GENERAL ANAESTHETIC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NATTA, May 26, 2003.

1. NATTA

NATTA New Member

HI IM HAVING MEDICAL TREATMENT FOR SOMETHING UNRELATED TO MY ME AT THE MO, THIS COULD MEAN THAT I WILL HAVE TO HAVE GENERAL ANAESTHTIC. I RECENTLY READ SOMETHING IN ONE OF NEWSLETTERS FROM THE AYME, THAT SAID "GENERALLY SPEAKING `DAY CARE` IS NOT SUITABLE FOR PEOPLE WITH ME AS SOME TAKE TOO LONG TO RECOVER FROM THE EFFECTS OF AN ANAESTHETIC"
    I WONDERED WETHER ANY ONE HAS HAD GENERAL ANAESTHETIC, AND WHAT THEIR EXPERINCE WAS, AS IM NOW QUITE WORRIED.
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I had it for dental surgery and no problems at all. I woke up and said have you started yet ? I slept most of the day but other than that did fine. I have Fibr/CFS
    Good Luck
  3. NATTA

NATTA New Member

JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS, JUST HEARING THAT YOU HAD IT AND WAS FINE REALLY HELPS PUT MY MIND AT REST AT LEAST A LITTLE ANYWAY.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And I felt find and came right out of it. A lot depends on the skill of the doc and the "cocktail" they use. My surgery was about 2 1/2 hrs. A few years ago, I had surgery for about the same length of time and did fine too. I also did well when they knocked me out for my colonoscopy. In fact, I found anesthesia like a good night's sleep.

Love, Mikie
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Natta, hope all works out well for you, do come back and let us know how you did.

Welcome to the board..............

Shalom, Shirl
  6. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi Natta,

Are you talking about a short procedure or a long
    one? Prior to my FMS, I had 3+ hrs of back surgery
    and no trouble with anesthesia - although was very
    groggy. I would think that is to be expected.

I have had gallbladder surgery since having FMS
    and CFS probably, and I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago and
    I swear I haven't been the same since! Not pain wise,
    but tired wise. I have read that anesthesia can either
    make us better or worse. My pain was better for a few weeks but I was very exhausted and I don't feel
    I have ever been the same since the surgery.
    It really set me back. I have since been told or read
    that we really should be careful having surgery
    with general anesthesia unless it is lifethreatening.
    There was an article about anesthesia and CFS
    and it mentioned the anesthesia that would be
    best for us. I found out that I was given the
    one that was supposed to be ok. I also
    think I have been much more anxious since
    then. Can't be sure, but it seems to have happened
    about that time.

Go to google and type in
    fms and anesthesia. The fourth site that shows up
    has lots of info on this very topic.

I did have very short term for endoscopy
    with FMS. I did okay. That was for a very short
    procedure. I was just tired, that's all.

Good Luck.
    Lynn

7. NATTA

NATTA New Member

THANKS FOR REPLYING AND GIVING ME SITE TO VISIT, GLAD I JOINED THIS BOARD AS IVE BEEN FEELING VERY ISOLATED, THIS REALLY HELPS, THANKS AGAIN HOPE THAT YOU DO START TO FEEL BETTER, TASH
  8. sb439

sb439 New Member

Information Regarding Anesthesia
    The National CFIDS Foundation
    103 Aletha Rd, Needham Ma 02492
    (781) 449-3535 Fax (781) 449-8606

Recent research, funded by the NCF, that found ciguatera toxin being produced by a disease process in the body, points to the danger of using any anesthesia that uses the sodium channel. Ciguatoxin affects the sodium channel function at the cellular level. Some anesthesiologists have had success blocking the sodium channel during anesthesia for ME/CFIDS patients.

"I would recommend that potentially hepatotoxic anesthetic gases not be used including Halothane. Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome are known to have reactivated herpes group viruses which can produce mild and usually subclinical hepatitis. Hepatotoxic anesthetic gases may then provoke fulminate hepatitis. Finally, patients with this syndrome are known to have intracellular magnesium and potassium depletion by electron beam x-ray spectroscopy techniques. For this reason I would recommend the patient be given Micro-K using 10m Eq tablets, 1 tablet BID and magnesium sulfate 50% solution, 2cc, IM 24 hours prior to surgery. The intracellular magnesium and potassium depletion can result in untoward cardiac arrhythmias during anesthesia. For local anesthesia, I would recommend using Lidocaine sparingly and without epinephrine."
    -Paul R Cheney, M.D., Ph.D., 1992

"Suggestions on anesthesia include using Diprivan as the induction agent along with nitrous oxide and isoflurand (Furane) as the maintenance agent. The ones to avoid are histamine releasers that include sodium pentothal as well as a broad group of muscle relaxants in the Curare family, including Traceium and Mecacurium."

-Patrick L. Class, M.D. 1996