garlic for pathogens

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Catseye, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Catseye

Catseye Member

I discovered garlic was good for pathogens and I used it to cure my strep throat infection. It is a very powerful antiboitic, cheap, and works fast. Try to get all that from a pill. The only contraindications I've seen are use caution if you have an ulcer, you're on blood thinning meds or about to have surgery because it can have some blood thinning effects.

I have eaten one clove per day for a month straight before and it seemed to kill everything off, (including yeast which was what I was after that particular month) without producing any ill effects.

It certainly does sound too good to be true and here's some examples of some science behind it for those interested:

"Herbs and spices flavor and tenderize meat, but they also serve a more evolutioarily signifcant purpose---killing contaminating bacteria, claims Paul Sherman, an evolutionary biologist at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. Sherman and colleague Jennifer Billing looked at patterns of spice use in 4164 traditional meat recipees from 31 countries. Onion, black and white pepper, garlic, lemon juice, hot peppers, and ginger proved among the most popular. When they combed the literature to determine what herbs and spices had been shown to have antibacterial effects, they found that most are 'really powerful antibiotics,' Sherman reported last month at the annual meeting of the Animal Behavior Society in College Park, Maryland. Garlic, onion, allspice, and oreganon killed all the bacteria they were tested against, including Salmonella and Staphylococcus. Others, such as hot peppers, destroyed at least 75% of their bacterial targets. The researchers say their case is bolstered by the fact that the hotter the climate---and thus the more danger of food spoilage---the more spices are used in a cuisine. Conversely, some spices low in antibiotic properties, such as celery seed, are not much used in southern cuisines. Comments Zuleyma Tang-Martinez, an ethologist at the University of Missouri, St. Louis, 'Most people think the only reason we use spices is because of the taste, but [Sherman] has gone beyond that.'" (

"Garlic ( Allium sativum ) extract has been known to have inhibitory activity on various pathogenic bacteria, viruses and fungi. The objective of present investigation was to study in vitro inhibitory activity of garlic extract on multidrug-resistant (MDR) strains of Streptococcus mutans isolated from human carious teeth. Filter sterilized aqueous extract of garlic was prepared and used in the present study. For isolation of S. mutans , extracted human carious teeth were cultured in Todd-Hewit broth and Mitis-Salivarius-Bacitracin agar. S. mutans was characterized by colony morphology, biochemical tests and other conventional bacteriological procedures. Disk sensitivity tests and broth dilution methods were used to determine antibiotic sensitivity profile and inhibitory activity of garlic extract on S. mutans isolated from carious teeth. Of 105 carious teeth tested, 92 (87.6%) isolates of S. mutans were recovered, among which 28 (30.4%) were MDR since they were resistant to four or more antibiotics. The highest rate of resistance was observed for tetracycline (30.4%) and least resistance (0%) to teichoplanin and vancomycin while 22.8% and 23.9% of the isolates were resistant to penicillin and amoxicillin, respectively. Chlorhexidine minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) for MDR and non-MDR S. mutans varied from 2 to 16 microg ml-1 and from 0.25 to 1 microg ml-1 , respectively ( P S. mutans were sensitive to garlic extract with the MIC ranging from 4 to 32 mg ml-1 . Considering in vitro data obtained in the present study, mouthwashes or toothpaste containing optimum concentration of garlic extract could be used for prevention of dental caries."

When I had strep throat, I wanted to make sure that's what it was so I went to the doctor. I had had it before and was fairly certain that's what it was because it was a terrible headache with a really raw sore throat and I could feel that it had spread into my ear which hurt like the devil. I was pretty scared because I knew I couldn't tolerate antibiotics and it felt like it was getting pretty serious. The doctor confirmed it and wanted to write me a prescription for some antibiotics. I passed on the scrip and got online for something I could tolerate that would work. I came up with raw garlic. I chewed up one clove per day for 3 days and all symptoms had disappeared.

The next time I saw that doctor, I told him that I used garlic to get rid of it and he said he wished more people would be willing to use it but that so many people are brainwashed into thinking they need a pill they wouldn't even consider it. Of course, where I live the doctors are much more open minded. They have to be because not everyone here can afford pills - they even write prescriptions for things besides drugs here.

The optimum way to use garlic for me was to chew up the clove and chase it with ice water or juice because it burns, it's like eating a jalapeno pepper but the only difference is, the burning doesn't last with garlic. As soon as you rinse out, it's not bad. There are 2 compounds in the garlic clove that have to mix together to form the allacin which has the killing properties and it will degrade and be ineffective within an hour. So you can't just crush some up and keep it in the fridge, it has to be fresh, raw garlic.

So you chew it or crush it and swallow right away. Strep was gone in 3 days. But last year I had a massive parasite/yeast/bacterial infection that took 2 weeks of garlic to ease off. Also works on parasites quite well!

2. Catseye

Catseye Member

I tried to find a good one for awhile, but I also found lots of conflicting information about if they could keep the allicin active while it was dried out. I decided not to risk it and kept on with the fresh, raw stuff. It's not the "funnest" thing to eat, but it's strong and works fast. When I first read about it, it sounded to simple and good to be true, but after trying it and seeing what it could do, I'm so happy I probably won't ever have to use pharmaceutical antibiotics again. They are way expensive and make me feel lousy which progresses to unbearable.

The one garlic supp I found that I would use is called Garlinase, by Enzymatic Therapy. They claim to have a way to keep the 2 compounds from mixing together until they reach your intestines - they're enteric coated. So if that's true, then they should work virtually as well as the fresh. And one pill is supposed to be equal to 4 cloves of garlic! I've never eaten more than one big, fat clove in a day. But these are big cloves that I eat, like the size of 2 brazil nuts. So maybe they mean 4 regular, small cloves. At least with the pills, you won't have to run and brush your teeth afterwards. I'll probably try them eventually, just for convenience's sake and to see if they work so I can pass it on.

