////Gatherin facts of Parainfluenza Virus5 found in CFS\\\\\\

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fight4acure, Jun 5, 2006.

1. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

1. It is also known as Simian Virus-5 or SV5.

2. SV5 was first isolated in 1956 from uninoculated rhesus and cynomolgus monkey kidney
    cell cultures.

3. In 1959, the SA strain was obtained from the nasal washings of a human volunteer with a
    common cold showing acute upper respiratory infection.

4. In 1959, the DA strain was isolated
    from a specimen obtained from a fatal case of infectious hepatitis.

5. In 1963, a second DA strain
    isolate was made from monkey kidney cell cultures inoculated with the throat swab of a child
    suffering from respiratory illness.

6. In 1970, an SV5 related virus was isolated from the brain cell
    cultures which were derived from biopsy specimens of a patient suffering from Creutzfeldt-
    Jacob disease.

7. It is important to note that rubulaviruses have also been associated with Chiari malformation,
    hydrocephalus, viral myocarditis, and nephritis.

8. As we mentioned earlier in this article, after conversing with Oxford University scientists, epidemiologic considerations moved to the forefront. The NCF found an excellent and intriguing medical journal article titled "Risk Factors Associated with Chronic Fatigue
    Syndrome in a Cluster of Pediatric Cases." This was written by Dr. David Bell and colleagues who represented the Monroe County Health Department in upstate New York, the University
    of Rochester School of Medicine, as well as Roswell Park Memorial Institute. Here, the authors discussed pediatric CFS cases associated with the Lyndonville outbreak. In this paper the authors stated, "Highly significant positive associations were observed for the presence of other
    family members with symptoms of CFS, ingestion of raw milk either recently or in the past, ingestion of raw eggs, and history of allergies or asthma. Exposure to hot air heating, the presence of cats on the property, and appendicitis also had significant positive associations
    with CFS. The presence of dogs in the house was inversely associated with CFS." As a result of their study, these authors concluded that, "These data suggest that a combination of host and environmental factors, including an infectious agent or agents, are involved in the etiology of
    CFS."

9. Paramyxoviruses are known to be contagious diseases.

10. having other family members with CFS symptoms
    is consistent with a paramyxovirus.

11. Secondly, ingestion of raw milk either recently or in the past as well as ingestion of raw eggs suggests an infectious agent that is passed from a farm animal,
    such as a cow or a chicken, to humans. As we have pointed out and as the medical literature suggests, a zoonotic virus that passes from animals to humans would fit that for a paramyxovirus. Third, the history of allergies or asthma would be consistent with a paramyxovirus (parainfluenza virus) due to the respiratory nature of the infection. In fact, a recent medical article has provided new insight into this very process. In a medical model associated with asthma, chronic bronchitis, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, it was found that respiratory paramyxoviruses can cause a "hit and run" phenomenon that is manifested by the development of a permanent airway disease phenotype long after the infection has cleared. Can you imagine what happens when a paramyxovirus infection becomes persistent?

Fourth, exposure to hot air heating would be consistent with an airborne pathogen. One definition we found for paramyxoviruses was the following. Paramyxoviruses are a group of RNA viruses that are responsible predominantly for acute respiratory diseases and are usually transmitted in an airborne manner.

Fifth, the presence of various associations with cats and dogs should not come as a surprise. Paramyxoviruses are known to infect numerous animal species so any association with common animals would not be surprising. Given the possible association with cows and chickens makes us wonder if any of these other animals in the Lyndonville study included feral cats, known to live in barns in rural communities.

Lastly, what about appendicitis? Well, believe it or not, paramyxoviruses have been found to be associated with appendicitis. In the medical literature, there were several articles associating measles with appendicitis. In summary, the NCF is confident that paramyxoviruses provide an attractive epidemiologic fit for CFIDS, especially after examining the data from the cluster of pediatric cases associated with the Lyndonville outbreak.

(Information gathered from article on website: http://www.ncf-net.org/library/PIV5HostChallenge-0606.htm)

Does anyone know any other facts to add to this list?

[This Message was Edited on 06/05/2006]
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

Thank you so much fight4....this is such good info.

I hope more will look at the site you posted...I ran out of ink printing all the great info! Now to find the brain to understand some of it, LOL

Did you see the Memorial List at this site? Unbelievable and so, so sad.

I'm sure others will be doing google searches up the gazeeboo...and we'll get more info soon!

Now for a treatment! RAh Rah Rah!

There's always hope!
    findmind

3. itzmede

itzmede New Member

I have worked at a veterinary clinic for 12 years, and sick for 7 (Lupus and FM). Makes me wonder......
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2006]
  4. itzmede

itzmede New Member

fifteen I had cat scratch fever and was in the hospital for 5 days. Could there be a link there?Hmmm.........
  5. itzmede

itzmede New Member

a dog that has epilepsy. I don't remember if I got her before or after I became ill. Have to look up vet records on that, but it was close to that time. Around 7 years ago.[This Message was Edited on 06/06/2006]
  6. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

but it was long before I came down with CFS. I got her at age 13, and got sick at age 28.

