Generic Zoloft

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nevy4803, Nov 7, 2006.

1. nevy4803

nevy4803 New Member

I've been on Zoloft for about 12 years. Recently it went generic and my pharmacy filled my script with generic pills. That was about 5 weeks ago and for the past 3-4 weeks I've not been sleeping and I am very emotional. I have had chest pain and anxiety. I had a stess test and echo and my heart is ok, but I now think it may be the generic Zoloft. Has anyone else had a problem with generic Zoloft or generics in general? I had my doc to write me a new script and had to pay out of pocket for it.
    Thanks
    nevy4803
  2. nevy4803

nevy4803 New Member

What kind of symptoms did he have? Is there a way to test the pills to see how much actual medication is in them?
    Thanks for your reply
    nevy4803
  3. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

Hi nevy, I recently had to switch too, but all I've noticed is that my generic zoloft dissolves faster, so I have to swallow quicker otherwise it's kind of gross. They should be the same strength though as the name brand. I'm at least giving generic a try to save a little money. Susi-di
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have noticed that the generics that come from Walgreens are not as good as the ones we get from Kroger Pharmacy, so it could be the manufacturer of the generic that is at fault and not that it is just generic.

Take care,
    Faye
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I had that happen to me w/ generic Wellbutrin. the pharmacy dind't even tell me they'd switched, so I felt like crap for 3 days before I noticed the different pills.

I was able to get the namebrand covered when my shrink filled out a special form explaining why I couldn't use the generic. it was called special use form, then adverse effects form to make us jump through more hoops, but at least its doable.

You did mention you've been on it 12 yrs. I didn't think any drug would keep working for that long. A.d.'s and other psychotropic drugs do tend to wearr out and need replacement. That's definitely happening to me w/ Wellbutrin this year, I've been on it 8 yrs and have worn it out.

Jeanne
  6. donnadb

donnadb New Member

I had a complete and total meltdown after 2 weeks of being on generic zoloft. Like you, have taken it for almost 10 years and it works great for me! My last refill (which was for 3 months because I HAVE to use this crappy mail order pharmacy) they sent generic. Now, I had to get a new script and pay out of pocket for the next 3 months because insurance said they have already paid for the 90 day script of generics! The REAL ones are $95 a month but "you gotta do what you gotta do!" I cannot survive the holidays with the REAL ones!

PS: I've NEVER had a problem with any other generic medication!!
  7. joyfully

joyfully New Member

When your doctor writes out the prescription, he must check "brand name only". If the prescription pad doesn't have this option on it, then he needs to write out these words or fill as written.

Otherwise, the pharmacy WILL fill your prescription with the generic. Some people also complain about stomach upset from the generic too.

If your ins. doesn't want to cover the brand name, call them or your insurance co. and see if you can negotiate paying the difference in price. Actually, call the pharmacy first and see what their policy is regarding your particular insurance. I don't trust insurace companies to give you all the facts.

No, your insurance will not allow you to return the other generic medication or refill with the brand name before the regular renewal date. You are just stuck with the generic until then. I know it isn't fair; I had something similar happen with one of my arthritis medications. What really irks me is that they don't give you any warning---you just get this different looking pills with a note explaining that it is now a generic---AND 90 DAYS WORTH!

UGH!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2006]
  8. nevy4803

nevy4803 New Member

I'm happy to say that my MD was able to get me straightened up. I had to pay out of pocket for my first bottle, but she wrote "brand necessry" on my prescription and the pharmacy filled it with brand. I'm feeling so much better, I know it was the generic. Hang in there with the insurance people. Good Luck. nevy4803