But if you want to try the fresh: if you just pop a half a clove in your mouth, chew it really fast and swallow it, then drink some cold juice (I use grape) afterwards, it's really not that bad. The "hotness" goes away quickly and it's really worth the results. If you think too hard about it first, it WILL be nasty, guaranteed!

I got my friend to try it and he didn't want to (he was sick and is into all this health stuff but didn't know about the garlic) so I kept saying, "come one, if I can do it so can you, be a man!" and that is guaranteed to make any guy try anything if he knows you can do it. So he chewed up a clove and acted like a big baby, saying how awful it was and making funny faces! But he uses it when he's sick, now, because he saw how well it worked. And fast, it's not like you have to chew on it forever. But it's also great for yeast so a maintenance clove every 2-3 days is what I do now.

I was only interested in garlic for the antibiotic properties. I don't know what else garlic supplements are supposed to do and I've never used one. But from what I've read, I don't see how the garlic would be as effective dried out as it is fresh with the allicin intact. The allicin is supposed to be what kills everything and it will degrade and lose its power within an hour or so after it is formed from the mixing of the garlic compounds, that's what I've been reading about it. The Garlinase would be your best bet because they seem to have that problem covered. As for other properties of garlic, I've read they can have a tumor shrinking effect on cancer, but I don't know about anything else.

best wishes

3. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

karen I have been cutting up the garlic real small and swallowing it so I do not have to taste it and I take a digestive enzyme do u think that works??

kjm do u like hummice it is so good for u and u can get it with raw garlic in it I eat it with these flat pretzals can't remember what it is called-Kim
  4. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

I have no problem with taking garlic in small doses -- I take two cloves a day for possible benefits for prventing infection, lowering cholesterol, etc. Exept for people on blood thinning meds or have blood that doesn't clot well, generally, it has little side effects.

That being said, antibiotics for strep throat are not only to decrease the symptoms of illness (many folks get better without it) but to prevent rheumatic fever which was a common and serious conseqence of strep throat before antibiotics.

Here's a blurb from the CNN health library:

"Symptoms of rheumatic fever generally appear within five weeks after an untreated streptococcal (strep) throat infection. Most cases of strep throat don't lead to rheumatic fever. In fact, even in untreated cases, only a small percentage of people with strep throat develop rheumatic fever.

In many cases, rheumatic fever may affect the heart valves (rheumatic carditis) and interfere with normal blood flow through the heart. There's no cure for rheumatic fever. But it can be prevented by prompt and thorough treatment of a strep throat infection with antibiotics.

Rheumatic fever isn't as common in the United States today as it was at the start of the 20th century, before the widespread use of the antibiotic penicillin. Outbreaks do occur periodically, however. Rheumatic fever is still common in developing countries."

5. Catseye

Catseye Member

I guess you would get a certain amount of the allicin made by mincing it up fine, but I would mash it with a knife or spoon also, just to make sure. Do you take the digestive enzyme to digest the garlic? I think I've eaten most of my garlic after meals, so I would have taken a digestive enzyme, too. I have eaten it on an empty stomach before, but then I don't take enzymes just for the garlic. Never really though about it.

I didn't know that about rheumatic fever. My mom had that when she was little and has the valve problem now. She has to take antibiotics when she goes to the dentist because of it.

6. DizzyS

DizzyS New Member

I buy the minced garlic in a jar and toast a bagel or bread and put butter and the minced garlic on...Yum!
  7. Febricula

Febricula New Member

But then I eat garlic with everything!

I think I read somewhere that the maximum benefit happens if you chop up raw garlic and then let it sit for 15 minutes before eating it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I can try to look it up if people are interested.

Anyway, garlic is a great example of a proven natural remedy. I want to repeat, though, other people's warnings about its blood-thinning properties. Definitely not something you want to eat a lot of before surgery.

And I would agree that I think plain raw garlic is more effective than pills.

8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The best purchase I've made recently was a super-expensive (something like $45) garlic press from Williams Sonoma.

I'd never felt the need to seek out a garlic press before, and the ones I had before were really annoying to use and clean. This one is very large (crushing those big cloves), with a design that lets it be cleaned up in literally two seconds.

So much for the ad.

Anyway, after that I started using a large clove of garlic (elephant garlic) every evening. I mixed the crushed garlic with a little olive oil and a good bit of flavored sea salt, then spread it on gluten-free crackers. (The ones I got at the health food store, Mary's something, were terrific.)

Sometimes I added some flax seed oil too. If I was feeling in a milder mood, I cooked it briefly (like 1 minute) in a saucepan on the stove, just to mellow it a little.

This did a great job on my yeast problem, which always is important to me.

I was hoping it would help with a bacterial issue too, but so far no luck.

9. Catseye

Catseye Member

I finally tried the garlinase pills that I mentioned before and I don't think they work like the real thing does. Just thought I'd mention that. It would have been nice for the convenience, but I just don't get the same effects.

10. wallace

wallace New Member

in the olive oi/ lemon drink put it all in a blender is an easy way to get a lot of garlic. On lymenet people have reported that eating a lot of garlic(look for garlic gigi threads) is helping.

But it would appear we are talking a lot of raw garlic around 10 cloves or so daily.

If you take a lot it will probably give you a herx so theres proof that its working.

Taking charcoal will deal with the odour problem.

Obviously you will probably want to work gradually upwards.

Anyway thought I would boost a garlic thread here for any garlicky thoughts here.

11. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Here in England we never really used to use garlic but I think the influence of european travel and all the resturants here now have helped us accept lots of different spices and herbs to use in cooking.

We use garlic and spices every day now in our food.
    In salads I use garlic/ginger/and spices with olive oil and lemon as a dressing and I throw garlic/ginger in almost any food I cook.Just at the end to it is still quite raw.

Indian food is really popular here in UK now and I love it!!I am supposed to get the flu jab every year but I have noticed since I started using all these spicy things that I have not had a cold or flu for a couple of years.

I used to suffer horrendous painful chest infections for a long time and even had an inhaler because the docs thought I had asthma but I have been fine for so long now.

