    Barry
  7. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Barry not sure if it would work for deer but I heard some tips lately to spray plants with chili pepper diluted in a soapy water, I don't want to spray my veggies with soap but for flowers you don't want to eat anyways it might be worth something to try out. Probably best to try out on a small spot first to see how the flowers react.

Growing dahlia's around here is a big thing. There are people who have huge dahlia community gardens with all sorts. I never grown them. I think they are used for flower corso's as well.
  8. bct

bct Member

Soul, I spray my deer-prone plants --- the few I have left --- with a solotion of putrified eggs and rotten garlic. It smells VERY bad, but is not detectable after it dries. I DON'T make it myself! It does keep the deer away, but is rather pricey.....

Best Wishes,
    Barry
  9. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Yeah the pepper solution is sifted through a (cofee)filter too so that it doesn't leave pepper traces when used. I'm oversensitive to smells so I don't like to use smelly things for prevention so if ever I try something it will be the pepper one.
  10. bct

bct Member

Hi Soul! Yes, I've heard of the pepper solution/spray, and have used it. You really have to be careful of your eyes! :eek: One bad experience with it made me shift directions. It wasn't only my eyes, but I got some on my hands and took a pee (in the woods, of course) and ouch ! ouch! ouch.....o_O Fortunately I recovered ! :confused:

The deer population seems to have diminished this season. The population got too large and was afflicted by some disease apparently. A mange of some sort I believe. The foxes keep the rabbits down, and unfortunately the chipmunks too. I haven't seen a chipmunk in well over a year, whereas I used to see three or four at a time on my bird table. The circle of life, I guess.....

Is anyone else out there gardening? Tell your tale. Have a houseplant? Tell.

Richard just called from the feed store to ask me about some plants he was interested in. A red Verbena and a blue sage I think. We'll see when he gets home (with my chocolate I hope!)

Love to All,
    Barry
  11. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Lol Barry, that made me chuckle, quite a way to warm up huh :p
    Karma has it's ways :D What goes around comes around in more then one way, I can imagine that made you change your ways. I use pepermint oil a lot to overpower smells etc so know how that feels when getting in the eyes. Good to have heard your story so I'll be extra carefull if I ever do need to use the pepper solution.

Good news from the gardenfront, some of my tomatoes finally have flowers. I already harvested some zuccini's too and had fresh daily strawberries for quite some time now. Alongside with the rocket aka arugula and had a lovely soup with fresh kervel (don't know the english word and to tired to look it up now).
  12. bct

bct Member

Hi All! I am recovering still from our wedding last week. Fortunately it was cool, in the low 70's, so not much watering to be done. But now ---ZAP --- heatwave, and 101 degrees yesterday. Just got my watering done for today and am relaxing with a cup of chai.

Soul, you have harvested zukes already! What do you do with yours? I like 'em raw, steamed, or fried. In England my relatives called them marrows and they got huge; I remember my mum used to stuff them.

Because of the severe drought we are having, I am growing very little this year other than ornamentals (can't resist!) and a few peppers, parsley, chives, and all the other herbs I can think of.

I am so happy that the chipmunk(s) have returned. Just since my last post bemoaning their demise. Maybe I will start moaning more.

Lots of birds; ravens ate the baby robins; young purple finches everwhere as are black-headed grosbeaks and many others. I sit outside and listen and watch.....

Love to all
    Barry
  13. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

I filled the round one Barry. I don't let them grow big but harvest small.
    [​IMG]

Cut a small piece of the bottem of the zuccini so it can stand on it's own. Cut the lid of. Hollow out the zuccini and lid. Steam it for about six minutes. Bake some fresch ginger and peppersauce in some oliveoil. Bake the smoked tofu with fresh thime, rosemary and caraway herbs from the garden. Cut sweetpeas into pieces and bake together with the peas and zuccini from own garden and add a pinch of salt and asafoetida. Add in some tomato and sprinkle the steamed zuccini with a little salt and fill up. You could put it in the oven for a bit but isn't necesarry. Bon Apetit.

There are also some tomatos starting to grow now (still very small).
    [​IMG]

And I harvested my first kg of mirabelle plums and made jam.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  14. bct

bct Member

Lovely pic Soul! My mouth is watering. Is that to-fu or cheese? I suspect the former because I believe you are a vegetarian Buddhist. Correct me please if I'm wrong! What else is in your recipe? Perhaps I am completely wrong and the white cubes are radish or turnip or, or, or.... o_O

Mirabelles are the little yellow plums aren't they? I love them, and have just remembered that there are some of them left from an old planting( before my time ) at the front of the property, along with some damson plum trees. If I had the energy to get out there to see them..... Well, the birds will enjoy them anyway ;).

Right now the trumpet lilies are blooming. They are so heavily heavenly scented. Too strong for some with MCS I'll bet. This one, name unknown, is white shading to a deep pink centre. Very nice. If I knew how to post a pic I would :confused:.

