General FM pain vs. non-regular pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MandaJ, Dec 21, 2008.

1. MandaJ

MandaJ New Member

I fell on the ice a couple weeks ago and broke my collar bone, but didn't know I had broken it until this week when the pain was unbearable and I went to the doctor.

I have regular pain in my shoulders and receive trigger point injections in my shoulders every 4 to 6 weeks, so when my shoulder/neck hurt, I thought I needed my injections. It never even dawned on me that I may have broken something.

My friends and co-workers were amazed that I had waited two weeks to go to the doctor and I'm kinda getting tired of explaining that with FM, you have pain regularly and that sometimes it is bad enough that it can mimic and mask other maladies, such as a broken collar bone.

In some ways I'm thankful I have the opportunity to educate those around me about this horrible affliction, but then again, I really get sick of having to explain things and answer questions.
  2. Maliss

Maliss New Member

I love your story! So many times with FM people think that your imagining or exaggerating all the pain and that we lOVE to go to all kinds of ***hole doctors. Most of the time I get to the end of my rope and wait till my flares last months before I look to doctors to help me out. Your story is really the sad truth of how bad fibromyalgia pain really is. You never really no if some pains are harming your body or fibro. I think we will never be able to get throught to alot of people, mainly the ones who read our symptoms and think hey my back hurts and I get headaches I must have that too. Until they feel the pain theres more teaching to be done. Im like you its been 10 years and im getting so sick of explaining. I hope you get better and REST ALOT.