So I will continue to stink but be healthy!!!!LOL.

12. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for the garlic push. I've tried eating raw cloves before and they just burn so bad, I stopped. But I'll give it another go with a juice chaser. And maybe even try what someone suggested, adding it to yogurt. Also, it would be very good mixed with a little olive olive and spread on toast or crackers.

Do you know if cooking alters it? e.g., sauteing the garlic in a little olive oil and then eating it. I presume probably not as effective ....

13. Catseye

Catseye Member

rena and mbofov,

Yes, we stink! It's worth it to be healthy. Also comes in handy if you have someone around you want to get rid of. Too bad it doesn't work online! LOL

When you chew it up, just chew it really fast and swallow right away. Then grab some ice cold juice to drink. It does have to be raw to have the pathogen killing properties. I'm sure there are still other health benefits if it's cooked. It is good with olive oil on crackers, but it still has a strong taste. When you chew it or crush it, a couple of compounds mix together to make the acid that kills. But it degrades rather quickly and is destroyed by cooking. So you can't even use garlic you crushed yesterday (or even hours before) or any of that minced garlic that comes in jars.

It was really amazing how it got rid of my strep throat that time. I haven't been using it lately and I haven't been sick, but the next time I get a cold or anything, besides the hydrogen peroxide in the ears I'm going to eat a clove.

I guess I should mention about the hydrogen peroxide. If you poor some in each ear at the first sign of a cold, it will go away. You have to do it at the first feel of that tickle in your throat. If you wait until the next day, it will be too late and it won't work.

You take 1-3% hydrogen peroxide (I use 3% or 9% diluted to 3%) and lie on your side and poor it in your ear. Wait until it fizzes out, like 5 minutes. It may tickle just a little at first, but it's not bad. Then do the other side. I've knocked out 3 colds with this. The fourth it didn't work because I waited too long. I thought I was just having an allergy attack and ignored the tickle in my throat. The next day I had a full fledged cold. Then I used cat's claw and echinacea and it went away pretty quickly. I sometimes take the cat's claw and echinacea when I do the peroxide, though I don't think it's necessary. I just wanted to avoid being sick at all costs.

I read about the hydrogen peroxide online a few years ago. Some doctor was promoting it as a way of preventing colds. Something to do with killing off the germs in the ear since it's a great breeding ground for them. It worked for me and a couple of friends who have tried it. Now I do it even if I spend a lot of time around somebody who is already sick just to be safe.
  14. wallace

wallace New Member

I have just ordered this book though I wont buy any garlic supplement.

I am on 12 cloves daily how about the rest of you?

Its great for mold as well as lyme etc according to dr Klinghardt

Book Review: THE GARLIC CURE
    Review by Tamara Jankoski

Quote of the Month

Editor's Note
    This month, we have a review on the brand new book, "The Garlic Cure", by James F. Scheer, Lynn Allison and Charlie Fox. An informative, easy-to-read book, "The Garlic Cure" is packed full of solutions for an extensive variety of health issues, including cancer, fatigue, and heart problems.

Last week, Bill Evans and I had the opportunity to have dinner with both James Scheer and Charlie Fox. Afterwards, when we dropped them at their hotel, Charlie challenged us to a race to the opposite side of the parking lot. We gullibly accepted, and promptly lost. I should admit that we were in a car while Charlie was on foot. I should also mention that Charlie is seventy-five years young. He is remarkably fast and a strong testimony to the healthy lifestyle he practices. Charlie attributes his amazing energy and health to his eating habits and, of course, his regular consumption of aged-garlic extract. Listed in "The Garlic Cure" is a long list of ailments that can be improved, or even cured, by a daily dose of garlic. It is great reading!

For your best health...

Back to the top of the page

Book Review: THE GARLIC CURE
    Authors: James F. Scheer, Lynn Allison and Charlie Fox
    Review by Tamara Jankoski
    It was almost 24 years ago when I first met Charlie Fox, at the place of business where my husband worked. The most unusual and humorous characteristic about him was that - even though none of us were in the nutrition business at the time - whenever Charlie was coming down with a cold, he would walk in the office reeking of garlic, chomping on cloves in hopes of rebuilding his immune system and avoiding the annoying ailment.

One day Charlie was offered a "perfect-fit" job. He was asked to be the sales manager for a new, little-known company called "Wakunaga of America", makers of Kyolic Odorless Garlic. At Last! Something that would protect all of Charlie's family, friends, and associates whenever he was feeling a bit under-the-weather. That was 22 years ago, and Charlie is still at Wakunaga, though it is no longer a little-known company. Kyolic garlic is now the most recognizable name in odorless garlic supplements.

Charlie Fox and another friend of mine, James Scheer - former editor of "Let's Live" health magazine have teamed up with Lynn Allison to write "The Garlic Cure", newly released and published by Alpha Omega Press, of Fargo, North Dakota. In the fresh, bubbly, sprinkled-with-humor writing style that I have come to recognize as James Scheer's writing, this book is an easy-read for anyone interested in discovering the healing properties of garlic.

"The Garlic Cure" reveals a multitude of benefits for an amazing variety of ailments. Backed with clinical trial references and dosage instructions, I was fascinated to read all that garlic can do.

As an example, "The Garlic Cure" contains an extensive discussion on cancer and heart disease. Also mentioned is what it does for the herpes simplex virus II and candida albican. Both natural garlic and aged, odorless garlic extract are shown by dozens of studies - many double-blind - to outwit allergies, arthritis, Alzheimer's, cancer, candida albicans, colds, flu and sore throat, toxins, fatigue, and cardiovascular complications. The list goes on.

Probably the biggest surprise to me was how garlic relieves fatigue. "The Garlic Cure" states that even "Egyptian laborers who constructed the Great Pyramid at Giza were issued a daily supply of garlic to renew their energy."

Equally impressive was how garlic is considered by the National Cancer Institute's Designer Foods Program to be the most promising food for the prevention of cancer and other devastating diseases.

