Gas X

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jasminetee, Aug 23, 2009.

1. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I was at Chat last night and someone asked me why I don't use Gas X. I don't normally use antacids because I had heard that they are bad on us if used long-term and of course, every problem I have is like this is long-term.

But I don't think Gas X is an antacid. It seems it's a drug. I often have problems with drugs so before I try it I wanted to find out if anyone here uses it and/or what you all think of it.

2. denis321

denis321 New Member

Teejkay, Gas X is simethicone which is a different substance from antacids like TUMS which are usually something like calcium carbonate. They are both drugs, if OTC, in my book but that doesn't mean they don't work well for some situations.

Simethicone is not absorbed into the body but works chemically to break down large gas bubbles in your stomach and thus make people feel better. I haven't heard of problems with it in CFS and have used it rarely myself but I have few gas issues. Simethicone is fairly safe.

If you don't want to use anything or gas is common, you might try looking at your diet.

I haven't heard anything about antacids and CFS.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have actually given this to my 2 1/2 pound bunny, and I am not usually one to use meds much at all and I am very protective of my pets.....did some research on it yrs ago when my bunny was having stomach issues, and tried it as a last helped him and did not seem to cause any problems - just seemed to give him some quick relief......anyway, I figure that if it didn't hurt him and not only is he very very small compared to us, but also bunnies are extremely sensitive to most things (kind of like me), then it is probably safe for us, too
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I have problems with medicines also, but have been using Gas-X after meals for months and really like them. I chew 1/2 to 3/4 of one after lunch and dinner and they really do help a lot. The cherry flavored ones are good. I also take one Tums before bed after my Benadryl dose to help settle the acid in my stomach. I take one chewable children's Benadryl to help me sleep. They are only 12 1/2 mgs. each. GB66
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Gas X, years ago, never seemed to do anything for me.

If possible, do stay away from all the stomach acid drugs. I just read an article recently that there was a study where they gave 35 healthy people who didn't have acid reflux all those drugs. They all developed chronic acid reflux after taking them. The drugs actually cause the condition they are supposed to treat. So you end up on them forever.

I'm trying hard to stay off them this week, even though the acid keeps coming back. I'm just using a calcium/magnesium thing now.

Those drugs, like Prilosec, they block nearly all nutrients from being absorbed by the body. Particularly calcium. They also raise prolactin hormone levels. They really cause alot of horrible things.