generic verses - "stand up for yourself" reply

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibolady, Sep 1, 2002.

1. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i read somewhere a generic version can have up to 25% less equivalent drug than the brand name and still be passed by the standards (gov?) this is just my memory, it may have been 20%, but i was shocked.

last week i received tramadol 50mg. usually i take ultram 50 mg. and can successfully half the ultram and get some relief. well, the tramadol i have to take the whole 50mg. to get the same relief. wonder what the other inert incredient is? found this interesting. next time i am going to make sure the script is for the ultram. i didn't even look because i have been taking this drug for years.

we use a mail-in rx through my husband's insurance. my doctor writes my scripts for 5 refills and the rx will send out a 3 month suppply. this makes it so much easier and less stressful, not to have to worry about my meds every month. going to the local pharmacy was getting to be such a pain, just like your stories. plus, it saves a ton of money like klutzo stated. when you are on a lot of rx's, the mail order companies can save you a lot of $$.
    i didn't know there were ones you could use and not be affliated through your insurance company, that is nice to know because you never know when you could be out on insurance.

warm regards, fibolady

p.s. after 9 days i think i will be able to do something today! yesterday i felt a little better and this morning feeling better after much improved sleep last few days. still..... tired...wears you out just being in a flare for so long!

[This Message was Edited on 09/02/2002]
  2. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i read somewhere a generic version can have up to 25% less equivalent drug than the brand name and still be passed by the standards (gov?) this is just my memory, it may have been 20%, but i was shocked.

last week i received tramadol 50mg. usually i take ultram 50 mg. and can successfully half the ultram and get some relief. well, the tramadol i have to take the whole 50mg. to get the same relief. wonder what the other inert incredient is? found this interesting. next time i am going to make sure the script is for the ultram. i didn't even look because i have been taking this drug for years.

we use a mail-in rx through my husband's insurance. my doctor writes my scripts for 5 refills and the rx will send out a 3 month suppply. this makes it so much easier and less stressful, not to have to worry about my meds every month. going to the local pharmacy was getting to be such a pain, just like your stories. plus, it saves a ton of money like klutzo stated. when you are on a lot of rx's, the mail order companies can save you a lot of $$.
    i didn't know there were ones you could use and not be affliated through your insurance company, that is nice to know because you never know when you could be out on insurance.

warm regards, fibolady

p.s. after 9 days i think i will be able to do something today! yesterday i felt a little better and this morning feeling better after much improved sleep last few days. still..... tired...wears you out just being in a flare for so long!

[This Message was Edited on 09/02/2002]
  3. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Thanks for the advice abt the mail order companies...my Lupron shots cost me over $2,500. last year (5 months). My ins. company at the time wouldn't pay for it cause it was a preexisting condition. Hopefully others will benefit from your advice & the online site.

So glad you're feeling better today! Don't overdo like I tend to do on my good days...lol Take care. Michele