Gas and more gas

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by srollins, Apr 18, 2003.

1. srollins

srollins New Member

It seems the older I get the more I am troubled with excessive flatulence. I mean it is becoming a big problem.
    I have been ill with this DD for many many years and this has not been an issue, but in the last year it has gotten BAD! I wondered if anyone else could shed some light on this. Is it an age thing or what? I am 56.

Shirley................................I am so embaressed!
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I had that problem for awhile too. I started eating like the Suzanne's Sumer's diet, not all of what she has as I do not need to lose weight, but I cut out all white flour and started separating the carb's from the fats and proteins. In about two weeks I was more or less gas and bloating free!

Pick up one of her books, its easy you get used to wheat bread, wheat pasta, brown rice etc.

Good luck!

Oh, I think age plays a part in this too, I am not a big eater, or a junk food eater, but boy did I start having gas and the darn bloating!

Shalom, Shirl
  3. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I agree with Shirl..diet can make such a big difference. I have been plagued for some years with the gas and bloating too. Soooo painful! After coming to this board, I kept reading about digestive enzymes and stuff, well, I was in such misery all the time, I decided to try some. Oh my gosh what a difference it has made!

I must say, the first week I think I almost felt worse..then the second week I was floored at what a difference it was making.

I take two tabs in the morning on an empty stomach and a digestive enzyme before each meal. I hope this works for you like it did for me. Again, I found this info time and again on this board..it has really improved my quality of life. Come to think of it, it has also improved my sleep! As I would have to stay up because supper would always blow me up..good luck Shirley. I am soooo sorry I am soooo long winded this morning! ..Sherry[This Message was Edited on 04/19/2003]
  4. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Realised it was the white bread or pasta, cut out both and huge improvement.
    I only have wholemeal bread and find pasta impossibly too stodgy now.

Have just started on Digestive Enzymes and Acidophilus to improve digestion and gut bacteria. By the way I am 48.

Love Pat
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

First of all, don't be embarrassed! I was the same way (and in fact, I'll bare my soul enough to say it was very smelly, too!), until I discovered I was very allergic to milk & gluten products, among others. Stopped all of that, and I am virtually gas-free (and the few times it happens---odorless). For me, I think it was the gluten primarily.....and I think mine increased not so much because of aging, but because my food allergies with time got worse & worse as they were left unchecked. You might want to try completely eliminating a category of foods like gluten from your diet for a couple of weeks & see if it makes a difference. For me, a couple of weeks didn't heal years of leaky gut----that'll take a while----but the gas stopped very quickly.

Good luck! Oh, and the doigestive enzymes & probiotics mentioned above are critical, too!

Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 04/19/2003]