GBHope Unum for LTD Questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ImDigNiT, Mar 23, 2005.

1. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

I saw your another post in which you said you had to get help with your LTD from Unum. I am currently waiting to find out if I am approved.

I have a few questions for you if you would not mind answering:

Apparently Unum recently has been in the news for denying acceptable claims. How long ago was it when you were filing your claim?

What kind of attorney did you use?

How long did it take for you to get an apporval for LTD from Unum?

I thank you in advance for your help.

Peaceful mind and body to all.
  2. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

3. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

bump...Please reply
  4. KelB

KelB New Member

Sorry I don't have an answer, but I'm currently in the process of submitting a claim to Unum for CFS. Am watching this topic with interest, so.... andother "Bump"!
  5. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

I hope we get a response, but please let me know how it goes with you and I will do the same for you.

let's keep this bumped betweem the two of us. I am on pins and needles waiting for the decision <while she chain smokes and sips wine hehe>

Peaceful mind and body to all.
  6. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I had this incident back in 1995 to 1996. I originally was trying to get short-term disability and they gave me a terrible time, then it had to switch to long-term disability. They thought of every reason to deny me in the book. Finally, I went and got a disability lawyer, David Friedes, here in Toledo, Ohio. I cannot remember exactly how long the whole process took, but I think it wasn't over a year. He collected all my doctor's records and then submitted his own arguments. I not only got my long-term disability at 70% of my original gross pay, but got back pay, so I got a couple sizeable checks. I will tell you they are really awful to deal with. I collected SSD at the same time and they found a loophole which I was unaware of and was an honest mistake of not telling them my kids got social security under my case. I didn't realize they needed to know that too and they make me pay back almost $9,000 dollars. When I asked my attorney about it, unfortunately there was nothing I could do because it was written into the contract I had originally signed at the beginning of my employment with my job. I have heard they can be really awful to people, so make sure your I's are dotted and T's are crossed with these guys. Definitely get a lawyer because you pretty much need one with them, one who specializes in disability cases. If you have a support group in your area, they might be able to recommend a good disability lawyer. That is where I found out about mine. He was a little weird, but still very good. Take care and feel free to ask me anything else you want to know. Posting that way was an excellent idea because I can't remember all the things I reply too sometimes. It's that wonderful brain fog, LOL.

GBHope
  7. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

I really appreciate your reply. I for sure know how that brain fog can be! I called them this am and they said it is still being reviewed by their internal physician.

Unum has been in the news recently about their claim practices. My doctor sent 47 pages of info to them and all my other docs sent their info as well. I am hoping since they are being scrutinized my claim will be approved.

Again, Thank you!

Peaceful mind and body to all!
  8. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I wish you all the best. I hope they will approve you quickly. Take care and feel free to message me if you have anymore questions.

GBHope
  9. KelB

KelB New Member

Just wondering if anyone above has made progress with their Unum claims?

Mine's still being considered, but my GP only completed her form a fortnight ago. She also had to send my last three years' medical records.

My part of the submission amounted to the Unum form, plus a 19-page typed document, because none of the boxes on the form were big enough! What with the fog, it took me about five weeks to write.

My employer has also forwarded a letter from my Occupational Therapist to them, explaining how CFS is affecting me and how it restricts my ability to work.

I'm hoping this will all be irrelevant, because I'm going to try and go back to work a week Wednesday. My firm has really taken the OT's letter to heart and is doing everything she has suggested. Fingers crossed...
  10. stampfreak

stampfreak New Member

They are taking forever. I've been waiting for 3 months now. I called yesterday to follow-up. No return call. Their website says my claim is "pending." Big help!

I've been wondering about getting an attorney. I might ask at my support group this weekend.

God bless,
    Sue
  11. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I didn't get an attorney though until my first denial. Then I started the process. They will fight you as long as they think they can get away with it I think. They fight very dirty. I hope you guys have success. Sorry, don't mean to sound negative. Just speaking from experience. I was so happy when I finally won my case. Take care.

GBHope
  12. KelB

KelB New Member

Thanks for the updates. Good luck to us all!
  13. allicat1214

allicat1214 New Member

In 2000, I was denied STD from Unum after a full court press by my HR dept and my bossess. That covered 1 or 2 years. After that time, Unum had their own affiliate company -- can't remember the name -- process my SSD claim. (It's to their benefit if you get SSD because they get any backpay from SSD to cover what they paid you in initial months.) Miraculously that claim was approved on the first try!!!! In the meantime, Unum denied my LTD claim. Seems kind of ironic that the federal government felt I was disabled but Unum didn't, huh??!!??

However, I felt blessed enough to get SSD, so I didn't pursue any legal action against Unum for LTD. Also, I felt I got raked over the coals just in trying to get initial STD denial overturned. I didn't feel I had the energy to fight for LTD.

The news about Unum is that several states are making them review denied claims from several years ago because of too many denials. I received a letter in January asking if I wanted another review of my LTD claim. However, again since I'm getting SSD I didn't do it. I would have had to recreate all of that paperwork and frankly, I didn't have the energy! I do understand how people would want to given no other income though, and I hope for your sakes that Unum will reverse the denial.

Now, I may regret not taking any action later. Does anyone know if SSD gets reviewed periodically? It's been 3 or 4 years now. Has anyone had SSD benefits and then had them pulled because they thought you had gotten well enough to work???

Anyway, that's my input on Unum! Good luck to all of you!!
  14. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I have been reviewed with a mini-review about a year ago. I guess everything was okay because they never did anything with it. I also have worked, done my 9-month trial work period, hhad my benefits cut off, and then reinstated because I was getting to run down trying to continue to work full-time. I struggled for a year or two part-time, and then said enough is enough because I had the most unbelieveable fatigue. I never want to feel that tired again. I am still having lots of fatigue, but doing better since I stopped. Hope this helps.

GBHope
  15. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

Unum initially requested infor from all my docs including my doc who did surgery on my knee, also from Pych. doc who is treating me for anxiety issues brouht on from my chronic illness and also from my internist who did my colonoscopy back in December.

Keep in mind that my main doc is the one who feels I should be on long term disability.

Unum at the end of my 2 30 day of extensions (which is now at 60 days. They sent an additional 8 pages of documents that need to be completed by two of my docs right at the very end of 30 days extension.

Yes,I feel they are delieberty stalling this as long as they can.

I have managedr so far in the six months I have been on leave, but now, boy oh boy, I am difinently feeling the finacial grips now. Not a pretty sight.

Keep in mind I had absolutely no problems with filing and receiveing the short term disability because it was done through a different insurer carrier through my employer used for STD.

I have not hired attorney yet, but in speaking with my docs office the 8 page last minute forms have been completed. My doc is getting a letter trancibed to accompany the forms.

This just unbelievable. I said to the account rep for unum last week that if this is not resolved I seek no other recourse that to hire an attorney. The rep is very nice and I told him that while this was not a threat, it would end up costing them more and certainly me.

If Unum demies I will hire an attorney, but I saw on another post here there is an alterative in hiring an attorney and I can't be sure I remember ...is it Alsup?

If so, do they work with clients trying to persue private disability insurance. If someone could let me it will truly be appreciated.

If anyone else has news on there pending eligibility please post here. I did read that someone was actually able to view where your claim was online. Please let me know how you need this and what info such as case number did you need to use to find out where you were in the claims process!

Since apparently Unum is back to their old practives, perhaps thos of us who are in the situation could work together by notifying each of our states Insurance Comptrollers and by also sending our concern directly to the President of the company.

Having worked is a large
    Fortune 5 company I know that when complaints are made to upper level management, a response is expected within 48 hours, and although your claim will probably not be resolved during that short time at least someone will be lookin into it. Also, if we do not get some response back within the 48 hours, we can assure them that we will be reporting our stories to the media.

What do a yall thing of this?

If you are interest, please let me so that we can all kind of be on the same page before we do this.

This is absolute B.S. and having to deal with this is certainly making my condition worsen, how 'bout you?

Sorry for the long post but I am sick of this (not so nice of a word to use) I refuse at this point to sit back and let them ruin my life financially as we have so many issues to deal with.

16. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

b - I now realize how terrible I wrote my message. Yep! Fibro fog is terrible. I was really distressed when I looked at my orirginal post will all or the slany and mis=spelling of words etc;

Good will love me anyway!

PS> Some of ya'll know exactly what it means when we post a screwed up post....is'nt that wild. TEHE
  17. stampfreak

stampfreak New Member

I got a call back from UNUM today. They said my records were all received and will be transferred to the "review panel." They will have an answer back by Friday afternoon whether it's approved, denied or needs more info.

The thing that gets me is her attitude. She says CFS is a "syndrome," not an illness. It may fall into the “self-reported limitation,” meaning 24-month max benefit (funny, that's not listed in my policy.) I reminded her that is the nature of CFS, no one test shows but it is an illness.

She also says physical activity is the key for recovery with CFS and "even Olympic athletes can perform with it," etc. I said those are people who are probably in remission (like I was for 5 years) or had Olympic conditioning prior to the illness. (As if I'm lazy!) I said CFS patients are exercise intolerant and I have trouble if I even try to water my plants! She said not to worry that the doctors on their panel will know more than she does. GRRRRRRRRRRR!

God bless,
    Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 05/02/2005]
  18. stampfreak

stampfreak New Member

Someone asked how to request status:

http://unumprovident.com. Choose "About your claim" and enter your SSN & date of birth.

God bless,
    Sue

19. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

I am so glad that at least you will know something by Friday, what _itch you have had to deal with. While don't wish illnes on anyone, my wish would be that she had to spend one day in your shoes!

Also thanks for the online inforamtion.

I am sending good vibes to you in hopes this claim will finally be settled in your favor.

20. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

I finanaly thoughy I was near the end of the approval process....but no!

I called Unum this am and they said that they had not received the eight page form and letter that my GP faxed and sent on Monday.

So now I get to go to BFE across town and pick it up myself and fax it to another number. Is it not absolutely absurd that the insurance company did not put the correct fax number on the info sent to my Dr.

I am livid. Not only that in fear of my financial obligations that are in arear.

I would image my Doc had probably spent hours on my paperwork because every time I turn around they are sending him additional paperwork.

Please pray for me...I have had all I can take and my nerves along with everything else are shot!