Love 'n Hugs to All,
    Barry
  15. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

It's tofu, the smoked version. I am a vegetarian but not a Buddhist, I do live a spriritual life style though. I'm a vegetarian with amongst others a dairy intolerance, so vegan diet basically. And I do apply some of the dietary recommendations for a spiritual life style like not eating any onion or leek families which is supporting for a strong basis of inner peace to me.

Yes the Mirabelles are small yellow plums. I'm gonna wait a bit longer with picking the next batch since they are still a little tarnish but I guess that's not to bad for the jam. I still have to open the first jar to see how it turned out.
    [​IMG]

I'll edit the post with the zuccini with the recipe so you can read back what's in it.

I bet those trumpetlilies look beautiful! We used to have them too in my childhood, I think we had trumpet lilies, tiger lilies and emperor lilies but we usually got that little red beetle in them messing them completely up.

I love seeing things in the garden develope and am excited to see this year again it's doing little better as last year. The compostheap is really proving it's worth. Here is another pic of the cucumber starting to buff up. [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  16. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Oh and here is how to post a picture:

If you found a picture on the web or have a picture on your computer that you want to use this is how to go about:

1. If it is saved on your computer go to step 2. If it is on the internet click with your right mouse button on the image and select the option to copy the image location and go to step 3.

2. After typing text in the text box, it is time to insert your picture. Below the box is a button that says Upload a File. Clicking that will allow you to select the image on your computer, and then click the save button. Wait for it to upload and once the green bar is full you will be able to select the option insert full image. Click it and your picture will be inserted in your post and you are done.

3. Above the box where you type your reply you will see a small icon of a mountain postcard next to the smily. Click the postcard. Hold down your Ctrl key and your v key at the same time and you will have pasted the link to the image. Click the insert. That's it!
  17. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Wooohooo, todays surprise:
    [​IMG]
    This plant was sown early spring last year and survived our crazy soft winter and only now starts to get a cauliflower, patience pays of :D
  18. GvMeStrgth

GvMeStrgth Member

Oh I love seeing you guys gardens.

I always wanted to garden but I live in an apartment and need to do the next best thing.

After a few years of yearning badly but never could find either the energy or money I made an effort. I bought window boxes (3) for flowers and tomato plants. Problem was I had no where to put them so I came up with the bright idea to put them (tomato plants) on top of my a/c.

What turned out to be a bright idea turned into a terrible one, for various reasons. Not doing enough research I would have known I needed at least a 5lb pot/tub for each plant needing to be at least 2ft deep. What I used was too shallow and anything bigger would have been to cumbersome to place in the already akward place in which I had to use a stepstool reaching to the side over a drop leading to the basement. And I'm afraid of heights. As if that wasn't enough my evil super torments me day and night. I believe Fibro/CFS is one of the reasons. He seems to have strong opinions about my disability so he makes life incredibly hard for me. So in making life a little more difficult he got one of the other tenants to chain their bike to the railing I'd have to reach over making it very hard to reach and me nervous about losing my footing.

I had the plants rigged up so the wind wouldn't blow them off and had hardware attached to the bottom that fit in the slots of the a/c. You would have to lift it first to move it. One day when I went to water the plants I found them teetering near the edge of the a/c. In my effort to get them they fell several feet below. I grabbed them up and bought them inside where they've been ever since. Not sure what to do with them now. Even if I used planters big enough anyone could get to them outside. I would never see a tomato. :( So it looks like I'll be giving them away.

At least my wild flowers are growing! :) I'm hoping to see flowers before the evil one thinks of poisoning them.

I think I made a newbie mistake being the height of the flowers might be too big for the window. I figure I could cut them down though and bring flowers inside from time to time.
  19. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Very creative ways of gardening, trying things is always good, may often fail but if it doesn't that's a perfect way to find what works for you. You may want to look up vertical gardening. There is a lot possible even in the window. Especially things like lettuce and cabbages and such who do not need much depth.

I lived in an upstairs apartment too before this and had a community garden for a while but was to hard for me to cover the distance so couldn't keep up in the long run. I was lucky to get this down stairs house because of health urgency. It's a good thing I have a garden now since the cost are so much higher that being able to eat from it is quite the necesitty.

If you are able to get out of the house you could ask around in the neighbourhood if there are any people willing to lend you a small patch in their garden in trade for some shared crops or something. But there might be things that would work inside too.

Oh by the way the mirabelle jam worked out real nicely. It's lovely to mix in with applepuree or on a banana sandwich.

I picked another kg today and you can't even see that I picked anything, it's so full and plums are frequently making their way down on their own. That's the downside of a loaden tree I guess :p Will probably make chutney next. For now I put them in the freezer. It's a lot of work to not only pick but also clean them so that's not something I can do on a daily basis. We'll see how it goes, if nothing else they'll at least provide a good soil enricher on the compostheap and a nice snack for the birds.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  20. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Everybody, I'm not able to garden but I enjoy reading this thread. I love to see the pictures of the flowers and plants. Thanks, to all. GB