Generic Valcyte?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CFIDSHope, May 19, 2009.

1. CFIDSHope

CFIDSHope New Member

Hi Everyone,

I recently saw that generic valcyte being sold in Canada. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am a patient of Dr. Lerner's. I have seen him twice. He prescribed a combination of valcyte and vatrex for me which I cannot have filled because of the cost. I was able to sign up for Part D in December, but the drugs (especially valcyte) are still very expensive.

Any information will be appreciated.

2. gasolo

gasolo New Member

Hi Maxine,

Valcyte is a new drug and almost certainly would be covered under its patent.
    Be careful since a generic form may be a scam.

3. outofstep

outofstep Member

Roche has a patient assistance program for Valcyte-have you checked to see if you qualify?
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi. i answered this post on the yahoo groups site. canadian company apotex sells generic valtrex but the only place you can get generic valcyte is india (made by cipla).

your best bet is to apply for the roche patient assistance program.

good luck
  5. mome44

mome44 New Member

Im a new patient of DR. lerners. Im on FAmvir instead of Valtrex. I have not started the valcyte yet. I reallly need hope and looking for positve results from Dr. Lerners patients or patients that are being treated with Antivirals. Im sorry I live in michigan and dont know about the generic valcyte.
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

chrissy on this board has improved under dr. lerner's care. stovetop, who doesn't come here anymore, got better. you may also want to check out dr. lerner's website, where there are patient testimonials.

i have scoured the internet for success stories and have found a few but i do not have links. one fellow said that after 5 years of antivirals, he went from a # 1 on dr. lerner's scale to a #6. another patient, robert kessler, was cured with valcyte.

you can also check out the HHV6 foundation message boards where there are more success stories.

i know what it's like to need's the only thing that has kept me going.

best of luck

ps..i see dr. lerner too

[This Message was Edited on 05/20/2009]
  7. emmally

emmally New Member

To the one who posted that valcyte is too expensive. I dont know all the qualifications but I applied and got one year of valcyte for free. I have been on it for a year allready. I also have prescription coverage. I believe it is based on your income (have to show tax info) and other stuff...not sure...just happy that I get it free now since it looks like I wont be coming off it soon and cant work yet...If you go to Roches website and follow the patient assistant prompts, that it how I applied. Of course you have to have a doctor prescribing it for you and all that stuff.....There are tons of other drugs that you can get for free if you dont have prescription coverage.....I would look into valtrex manuf too to see if you can get it free.....
  8. CFIDSHope

CFIDSHope New Member

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all of you who responded about my question concerning generic valcyte. If I understand the Canadian pharmacy web sites, there is a generic that you can order online and I believe it is made in India. There is a major legal battle going on over it since Roche's patent has not expired. And yes, I am concerned about it being some kind of a scam.

I would love to be able to get the valcyte from Roche's patient program, but when I visited the site in the past, I was not able to ever apply there for assistance. I cannot remember exactly why. I should qualify financially since I am only living on Social Security Disability. I called them a couple of times but only got recorded messages about how they didn't provide this drug to patients except if they had AIDS or a heart transplant. I will try those avenues again to see if something has changed.

9. CFIDSHope

CFIDSHope New Member

Thanks for your posting about being able to get valcyte for free. I went to the Roche patient assistance page, but didn't see any place to click for an application. Is that the way that you did it? I did see some phone numbers which I called. The phone call only led me to going around and around in recorded messages. If you can, please let me know about the application.

10. wldhrt

wldhrt New Member

I found a phone number that I used when I applied for the Roche assistance progrm. The number is 1-866-247-5084. I remember it being very easy to qualify for; you just need your last 1040 form and\or proof of income and to fill out a form. I thought I would be turned down as I have some funds in the bank and disability income, along with Part D medicare, but they approved me immediately. Once approved, they would even call me once a month to verify that it was time for a refill!
    Good luck, hope this was helpful.