Dr. John Pinto and Dr. Richard Rivlin, researchers at the prestigious Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, found that, "aged-garlic slowed the progression of prostate cancer by means of its unique sulfur compound called by the unspellable name S-allylmercaptocysteine - SAMC, for short." "The Garlic Cure" notes how prostate cancer is highly prevalent in countries where large amounts of animal fat are consumed. In Thailand, where little animal fat is consumed, prostate cancer is almost non-existent.

Another topic covered pollutants and toxic substances. Garlic can help protect us against the effects of insecticides, herbicides, and fungicides in our environment - including additives that are found in our processed foods. One statement in this section that I found particularly interesting was the comment on fluoride. The Garlic Cure states, "A former rat poison, called fluoride, widely used in drinking water, toothpaste and mouthwash to prevent tooth decay, fails in its main purpose (as shown by solid studies in respected publications); reduces our immune power; and makes us vulnerable to many serious diseases."

"The Garlic Cure" also discusses how heavy metals poison our bodies. One such heavy metal, aluminum (found in foods, beverages, medicines, cosmetics, antacids, antiperspirants, antidiarrhetics, and medications) is considered to be a prominent cause of Alzheimer's disease. How many other ways are we exposed to toxic metals, such as mercury, cadmium and lead? There is neither any way of knowing, nor any way to prevent it. However, by turning to foods and nutrients that detoxify, such as aged-garlic that binds heavy metals, we can limit the effects such pollutants have on our bodies.

Overall, however, what caught my attention the most was when I read that aged-garlic extract reduces homocysteine levels. Many health professionals now regard homocysteine levels as a far more serious threat to the heart and arteries than cholesterol.

Evidently, garlic is better than the proverbial "aspirin to the thin the blood" as a crucial factor in heart health. Aspirin prevents abnormal blood clotting, yet often causes the unpleasant side effect of bleeding in the stomach and elsewhere. Also, aspirin cannot cope with excessive blood fats, cholesterol, triglycerides and the ravages of homocysteine. Aged, odorless garlic can, as demonstrated by many cited studies.

Gary Gordon, MD, DO, cofounder of the American College for the Advancement in Medicine and president of Gordon Research in Payson, Arizona cites the overlooked importance of lowering homocysteine levels. In a five-year follow-up study of 14,916 doctors, there was a three-fold increase in heart attacks in those with the highest blood levels of homocysteine. Dr. Gordon states that soon it will be a common practice for doctors to pay more attention to their patients' homocysteine than to their cholesterol.

Susan Lark, MD, a prominent heart specialist, alerts us to the fact that "women with high levels of homocysteine have 24 times the risk of heart disease than those whose levels are low." Some 80 clinical studies reveal that homocysteine damages the lining of veins and arteries, stimulating the harmful growth of smooth muscle cells over injured areas. This limits or blocks critical blood flow.

Research by Dr.Y.Yeh, at Pennsylvania State University, reveals that when there is not enough folic acid in the diet - a widespread condition contributing to higher homocysteine levels - the most powerful biochemical is aged-garlic extract, which slashes blood homocysteine levels by 30 to 70 percent.

A nutrient that revs up the immune system for minimizing the risk of killer diseases, garlic also helps in fending off and treating minor but annoying ailments. With the common cold, most people - at the first sneeze - think of vitamin C, vitamin A and zinc. Not bad thinking, but it excludes another helpful nutrient: garlic. For a recurrent sore throat, natural health guru Andrew Weil, MD, recommends a modern version of grandma's cure: two diced cloves of garlic mixed with food.

A frightening problem that The Garlic Cure deals with is the increasing impotency of antibiotics against disease. Even powerful antibiotics cannot seem to control the resurgence of tuberculosis (TB), an old scourge that is once again being brought to the forefront. Farm animals are regularly dosed with antibiotics, not just for infections but as growth promoters, also. Patients quite readily pop antibiotic pills to prevent the most minor of infections. These are some of the reasons that people have developed a resistance to antibiotics faster than drug companies can develop new ones.

Highly contagious, TB can be spread by a cough in an airplane, or any other pubic area where stagnant air is present. These words are intended as a wake up call, not as a scare tactic. This book tells exactly how garlic, "Russian penicillin," was used early in the 20th century for the prevention or treatment of TB, and how it can be used effectively today.

Dr. James A. Duke, one of the world's foremost authorities on medicinal plants and herbs, writes: "The Chinese use garlic to treat TB with decent results. If I feared that I had been exposed to TB, I would take at least one garlic capsule a day, and I would make sure the label said that each capsule was standardized to the equivalent of at least one gram of fresh garlic."

The list goes on for ailments that can be cured, prevented, or at least improved by garlic and aged-garlic extract. "The Garlic Cure" also reports on preliminary studies that indicate aged garlic extract may prevent Alzheimer's disease. In-depth research also shows it to be effective in coping with stomach ulcers and even sickle cell anemia! Some of the most interesting sections of "The Garlic Cure" are chapters featuring testimonial letters from people with ailments that range the total medical alphabet.

Overall, I was highly impressed with the information found in this book, and surprised at the extensive ways that garlic and aged-garlic extract can help critical ailments - not just viruses and colds. I appreciate "The Garlic Cure" referring to the solid, double-blind studies that show this herb's effectiveness in disease prevention and treatment. In addition, the book offers 139 gourmet garlic recipes created by Lynn Allison.

Aged-garlic will now be an addition to my daily supplement regimen, not just when I am coming down with a cold. I believe anyone who is interested in better health will find the information in this book eye-opening and beneficial - truly worth the trip to the bookstore!

15. Catseye

Catseye Member

Wow, wallace, thanks! Very interesting!

I didn't know about aged garlic, I was thinking I had to chew it up.

grammy27, you're right, I sure didn't put much thought into it! One time, I forgot to have a glass of water handy and I popped my clove and started chewing. By the time I got some water, the burning had really set in and I was on fire.

