Garlic and Pau d'Arco users please read!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ali-may, Sep 27, 2002.

1. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hi - I don't want to be an alarmist, but thought everyone using blood-thinning herbs (and/or drugs) such as Pau d'Arco and Garlic should be aware of some possible dangers. There was a news story recently about blood-thinning herbs and how they can make surgery very risky - if your blood is too thin it won't be able to clot properly and you could have excessive bleeding in surgery. This is VERY dangerous.

So if you are going to have surgery and you use these herbs, let your doctor know! And stop taking the herbs a while before you go into hospital!

I'm not sure if this also applies to omega 3 and 6 supplements such as Fish oil and Flaxseed oil. If you take these it may also be worth checking into.

Personally I was a little freaked out yesterday - I've been taking Pau d'Arco, and yesterday I accidentally cut myself on the side of the foot - the blood was quite runny and didn't start to clot (and stop bleeding) for a while. No harm done, as it was only a little cut - but I did bleed more than I usually would from such a minor injury.

I've finished my Pau d'Arco treatment for now anyway - no more left in the bottle - but just thought I should offer some advice/insight!

Alison

2. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hi - I don't want to be an alarmist, but thought everyone using blood-thinning herbs (and/or drugs) such as Pau d'Arco and Garlic should be aware of some possible dangers. There was a news story recently about blood-thinning herbs and how they can make surgery very risky - if your blood is too thin it won't be able to clot properly and you could have excessive bleeding in surgery. This is VERY dangerous.

So if you are going to have surgery and you use these herbs, let your doctor know! And stop taking the herbs a while before you go into hospital!

I'm not sure if this also applies to omega 3 and 6 supplements such as Fish oil and Flaxseed oil. If you take these it may also be worth checking into.

Personally I was a little freaked out yesterday - I've been taking Pau d'Arco, and yesterday I accidentally cut myself on the side of the foot - the blood was quite runny and didn't start to clot (and stop bleeding) for a while. No harm done, as it was only a little cut - but I did bleed more than I usually would from such a minor injury.

I've finished my Pau d'Arco treatment for now anyway - no more left in the bottle - but just thought I should offer some advice/insight!

Alison

3. sean

sean New Member

Alison, I take garlic,and there are many claims as to what it can do, one of the more believable being that it has good blood purifying properties. I have never heard of garlic having an anti-coagulant/thinning effect. I may be wrong, but you can't always believe what you read, so unless you find a wide variety of info on the claim of it having this effect I would take the claim with a pinch of salt so to speak.
  4. ali-may

ali-may New Member

I believe that garlic does have these properties, but perhaps I'm wrong - does anyone else have some insight? Omega 3 and 6 oils do have these properties, as does aspirin.

Blood thinning is a good thing - it will prevent the risk of having a stroke! But I'm just saying that where surgery is concerned, you can't be too careful - you shouldn't take a lot of aspirin leading up to surgery, so it would follow that you should also go easy on the blood thinning herbs and supplements pre-surgery.

The story made the TV news here.

Alison
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm having minor surgery on Tues. and they sent me a letter stating not to take the usual meds, like aspirin. They also mentioned the above vitamins. Ginko is a blood thinner. I saw on one of the news feature shows where a woman almost died because she had been taking Ginko and went in for major surgery.

There are probably lots of other things. I have heard that the Guai has blood thinning properties, so I will discontinue that as well.

Love, Mikie