Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by little, Oct 2, 2010.

1. little

little Member

What do you eat to help with this condition? I would like any information that anyone can give me. I told the doctor about these conditions a bout six years ago and she said that it was fibro, deal with it. These last few months it has gotten worse. I looked it up and it said to eat purred food. Does that mean baby food? Any info would be great. THANKYOU little
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I would ask your doctor for a referral to a gastroenterologist. If this doctor won't I would switch doctors.

What diagnosis do you have?

Take care.

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Little - Do you have diabetes as this is the most common cause of Gastroparesis?
  4. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, little.

Perhaps your stomach is not producing enough hydrochloric acid (hypochlorhydria). That can delay stomach emptying. In CFS, low stomach acid is very common.

You might consider running the home do-it-yourself test to see if you have low stomach acid:

On an empty stomach, such as first thing in the morning, drink an 8-ounce glass of water into which you have mixed one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Look at a clock or watch, and time how long it takes you to burp. If you haven't burped by two minutes, you have low stomach acid.

There are more sophisticated (and more expensive!) ways to do this: the Heidelberg capsule test, the pH detecting string that you swallow and pull back out, or the endoscopic instrument with a pH sensor. However, the bicarbonate--burp test works pretty well.

If you have low stomach acid, there are some things people do for this. Probably the most common is to take betaine-HCl pills. They are available over the counter. The procedure that has been recommended by doctors who suggest this is to take one for the first meal, then add one more for the second meal, and so on, until you feel a warm feeling in your stomach, and then back off one pill on the dosage and maintain that dosage for subsequent meals.

Other people use the dilute HCl solution supplied by Allergy Research Group.

Still others take lemon juice, but it is important to use a straw and flush the teeth afterward, because citric acid chelates calcium and can damage the enamel on the teeth.

Still others report that apple cider vinegar supplies enough acid for them.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. We are not doctor's here and can only suggest what MIGHT be going on.

I would suggest seeing a gastroenterologists. If you self medicate you might delay getting to see a doctor who literally knows the "ends and outs" :>) of digestive disorders.

This is anecdotal, but I had a friend ignore digestion symptoms and had dire consequences for something that could have been treated early on.

Let us know what you decide to do and how you are doing.

Take care.

[This Message was Edited on 10/03/2010]
  6. I have gastroparesis , luckily off and on. It is really terrible. Really there is nothing the drs. have given me, they just tell you to eat small meals. BUT when it acts up I can't eat anything sometimes.

SOMETIMES I can eat a little boiled chicken, or mashed potatoes, or applesauce. They do have a gastroparesis site but I find it confusing and most there have surgery , and some do eat baby food.

It has nothing to do with fibro as far as I understand.

Good luck to you.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2010]
  7. little

little Member

i have a doctor appt next week. i dont self medicate. what i have gotten into is not going to the doctor. i got tired of everything being fibro. i dont have a computer..when i can use one i come on here. i learn so much. thank you all for replying to my post. little
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I was diagnosed with hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) - it's really common with CFS.

Anyways, if you do have low stomach acid, my doctor told me to do what Rich suggests, take one capsule at a time, increasing the dose at each meal till you feel a slight burning and then back off a capsule.

The only other thing my doctor told me was to take the HCL 1/2 hour before eating. He said you actually start producing stomach acid while you're cooking and smelling food and that it won't hurt to take it 1/2 hour before to get your stomach ready.

This is mainly for meals containing protein. For something light like fruit or a snack I don't bother with it.