Forebearance
  7. itzmede

itzmede New Member

but some cases of epilepsy could be caused by a virus. I will check her records today and post this P.M.
  8. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

So I looked at CDC and the National Library of Medicine and this is what I found:

CDC lists no subtype yet called Parainfluenza-5. Only 1, 2, 3, 4a and 4b.

Here is a link to the CDC for parainfluenza viruses:
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/respiratory/hpivfeat.htm

Here is a link to a January 2005 publication about an UNKNOWN NEW paramyxovirus and where it fits in with the genetic sequences of known viruses from CDC's journal, Emerging Infectious Disease Journal (Volume 11, Number 1, January 2005, A Novel Paramyxovirus? Christopher F. Basler,* Adolfo GarcĂ­a-Sastre,* and Peter Palese*
    *Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA):
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol11no01/04-0653-G2.htm

can search by www.cdc.gov/eid

Here is the current taxonomy (big word for genetic pedigree) for the paramyxoviridae family (which you can find on the CDC website as a downloadable word document by typing "simian virus 5" in the search box):

PARAMYXOVIRIDAE TAXONOMY
    Subfamily Paramyxovirinae
    Genus Respirovirus
    Sendai virus
    Human parainfluenza viruses, types 1 and 3
    Bovine parainfluenza virus type 3
    Genus Rubulavirus
    Mumps virus
    Human parainfluenza viruses, types 2, 4a and 4b
    Simian virus 5
    Genus Morbillivirus
    Measles virus
    Canine distemper virus
    Rinderpest virus
    Genus Henipavirus
    Hendra virusa
    Nipah virus
    Genus Avulavirus
    Newcastle disease virus
    Avian paramyxoviruses 1-9
    Subfamily Pneumovirinae
    Genus Pneumovirus
    Human respiratory syncytial virus

SV5 is genetically different from HPIV 1 - 4.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  9. itzmede

itzmede New Member

Nope! I got my pup about 6 months after my first symptoms. But I have always had dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, and even pigs one year.
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

You two are great researchers!!! Thanks so much for all your hard work.

Now, there's a vet in Oklahoma, who did a study about pets and cfs...and noted the fact than many FEMALE, esp., vets get CFS!

Can't remember his name!

Maybe one of you can find him/the study...

findmind
  11. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Have they found antibodies for this virus in everyone with CFS etc. in the studies?? This, as I read it, sounds a bit to general to convince me to hang my hat on the conclusions as I understand them. I would welcome any thoughts on this matter that might influence me in that direction. Thanks my friends!!
    MRDAD
  12. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I think the viral model is perfect to describe CFS and FM. However, I am unsure which virus or group of viruses are responsible.

The viral model also explains why different people are affected differently by it - viruses mutate readily and the virus that strikes person A may not be genetically identical to the virus that affects person B.

Need more data - time will tell.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Is so good, I hope this keeps getting reda. I want to discus but my neck and back are hurting, but this makes sense to me. I wonder about honey too? I know is is natural antibiotic but I recall there is some reason re babies and raw honey that sounds a bit familiar.

Love Anne Cromwell
  14. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

I was living with an Epileptic dog when I first became sick (my roommate's pup that I mostly took care of). What is the supposed link?

-GoAskAlice
  15. ulala

ulala New Member

raw honey. About a year ago I bought some raw honey and aftre eating it I felt like my CFS/FM was gone. It was the strangest thing! I kept eating it but then started gaining weight and my sympotms returned.

I looked into it some more and decided that my feeling so well must have been because some of the actual bee's venom was in the honey. Bee venom seems to make MS sufferers feel much better. I'm allergic to bee venom so I started getting bee sting allergy shots so that maybe eventually I could get bee venom therapy. I don't know if that will actually ever happen because I am so allergic to bee stings.

Maybe the antibiotic effect of the honey worked temporarily on me. I can't figure it out. But then Mikie said that the antiviral Famvir that she took put her into remission temporarily. My thought on that is maybe it killed some viruses for awhile, but then the viruses figured out a way to get away from the Famvir?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
  16. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

amazes me. I don't have enough brain power to do all that.
    But, I did want to say that my appendix ruptured On June 26, 1974. I almost died from all the poisen in my system. I was 15. I ended up having a lot of female problems and eventually ended up having a hysterectomy about 20 years later.

I don't know if all of this is a connection to my Fibro and CFS but thought I would post it anyways.
  17. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simian_immunodeficiency_virus
  18. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

http://www.tetrahedron.org/articles/aids-coverups/polio_hepatitis_B_Aids.html
  19. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

http://www.arches.uga.edu/~tye/bcmb8010/boynton.pdf#search='history%20of%20Simian%20Virus5'
  20. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I grew up on a farm and was around lots of animals. I started having lots of respitory infections as a kid and also Fm symptoms. It is sad for me to think that we could be sick from something we caught from our believed pets. On the other hand, its looking like that`s a good possibility. I really just want an answer at this point, and hopefuly a cure someday.