They should have garlic clove eating contests. How about that, a contest that heals you from cancer, high homocyteine, heavy metals, infections, candida, Alzheimer's and cardiovascular complications! Might not taste as good as that pie eating contest, though.
  16. wallace

wallace New Member

raw garlic with and without olive oil and see how much easier it is to eat with olive oil.

As he says dont be a wimp with regards to the amount of garlic!

Herbal Treatment for Preventing Colds and Flu
    by Dr. Richard Schulze

Will you get a Cold or Flu this Winter? The odds are YES! The Average American Gets 2.8 colds a year. Don’t just sit there sneezing and sniffling. Do something about it!

Are antibiotics the answer? Medical Alert! Last September, the Journal of the American Medical Association stated that Antibiotics have little or no benefit for Colds, Upper Respiratory Tract Infections or Bronchitis. JAMA went on to say the high rate of antibiotic prescribing has even backfired, causing an increase of new harmful drug resistant strains of bacteria.

Doctors continue to write over 12 million prescriptions per year for these drugs, knowing that they are not effective. Some doctors claim that “patient expectations” are the cause of this drug prescription abuse. It seems that doctors are handing out ineffective and dangerous drugs instead of educating the patient.

The only real way to prevent colds and flu and fight off infection is to have a strong immune system. Curing diseases with drugs often results in a recurrence of the same problem later, because the real cause of the disease wasn’t addressed. Worse, because drugs can cause disease organisms to concentrate and mutate (creating resistant strains of pathogens), the disease or infection often recurs with a vengeance. This proves the old saying,

“It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature.”

The only true cure for anything is the one your body creates when you live a healthy lifestyle and prevent disease before it starts. We need a strong, healthy and protecting immune system.

The Herbal Dynamic Duo: Echinacea and Garlic
    I spent 20 years in the clinic working with thousands of patients who had a cold or influenza. I witnessed firsthand the effectiveness of Echinacea on a daily basis.

Echinacea (pronounced ek-eh-na-see-a) is both the common name and the botanical Latin name for the plant. There are eight known species which are indigenous only to the United States, although it is now cultivated all over the world. The most common species of Echinacea used today are Echinacea angustifolia, Echinacea purpurea and Echinacea pallida. Although the root is typically the part of the plant that is used, the entire plant including the seeds, leaves, flower head and stalk are medicinally competent. It is in the same family as the sunflower and looks like a purple petaled smaller cousin. It grows wild in many areas of the Midwest and southern United States. The Echinacea purpurea species can easily be grown in a sunny spot in your backyard.

What makes a plant medicinally effective for treating disease? It’s the chemicals in the plant, referred to as phytochemicals (phyto from the Greek word meaning plant). Echinacea contains many phytochemicals such as Polysaccharides, Isobutyl amides, Polyacetylenes, Cichoric Acid, Echinacoside, Cynarin, etc. These chemicals are known to cause the following preventive and disease fighting physiological responses.

Hyaluronidase inhibition—this protects your cells by stopping bacteria, viruses and other disease causing organisms from being able to penetrate the cell wall.
    Stimulates and increases the number of leukocytes (white blood cells)—These cells (T-cells, B-cells, Granulocytes, Macrophages, etc.) are some of the main components of your immune system. They fight off invaders in many ways.
    Increases phagocytosis—the ability of the above mentioned leukocytes to destroy and dispose of bacteria, viruses, fungus and other disease causing microbes.
    Increases production of gamma globulins—these are the chemicals that coat the B-cells and are used to make antibodies. Antibodies are chemicals that kill specific bacteria, virus and other pathogens that make you sick.
    There are hundreds of other known healing and protecting abilities of Echinacea besides colds, flu, sore throats and upper respiratory infections. A partial list includes inhibiting tumor growth, killing strep and staph bacteria, halting urinary tract infections, healing infected wounds, relieving hives and allergic reactions, stopping allergies, neutralizing toxic and poisonous insect and animal bites and stings, etc.

Garlic is the common name for the Latin botanical name Allium sativum. The medicinal usage of Garlic has been documented, if not worshipped, since the beginning of recorded history. From the Egyptians and Greeks to the Romans, Garlic was used as both food and strong medicine to strengthen and heal the body.

Why Garlic instead of Goldenseal root? The answer is, there really is no contest. Goldenseal is a much milder antibacterial bitter herb. Goldenseal contains phytochemical alkaloids that are moderately antibacterial. I’m a big fan of Goldenseal. It is wonderful for use on bacterial infections of the eyes, and mucous membranes of the sinus and throat. It is still a main component in my herbal eyewash, herbal sinus snuff and gargle. It is a wonderful herbal antibacterial that you can use on sensitive areas of the body. But compared to Garlic? GET REAL!

Garlic is one of the strongest medicinal plants on Earth. It can be diluted down to one part in 125,000 and still be effective. In fact, just the odor has proven to be highly antibacterial. It is an extremely effective and a powerful broad-spectrum antibiotic, killing all types of bacteria on contact. Garlic is so esteemed in Russia it has been nicknamed “Russian penicillin.”

Garlic, as an anti-bacterial, has been proven to destroy many types of bacteria including Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Typhoid, Diphtheria, Cholera, E. coli, Bacterial Dysentery, Tuberculosis, Tetanus, Rheumatic bacteria, and others.

Pharmaceutical antibiotics are non-selective in their destruction of bacteria— they just destroy it all. This creates many problems because our body has many so-called friendly bacteria that we need for proper metabolic functions. This is why many people, after a course of antibiotics, have digestive problems, constipation, and yeast and fungal overgrowth infections. Our bodies also become immune to these antibiotics over time and sometimes dangerous resistant strains of bacteria are actually created in our body. None of these problems exist when using Garlic because of its natural selective bacterial destruction. In fact, the use of Garlic over time has been proven to enhance the intestinal micro flora.

