generic tramadol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by asobh, Jul 9, 2003.

1. asobh

asobh New Member

Hi everyone, I would like to know if anyone who is taking Ultram regularly for pain relief has tried the generic version. I have been taking Ultram for 5 years and it has worked quite well. I have not increased my dosage with time, and take less when I feel better (e.g. am working out regularly), and have had no side effects. However, this month is the second time I've tried the generic version ($7.00 vs 54.00) and although I usually don't care whether or not a drug is generic, I'm almost doubling my dosage (and it's not psychological). In other words, my pain is remaining much stronger. A friend in graduate school in pharmacy has acknowleged that this is quite likely to occur, as a drug that goes off patent is 'copied' by ingrediant, but not exactly the same amounts. anyway, I'd like to hear your comments. Thanks.
    a. sobh
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Sobh, welcome to the board. Your friend is correct, some generics are copies, and they do use different ingredients.

It is probably not you but the meds.

I take Xanax, and the generic brands are much weaker that the original. I would have to take twice as much.

Others that take your med will be answering you also. I don't take anything except the Xanax so can't relate to Ultram.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl