Gene Mutations??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by renae1979, Oct 31, 2005.

1. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

So, I just found out that my sister has two gene mutations that cause blood disorders and are genetic. They cause several things like blood clotting issues, high risk pregnancy issues, migraines, depression, etc.

So, now on top of FM/CFS, I have a very high likelihood of having these mutated genes and have to go in to get tested next week.

Has anyone ever heard of this??
  2. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

We have something called Protein C Deficiency in my family which was discovered when my daughter was being evaluated for migraines. It affects clotting factors and is made worse by hormones (birth control pills, pregnancy, etc).

Jan
  3. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Yep, these mutations increase the likelihood of blood clots by huge amounts and can mean that I can't be on any sort of birth control, etc. The doctor told my sister that here "migraines" might actually be tiny blood clots in her brain. Crazy!! Plus she got one mutation from each side of the family which increases the risk of complications by a great deal. It is pretty scary. She has previously had a blood clot in her leg and therefore she had to give herself daily injections while she was pregnant, now it turns out she should have been monitored a lot more because she was considered very high risk and if she decides to have any additional children she will have to take extra precautions, etc. because miscarriages are very frequent with this disorder.
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

an ectopic pregnancy, she had a tube out, before they tested her and found she had this.

When she next gets pregnant she has to go straight to hospital where they will start her on a course of heparin injections daily throughout her pregnancy. Hopefully this will stop her miscarrying again although there it's likely that she will have the baby at 36 weeks.

At least if you know you have it, you can avoid what my daughter went through. She also has CFS Fibro.

love
    Rosie
  5. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

That is so scary! Luckily my sister doesn't have any other health problems to deal with (except horrible asthma that showed up during pregnancy).

And if I turn out to also have the mutations, which is highly likely, it won't be horrible because I don't really have plans to ever have children.