Garlic has also been proven in the laboratory to be a very powerful anti-viral agent. Many doctors feel it’s the cure for the common cold. It destroys various viruses that cause upper respiratory infections and influenza. Garlic destroys on contact such viral infections as Measles, Mumps, Mononucleosis, Chicken pox, Herpes simplex #1 and #2, Herpes zoster, Viral Hepatitis, Scarlet fever, Rabies and others. So while some say that the reason you don’t catch colds when you eat Garlic is because no one will come near you, remember, Garlic is also a powerful anti-viral agent.

Garlic’s potent anti-fungal ability is second to none. In the laboratory it has proven to be more potent than most any known anti-fungal drug. Garlic will regulate the overgrowth of Candida albicans.

Garlic thins both red and white blood cells. It is a known fact that most viruses, including the common cold, grow faster and spread from cell to cell more easily when your white blood is thick. Garlic inhibits white blood cells from aggregating which, in turn, stops the advance of a cold or flu.

Echinacea and Garlic: A One - Two Punch for the Common Cold
    O.K., so what do we know now? Echinacea will enhance, stimulate and strengthen your immune system to protect you from any attack. If you do get attacked, Garlic will destroy the invader on sight.

So, you may ask, why are almost all the Echinacea products in the health food stores mixed with Goldenseal? Why does the herbal world seem to prefer Goldenseal? All I can say is that there is a difference between what is popular in the herbal product sales world and what is effective in the clinic. A few years ago there were a couple of herbal tonics that mixed Echinacea with Goldenseal that got a lot of attention/hype and therefore a lot of popularity. When this happens, almost all of the other herbal product companies follow suit immediately, even if they know better, to catch the sales wave, like what is recently happening with St. John’s Wort.

In the clinic, fighting real disease in real patients is very different from the reality of marketing herbal products. Working in the clinical trenches for 20 years taught me to never lose sight of my primary focus: To Help My Patients Get Well. I used what worked and threw out the herbal theories, hypotheses and fads that didn’t.

There is one more reason to move over to Garlic: Goldenseal is in very short supply. It is on many endangered species lists. Most conscious herbalists have agreed not to use it until it is organically cultivated and available. That will be in a few more years.

Echinacea and Garlic: How to Use Them
    The Raw Herb: Echinacea root and Garlic bulb, fresh or dried, can be chewed and eaten raw.

Chew a one inch piece of Echinacea root every waking hour or two. This will make your mouth tingle a lot and take you awhile to pulverize it enough to swallow.

Herbal capsules made from dried and powdered herbs are considered by most clinical herbalists, myself included, to be the least effective way to treat patients. In fact, they often don’t work at all.

With Garlic, I don’t know if there is a limit. The only sign of overdose is gastric upset and maybe a loss of all your friends.

Don’t be a wimp! Last year I received a letter from an elderly woman who was dying from a viral lung infection. She’d had the condition for over a year and all the doctors and drugs had not helped her. The doctors gave her only weeks left to live. She read an article I wrote on Garlic and immediately consumed 47 cloves of raw garlic a day for three days. Shortly thereafter, her so-called incurable viral respiratory infection was gone. By the way, she was 83 years old.

Herbal Tea: Simmer a heaping tablespoon of fresh Echinacea root and a level teaspoon of fresh Garlic bulb in 20 ounces of distilled water. Cool and drink this amount three times daily.

Tinctures: These preparations are very popular amongst clinical herbalists and are, without exception, the strongest, most concentrated, fastest acting way to use herbs. Echinacea tincture is one of the easiest ways to treat a cold and flu. If you want to make your own tincture, just call the toll free number at the end of this article and I will send you free instructions. Be careful when purchasing tinctures: most on the market are of poor quality and will be of little benefit to you.

The tincture dosages I recommend are double what most armchair herbalists suggest, but these are the dosages that created successful healings in my clinic year after year. Echinacea must be taken steadily over a period of about one week for maximum immune protection. You must have a certain amount of the phytochemicals in your bloodstream every day to get maximum results and to supercharge your immune system.

For preventive immune boosting with no current health problems—Use two dropperfuls, about 60 drops, five times daily until you have consumed two fluid ounces or 60 milliliters. This will take about seven days. Do this at the beginning of each month for the best prevention.
    You have that “uh-oh” feeling, “no specific symptoms but I think I’m coming down with something.”—Use four dropperfuls, about 120 drops, five times daily until you have consumed two fluid ounces or 60 milliliters. This will take three to four days. Start immediately.
    Onset of Fever, Chills or any of the symptoms of a Cold or Flu—Use four dropperfuls, about 120 drops, eight times daily (or every other waking hour) until you have consumed two fluid ounces or 60 milliliters. This will take about two days. You may continue this dosage for a week and then reduce it.
    High Fever, Sore Throat, Yellow Mucous, Coughing, Sneezing—Use four dropperfuls, about 120 drops, every hour you are awake (about 16 times a day) until you have consumed two fluid ounces or 60 milliliters. This will take about one day. You may do this for two to three days before you lower your dose.
    Note: There are no toxic side effects with Echinacea and no known over dosage. Although health circle rumors abound that if you take too much Echinacea or for too long a period of time you could burn out your immune system, I don’t believe them. Over the years in my clinic I had many an Echinacea junkie and never saw one case of a depressed immunity because of their habit—but I did see patients not getting well from not taking enough.

On the other hand, Echinacea is a strong medicinal herb. All medicinal herbs are best used for a period of time and then stopped for a week or two. When a person needs to use an herb indefinitely because the symptoms persist, this is often a sign that the patient is hoping the herb will be a natural “magic bullet.” The person may not be correcting the underlying causes of their disease by changing their lifestyle, their food program, doing frequent elimination and detoxifying programs, engaging in movement programs and emotional healing. Remember, herbs are but one healing tool in a full spectrum healthy lifestyle.

