Genetic predisposition?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by desertlily, Jan 30, 2003.

1. desertlily

desertlily New Member

Hey, I have a question for everyone out there, is there anyone else in your family that has CFIDS, FM or both?

It seems to run in my family (an aunt, an uncle, cousins and possibly my dad before he died - all these relatives are closely related on my dad's side). So, I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Thanks, desertlily
  2. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

My mom has FMS, CTS, and osteoarthritis. I too, have all three of these diseases, plus degenerative disc disease. So, yes, I would say your genes have something to do with it. The one big difference between me and Mom is that she has an underactive thyroid and I have an overactive thyroid (although my tests all came back normal, I think they're wrong!).

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My Mom had FMS, I have FMS and CFIDS, and both my daughters have FMS.

Love, Mikie
  4. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

but the rest of my family is perfectly healthy (I hope I don't start a trend)
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I have an identical twin sister who does not have FMS! We have been participating in a Twin Study out of the University of Washington. They like to study identical twins where one has the illness and the other doesn't to see what the exact differences are. We grew up together, ate the same food, etc. etc. and I have it and she doesn't. Go figure......

Annette2
  6. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I do think that it does. Nobody in my family thinks so. I'm convinced that my mother had it, CFS and FMS. I also think that my sister has it, not really bad, but has FMS. She doesn't think so, but I do. My youngest son has always needed a TON of sleep. He's complained of 'growing pains' for years & refuses at this point to go to a doctor for it. I don't know of the rest of my siblings ailments. I have four brothers. I do know that we all have eczema, rashes, I hear of numerous aches and pains here & there, foot pain. Nobody would want to ever acknowledge that they possibly could have what they always thought I was a hypochondriac about. Oh well, whatever works for them! dolsgirl
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

My Grandmother, my Mom, myself, and my daughter all have/had FMS. Of course, back when my Grandmother was alive they didn't call it FMS. But just remembering the things she use to say about how she felt I am positive that is what she had. My Mom also wasn't "officially" diagnosed with FMS, I think they called it neurolgia or fibrocitis (I don't think that's the correct spelling). Anyway, yes I believe it is definitely genetic.

Dara
  8. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Desertlily:
    My dad, brother, and I have fms. My dad's is severe with other complications not related. He denies he has it cause he was told by a rheumy that it was a woman's disease. My brother has it, but is able to work. He has alot of pain too. I have a severe, malignant (My rheumy's words, not mine) form of fms that is getting worse and nothing helps.
    Maybe there is something genetic to all this. Is anyone listening in research????
    sue