General ? about rheumies.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by camelgirl, Feb 14, 2003.

1. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

Hi all, hope your day is going well. My question is whether I should pursue a diagnosis from a rheumy or not. It seems to me that the primary reason for doing so is to be eligible for SSD. I, however, am someone who already receives it for another medical condition. Is it worth it for me to put myself through more docs and tests and blah blah blah just for someone to tell me what I already know. I was shocked and amazed when I first started reading the boards to see how much I have in common with all of you. It's almost a little creepy, but reassuring at the same time. I'm pretty sure that I can get the emotional support I need right here, and I am so grateful for that. Every once in a while I need a reminder that I'm not crazy. Ha Ha. So, back to my original question: I am in the process of trying to get an appt. with a rheumy on the good dr. list. Should I pursue this, and do you feel that he might be able to help me.
    Thanx a million for any feedback. Many soft hugs, D
  2. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

it's worth a try if you are up to it. You never know what type of advice he/she might give you. Some doctors are much more up on the current trends --- gosh I sorry I'm in such a fog I can thinl of the right words....

I haven't been this foggy in awhile.
  3. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

just a bump, trying to get more feedback.
    thanx, D
  4. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

I guess that my question is whether a rheumy can actually help me or if he will just tell me what I already know which is that i just have to live with this dd and take each day as it comes.
    Thanks for any response. D
  5. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

Hi there. I too, am undiagnosed. I KNOW I have FM, I just haven't been told by a rheumy. My chiro seems to agree with me though, so I guess I have an unofficial dx. He gives me new exercises every week. He can't prescribe meds, but I don't know if I want any (besides an occasional pain med!). I had an appt with a rheumy that I had to cancel because of financial reasons. Later in the year I may make another appt. after my ins. deductible is met and I have the gas money to drive that far.

Sorry I'm not much help. As far as I'm concerned, if you arm yourself with enough info and research, you could probably keep the FM under control enough to function every day. I guess I shouldn't say that. Some people are worse than others and HAVE to see a doc for pain meds and sleeping meds, etc.

If you're already on disability for something else, why bother? If you've got a good doc and you get relief, then you'll just be getting a dx and not much else.

I'm sure other people will disagree with me, and that's ok. Just telling you what I'm going thru!! I may indeed end up going to the rheumy because sometimes the pain is unbearable. But for now, I'm giving my chiro the benefit of the doubt. He tells me that I may be able to overcome and control most of this DD.

Most of my pain comes from degenerative disk disease (dx)and arthritis (not dx).
  6. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

That's kind of what I figure. Why mess with another doc unless absolutely necessary, right? I guess I just want to feel validated by someone who may be able to help me explain this to my family/friends. Any time I complain of a symptom, their response is "well, I get that too". Grrrrrrrrr!! I just want them to understand me. I'm at the point now where I'm tired of hearing myself try to explain how I feel. The more explaining I do, the more I start to feel like a hypochondriac, so I've pretty much given up on defending myself and I just do what I can and try not to let the skeptics bother me.
    Thanks again, D