Dr. Schulze is one of the foremost authorities on Alternative Healing and Herbal Medicine in the world today. He operated an Alternative Medical Clinic for 20 years. During the last decade of his practice, he worked almost exclusively with patients who had life threatening and so-called “incurable” diseases. To order audiotapes, videotapes and books from Dr. Schulze, call Toll Free (877) Teach Me - (877) 832-2463.
  17. Catseye

Catseye Member

Thanks again, wallace! Guess I'm back on garlic, I haven't eaten it in any great quantity lately. I'll try to work my way up to a bunch of cloves per day. That's interesting to think what it could do to lyme. I'll go check out that gigi thread.

So the charcoal solves the odor problem but doesn't render it ineffective? I imagine there will be quite an odor problem at 12 cloves per day.

18. dannybex

dannybex Member

The info in Wallace's last post is very important.

Garlic is a very heating and drying 'herb' (or vegetable). Like Karen said, it also definitely thins the blood. This may be great for some people (and IS), but not so good for people with bleeding problems or ulcers, etc..

But echinacea is a bitter herb. According to both ayurvedic (East Indian) and TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) bitter herbs are COOLING, so for those who can't tolerate garlic -- or too much garlic -- taking it with echinacea may help balance them both out, plus you get the benefits of echinacea as well.

Probably a good idea to take a week long break from both echinacea and/or garlic, from time to time...

just my two cents! :)

[This Message was Edited on 10/01/2008]
  19. wallace

wallace New Member

work up gradually to a health level for it to have an effect.
    have posted before about an excellent book called Mold the war within by kurt billings. Garlic was taken by the author and he recovered his health! He mentions there that oil increases the effectiveness of garlic.

I found this article on the web.

How to Win the War
    Secret Anti-biological Weapon Being Tested for Military, Civilian Applications

by Bill Sardi
    by Bill Sardi

At a Mountain-states laboratory researchers are testing a type of stealth weapon against disease and infection that could virtually eradicate most concerns about modern biological weapons such as anthrax or ebola, overcome the growing problem of antibiotic germ resistance, as well as disintegrate cancer cells from within, eradicate plaque from arteries, and block every known bacterium, virus, amoeba or fungi, including the dreaded H5N1 influenza virus.

GC: C6H10OS2

It's not a vaccine. It's a stealth molecule known as GC. Chemically described as C6 H10 O S2, GC is an unstable, short-lived hydrophobic molecule that penetrates biological membranes with ease. It disappears from the circulation within a few minutes after injection, making it virtually nontoxic. The molecule is very small, molecular weight of 127.27, and can penetrate through cell walls and even barriers in the brain.

Scientists have known about GC for years. The problem has been how to get it to activate properly once introduced into the human gastric tract. Even measuring its presence in the human body has been a challenge. GC cannot be detected in the blood or urine. Researchers have to utilize a breath test to confirm its presence similar to how law enforcement officers utilize a breath test to measure alcohol in the blood circulation. After oral consumption, levels of GC can be indirectly detected in breath as elevated levels of acetone.

Stealth molecule

GC is a transient molecule. Once formed, it breaks down into other forms fairly rapidly. GC must to be introduced as two smaller molecules that mix to become one new stealth molecule. Even then, once formed, GC is unstable. Pure GC at room temperature has a half-life of 2-16 hours. These problems preclude its use as a medicine.

When GC is introduced into the gastric tract, stomach acid destroys an activating enzyme before GC can be converted into its biologically active form. To date, coating oral GC pills so they won't open up till they reach the more alkaline upper intestines has been the only answer to this problem. However, most of the time, the coated capsules travel all the way through the digestive tract before they open up, often rendering them useless or unreliable. But there is a way to activate GC to unleash its powerful disease-fighting activity.

Military advantage

Researchers fully understand the importance of GC. A military force that has GC will have a significant advantage. GC will make it possible for any standing army to maintain more troops in the field. Far more troops have to be removed from field operations due to disease (diarrhea, infection, hepatitis, food poisoning, gonorrhea) than from war-related wounds or accidents. Ask troops who served in the middle east who came back home with Gulf War Syndrome. A mycobacterium is believed to have caused as many as 400,000 cases of Gulf War Syndrome.

Because of the problem of antibiotic resistance, military doctors cannot prescribe antibiotic drugs as prophylaxis. The overuse of antibiotics will lead to more antibiotic resistant microorganisms. For example, doctors are hesitant to treat a bacterium like H. pylori, which causes ulcers and stomach cancer, even though it infects nearly half the US population, because antibiotic treatment may induce drug-resistant strains. So doctors wait for ulcers to occur before prescribing triple-antibiotic therapy. On the other hand, GC does not cause germ resistance. Theoretically, prophylactic use of GC would eradicate most stomach ulcers and stomach cancer.

GC, carried in the field by every soldier, can prevent or immediately treat anthrax, Ebola, dysentery, pathogens like Salmonella, Staphylococcus, Klebsiella, the waterborne germs Cryptosporidium and Giardia, and viruses such as H5N1 bird flu, SARS and Herpes. Every field soldier serving in a foreign land should consume GC daily, as prophylaxis against potential biological threats.

While pharmaceutical manufacturers furiously work to develop a vaccine against bird flu, influenza viruses mutate so fast as to render all vaccines as ineffective. GC is active against every known virus.

More than military application

Researchers have found GC also has many civilian applications. It has been observed to penetrate inside cancer cells, which results in their death, without toxicity to healthy cells. How it knows to do this still baffles biologists.

Researchers have noted that GC does not lower circulating levels of cholesterol, but it does inhibit the formation of plaque in artery walls. Unlike statin drugs, GC is not toxic to the liver; in fact, it protects the liver.

When scientists gave GC to rodents along with a high-fructose sugar diet, it controlled insulin levels. But laboratory investigators were stunned to find the sugar-fed animals given GC did not gain weight, while the animals fed fructose sugar only, were obese. GC may be a revolutionary weight control molecule.

What is GC?

Just exactly what is GC? It goes by various chemical names: 2-propene1-1sulfinothioic acid S-2-propenyl ester, 2-propenyl 2-propenethiosulfinate, Allyl 2-propenethiosulfinate, Diallyl thiosulfinate. Actually, you may be surprised to learn that GC stands for "garlic clove," or the active molecule produced by a fresh crushed garlic clove, commonly described as allicin.

