gastroparesis causing alot of problems...any others and what do you do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, May 25, 2009.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have finally learned my lesson and seriously restricted my food intake. If I want to be comfortable I have to do this. The only time I feel ok is if I have nearly fasted all day. It takes a few days after I eat a normal meal before I feel less full or bloated. My stomach swells up so much after I eat. I keep heartburn.

This along with fibro. and raynauds I have a tough time.

Does anyone else have to restrict their food intake because of gastroparesis.
  2. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

I am not sure if its what you said " gastroparesis " but yes I have a severe problem bloating ... I noticed latly the type of foods that cause this....

I am better eating light.. the things I noticed that contribute to this are fatty foods.. like a hamburger , frys, fryed foods . or fatty foods.

I have always had problmes with bloating , since a major sugery where I had blockage from adheasions.

beans, some vegies do this . Broc. grilled onion, Chili's . to much bell pepper

I am better eating lots of salid , fruit , cottage cheese, I like a lot of soup also .. tomato or cream of murshroom my fav;s
    I do a lot of cucumber and should not makes me bloat also.. But I love it. my weekness Cucumber sandwitch or tomato sandwitch. ,, as Bread is not good for us. I am trying to back away from it.

my Fibto Doc said its kinda normal for us to have problmes like this I guess.

anyway best of luck .. Huggles.
  3. Jayna

Jayna New Member

I get this intermittently, just shuts down a section of my intestine almost at random. And I too have told my doc in the past that I really felt better when I didn't eat at all. But that's not healthy. We really need our nutrients.

The biggest benefit was cutting out all processed foods, as it turned out that my body's way of coping with allergy to the food additives was to stop digesting anything for 3-4 days at a time. It still does that when I lapse, but infrequent troubles are much easier on me than the constant ones I had before.

I have recently found that taking a tsp of olive oil with most meals helps keep things moving even when I've had a 'suspicious substance'. To counter the bloated feeling from the extra fat, I also take some milk-thistle drops in water after the meal, which stimulates the gall bladder to break down the fat and help flush things through the intestine.

Good luck with this. Good digestion is a huge weight off our backs with this illness.
  4. yes unfortunately I have gastroparesis also. I eat very little, strangely I never lose weight. It comes and goes thank goodness. I will have horrid pain and bloating and feeling full for mos. then it eases off a bit. BUT I never eat 2 or 3 meals ever. I eat once a day even when it isn't bad and then not much. Normally baked or grilled chicken and mashed potatoes are easiest for me to digest. I also have fibro and arthritis which is bad enough, I have alot of pain daily. It does get very depressing....good luck to you.
  5. simpsons

simpsons Member

i try my hardest to follow the stone age diet. my dr is dr myhill and she recommends this. You can find it on her site.

I have found wheat is a big problem for me in fact if i eat it i am bloated and have upset stomach and then have aching muscles and ringing in ears.

also dairy i cannot eat only in small doses

i wonder that this is like dr chia says an entrovirus in the stomach. he has found evidence of this in 85% of patients with stomach problems.

the stone age diet is like a diet a stone age person would eat. so no additives or processed food allowed no microwaving food as that can break down the vits and minerals in it.

people with muscle problems can try twice boiled chicken bones broth.

i find pro biotics very very helpful. in fact essential they really do help raise the good bacteria levels in stomach. i would seriously advise that you try these. if you suspect you have a dairy problem you can get them lactose free.

i also used to feel better when i didn.t eat much at all but now feel better when i do eat.

also try papaya this is an amazing fruit for upset distressed stomachs.

if you eliminate foods you think you may be intolerant of for a week or two eg wheat then reintroduce it then you can see what your reaction is and identify what to avoid

you know that celiac mimics the symptoms of me/cfs have you had that checked out? by the way you need to eat wheat when you are having tests for celiac or they will not give true results and be invalid

You know they say you are what you eat and you will feel wretched if you are not able to eat. i really hope some of the above helps you.

6. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

My stomach is usually better for awhile after I do a parasite cleansing. A good dose of pyrantel helps. But I still get chronic acid reflux. But the gas and bloat go away with the pyrantel. And restricting dairy. I have to watch nuts and seeds, too, or I get bad cramps and problems.
  7. holiday16

holiday16 New Member

when I was doing some research for something else. This article mentions it at the end:

I started taking the med. for edema, but found I had IC which it also helps and one thing that really surprised me was I didn't realize I had a constant "bloating" and as soon as I started this med it went away, but comes back when it wears off. Other people with IC mention the bloating as well. You might try researching more about the gastroparesis aspect and see what other info. you can find.
  8. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Sheila and the group,

There was a research study done in Australia a few years ago that showed slow emptying of the stomach in CFS, as you have reported.

