Generic Venflaxine vs Effexor XR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Apr 10, 2007.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have been taking the generic brand for 2 months now cause it is so much cheaper(started effexor last April), and I don't think it is working as well.

I sort of feel like when I first started in, with the weird taste in my mouth, headache and tired, foggy.

Could it just be a coincidence or anyone else done the switch and noticed any difference.

Thanks,
    Sue in Ontario
  2. I took the generic for awhile after taking the reg. effexor xr , I didn't notice a difference. I don't take it anymmore though. However I have taken generics for some meds and get side effects, such as a BAD headache etc. ck. with your dr. or pharmacist.
  3. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

I really don't have the answer to this, all I know is when I was on Effexor, I didn't have any issues with it. it wasn't until I stopped its use, now that was horrible what I went through :( I wish you the best.
  4. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

My shrink does not prescribe the generic. He says it is not absorbed as well and his patients would forget doses, and it causes a lot more gastrointestinal issues.
  5. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thanks for the input.

I still don't feel quite right like I did on the name brand. Maybe it is my imagination, I don't know.

I'm going to see my dr next month and see if she will give me some samples.

The worst thing is the loud ear ringing! I woke up the other night thinking I was hearing crickets!

Sue in Ontario
  6. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I have been on Effexor - 75mg. 2 x day. for 8 yrs for fms/pain.

I changed to the generic 2 mos ago and I have not noticed a difference - except for price. Yabadaba on that..

This is Effexor.... NOT effexor XR.

The pharmacy gave me the XR one time by accident. It is a capsule and I didn't ask, duh, just thought they changed it. I took it and I thought I was "going to go out of my mind". It was WAY diff.for me. Made me way looney!
    Gin