For unexplained reasons, allicin has been overlooked by modern medicine. In 1858 Louis Pasteur noted garlic's ability to kill germs in a lab dish, but 62 years later medical history texts gave credit for the discovery of the first antibiotic, penicillin, to Alexander Fleming in 1922. Actually, French medical student Ernest Duchesne first observed that penicillin mold killed germs in 1896. Regardless, garlic’s microbiological discovery as an antibiotic preceded penicillin by decades.

Antibiotic effectiveness is measured by the area of germs inhibited in a lab dish

Today thousands of people needlessly die of infections caused by antibiotic-resistant bacteria. These are mostly hospitalized patients who are subjected to multiple antibiotics. Some hospital-acquired staph infections are resistant to all antibiotics. Germ resistance to allicin/garlic has never been observed.

Roman legions used GC

The idea of using allicin to protect soldiers or civilians from biological threats is not new. Roman legions carried garlic cloves with them, and quickly planted more garlic in lands they conquered. Dioscorides, the chief medical officer in the Roman army during the 1st century AD, treated infected soldiers with garlic. Knowing of its prophylactic properties, Roman legions ate garlic prior to combat. But why aren't modern armies following the way of the Romans? The answer is simple, troops would have to carry garlic cloves with them and endure the pungency of garlic in their stomach and odor on their breath. Seems like a small price to pay for a life-saving technology. The Roman army knew better.

Conventional garlic pills simply don't contain, nor do they reliably produce, allicin. This is confusing to consumers who see the word allicin on most labels for garlic pills. But the label refers to garlic powder tested in water, not stomach acid. Stomach acid destroys the enzyme (alliinase) in garlic pills before it can mix with alliin to produce allicin. A garlic clove has to be crushed, or preferably mixed in a food blender, to create allicin prior to oral consumption. A fresh crushed garlic clove can produce ~3000–4000 micrograms of allicin, and up to three times more if placed in a food blender.

Despite overwhelming evidence of garlic's health benefits, government regulations forbid health claims even for garlic cloves. The world’s most potent weapon against human biological threats is underused even though it is widely available, is economical, and non-toxic. Modern medicine’s over-reliance upon man-made drugs is resulting in the needless early demise of millions. Think of tuberculosis, a bacterial lung infection that now affects two billion humans on the planet. Health authorities know that many TB patients can’t afford antibiotics and won’t take them for a long enough period of time to eradicate the infection. How about a garlic clove? It’s the world’s major antidote against illness.

Selected references:

Ankri S, Mirelman D. Antimicrobial properties of allicin from garlic. Microbes Infection 1999; 1: 125.

Lawson LD, Gardner CD. Composition, stability, and bioavailability of garlic products used in a clinical trial. J Agriculture Food CHem 2005: 53, 6254.

Gonen A, Harats D, Rabinsky A, et al., The antiatherogenic effect of allicin: possible mode of action. Pathobiology 2005; 72: 325.

Weber ND, Andersen DO, North JA, In vitro virucidal effects of Allium sativum (garlic) extract and compounds. Planta Medica 1992: 58, 417.

Ruddock PS, Liao M, Foster BC, Garlic natural health products exhibit variable constituent levels and antimicrobial activity against Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Staphylococcus aureus and Enterococcus faecalis. Phytotherapy Research 2005; 19, 327.

No authors listed, Garlic for cryptosporidiosis? Treatment Reviews 1996; No. 22, 11.

Canizares P, Gracia I, Gomez LA, et al., Allyl-thiosulfinates, the bacteriostatic compounds of garlic against Helicobacter pylori. Biotechnol Progress 2004; 20, 397.

Oommen S, Anto RJ, Srinivas G, Karunagaran D. Allicin (from garlic) induces caspase-mediated apoptosis in cancer cells. European J Pharmacology 2004: 485, 97.

Elkayam A, Mirelman D, Peleg E, et al., The effects of allicin on weight in fructose-induced hyperinsulinemic, hyperlipidemic, hypertensive rats. Am J Hypertension 2003; 1053, 2003.

Hirsch K, Danilenko M, Giat J, et al., Effect of purified allicin, the major ingredient of freshly crushed garlic, on cancer cell proliferation. Nutrition Cancer 2000; 38, 245.

Lawson LD, Wang ZJ, Low allicin release from garlic supplements: a major problem due to the sensitivities of alliinase activity. J Agriculture Food Chem 2001; 49, 2592.

Lawson LD, Wang ZJ, Papadimitriou D, Allicin release under simulated gastrointestinal conditions from garlic powder tablets employed in clinical trials on serum cholesterol. Planta Medica 2001; 67: 13.

Lawson LD, Wang ZJ, Allicin and allicin-derived garlic compounds increase breath acetone through allyl methyl sulfide: use in measuring allicin bioavailability. J Agriculture Food Chem 2005; 53, 1974.

Abbruzzese MR, Delaha EC, Garagusi VF. Absence of antimycobacterial synergism between garlic extract and antituberculosis drugs. Diagnostic Microbiology Infectious Disease 1987; 8: 79.

April 10, 2006

Bill Sardi [send him mail] is a consumer advocate and health journalist, writing from San Dimas, California. He offers a free downloadable book, The Collapse of Conventional Medicine, at his website.

Copyright © 2006 Bill Sardi Word of Knowledge Agency, San Dimas, California.
  20. wallace

wallace New Member

To be honest I have had on or two problems thats why from now on I will always take after garlic, activated charcoal not just for the odour but to mop up the toxins.

Gigi says that binding agents should be used with garlic and Dr Klinghardt does this religiously for example.

Have a problem taking garlic?, take charcoal is my answer.See for charcoal info.

Ater researching charcoal my view is that it is completely non toxic and there is no problem taking long term.

There is no safer abx that garlic in my opinion.

I am not trying echinacea but will try it later if I need to. Thanks for pointing this out Dan.

happy munching.