Here's the abstract:

BMC Gastroenterol. 2004 Dec 26;4:32.

Gastric emptying is slow in chronic fatigue syndrome.

Burnet RB, Chatterton BE.

Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Royal Adelaide Hospital, North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia. <>

BACKGROUND: Gastrointestinal symptoms are common in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). The objective of this study was to determine the frequency of these symptoms and explore their relationship with objective (radionuclide) studies of upper GI function. METHODS: Thirty-two (32) patients with CFS and 45 control subjects completed a questionnaire on upper GI symptoms, and the 32 patients underwent oesophageal clearance, and simultaneous liquid and solid gastric emptying studies using radionuclide techniques compared with historical controls. RESULTS: The questionnaires showed a significant difference in gastric (p > 0.01) symptoms and swallowing difficulty. Nocturnal diarrhoea was a significant symptom not previously reported.5/32 CFS subjects showed slightly delayed oesophageal clearance, but overall there was no significant difference from the control subjects, nor correlation of oesophageal clearance with symptoms. 23/32 patients showed a delay in liquid gastric emptying, and 12/32 a delay in solid gastric emptying with the delay significantly correlated with the mean symptom score (for each p < 0.001). CONCLUSIONS: GI symptoms in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome are associated with objective changes of upper GI motility.

PMID: 15619332 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I suspect that this is caused by low stomach acid production, which in turn results either from glutathione depletion or mineral deficiencies in the parietal cells of the stomach.

The reason I think this is that normally stomach acid acts as a signal when the chyme (food-acid mixture) reaches the duodenum (first part of the small intestine) for the pancreas to secrete digestive enzymes into the duodenum. If that doesn't happen properly, digestion is slowed down and does not function well. This sends a signal back to the stomach to slow the emptying. Normally the rate of emptying of the stomach is coordinated with the rate of digestion, so that the food is digested properly. But when digestion is dysfunctional, the stomach emptying is slowed more than normal.

You can determine whether you have low stomach acid by the following home do-it-yourself test: On an empty stomach, drink a glass of water into which you have dissolved one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Using a watch or clock, time how long it takes you to burp after drinking this. If you haven't burped within 2 minutes, your stomach acid is low.

There are several approaches that people have used to raise their stomach acid level. These are not permanent fixes, and have to be repeated with each meal, but they can help until the fundamental issue has been corrected.

Some people take betaine-HCl, which is an over-the-counter supplement that will release hydrochloric acid in the stomach. The amount needed is determined by increasing the dosage by one pill with each meal, until a warm feeling is felt in the stomach, and then the dosage is dropped back by one pill, and that is the dosage for each meal.

Some people have used a dilute hydrochloric acid solution. This is available from Allergy Research Group ( It's important to use the correct dilution, so that it will not damage the throat or esophagus, but will still be strong enough to help when it gets into the stomach.

Some people have used lemon juice, which is the most acidic of the common foods. It's important to use a drinking straw and to flush the teeth with water afterward, because citric acid can damage the enamel on the teeth.

Some people have used apple cider vinegar. It's not as acidic as lemon juice or normal stomach acid, but some say it helps them. It also contains potassium and malic acid, which can be helpful in CFS.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with these, to know if it has helped to speed up the emptying of the stomach.

Ultimately, I think that the way to correct this problem on a permanent basis is to lift the methylation cycle block, which will allow glutathione to come up to normal, and to restore the levels of the essential minerals by taking a good multimineral supplement. I have posted about this many times over the past two and a half years, and the information can be found in the archives. If someone is unable to find it, they can email me at richvank at aol dot com, and I will send them the information.

Best regards,

9. tracyparrish53

tracyparrish53 New Member

Oh my I thought I was alone with stomach problems. Mine started with acid reflux about ten years ago and as came all the way to my food not digesting, and also found out I have IBS. My Stomach looking like I'm with child and the morning sickness I call it was a all day long and it's been really bad since April of this year. My gastro doctor put me on another medication to help digest the food, it works well with the medication for the IBS I have. My eating habits have changed a great deal. I eat smaller more frequent meals during the day that is if I feel like eating at all. I know it doesn't help my weight issue eating more frequently, but I have taken up trying to walk three times a week,but without my back shots that's hard sometime to.

I am trying different recipes with different spices to see what bothers me more. I make chili with very little chili powder and a little salsa in it. My b/f thank heavens eats any thing I try to help with this mess I have made of my insides. To many specie rich foods. I eat a lot of fruit and some raw veggies, stay away from corn of any kind. I have learn to read the labels of every thing I buy to make sure it's not full of salt. Yogurt seems to help to.

I just know that my stomach has a hard time with certain foods and then the attacks come reminding me I need to behave if I don't want the sickness or pain.