Generic extended release Ultram and insurance.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Aug 13, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have been having some breakthrough pain with my FM which my doctor and myself think would be helpful. I don't think I need a higher dosage but in my system at a steady dose.

Ultram has been wonderful for my pain.

My doctor wrote a script for this and it turns out my insurance company will not provide my copay. There is no generic ER Ultram My doctor is writing a letter to see if I can get it covered.

Otherwise it is something like $350, which I can't afford.

I am keeping my fingers crossed because the same thing happened with my Provigil but it was covered after my doctor wrote a letter.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone get approved by your insurance?

I would appreciate hearing people's response to the ER compared to the regular Ultram/Tramadol.

Thanks in advance.

2. debilyn

debilyn New Member

My insurance company denied providing the Ultram ER as well. I didn't fight it, though. I will be interested to know what the outcome is for you.

Instead of the Ultram ER, my pain management doc (referred to him by my rheumy who dx FM in 2006) put me on the regular Ultram, 100 mgs, 2X a day as well as a small amount of extended release narcotic pain medication.

He said that he was a bit leary of the Ultram ER anyway because, in his experience, it has caused seizures rather unexpectedly in several people as well as during clinical studies. I was, at first, scared of the narcotic medication, but it has helped so much to give me back some of my life; I can work, thank God.

We talked extensively about the difference between dependency and addiction. And he explained the process of weaning off so as not to have withdrawal effects (which one might experience from discontinuing many medications not only a narcotic).

So I take the non-extended release Ultram--up to 400 mg a day. And fill the gaps with the other med that is a $5 copay each month. I never thought I'd take anything stronger than Ultram, and I hope that it won't be forever. But right now I need to work while I still can, and this combo allows me to do just that.

Everyone is different, and even doctors have different views on medications. This is my personal experience (or non-experience) with Ultram ER =]