Genetic transference of FMS/CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Valentina, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Valentina

Valentina New Member

Hi Everyone!

Do any of you know if FMS/CFS is passed on genetically? Does anyone know where I can get some hard scientific facts on this subject? I am paranoid that if I decide to have children, they will have a genetic predisposition towards this disease.

Thanks and gentle hugs,
    Valentina
    [This Message was Edited on 09/23/2003]
  2. Frackie11382

Frackie11382 New Member

Hi there!

I don't know of any studies thus far that prove or disprove genetic transference, however, I think it is from personal experience. I have FM/CFS and my mother has it...and her mother has it. And I think my grandfather's mother (aka great-grandmother) has it as well. She hasn't been dx'd though. Hope this helps.

Friends in Fibro,

~~Tara~~
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are not willing to commit to a genetic predisposition yet, but many believe there is one. So far, there is no way to prove our illnesses are genetic in nature. The fact that they tend to run in families and that women are involved far more than men are some evidence to support the genetic theory, but again, there is no proof. It will not be until genetic profiles from people with our illnesses are compared with the human genome mapping that any defecive genes will emerge.

My Mother, and probably her Mother, has FMS, I have FMS and CFIDS, and both my daughters have FMS and associated conditions. I also have two cousins on Mom's side of the family with similar problems.

I do believe they are genetic in nature.

Love, Mikie
  4. jacqui_k

jacqui_k New Member

As everyone has stated there seems to be no scientific proof that it is genetic, but I guess that's hardly surprising when we still have doctors who refuse to even recognise fm as a ligit illness.

All I can tell you is of my own experiances, I have fm , two aunts of mine have it, my mother and another aunt appear to have it, but are in denial, I did read somewhere on the net (sorry I can't remember where),that some doctors believe that if you have a parent or sibling with fm your chances are 50%, that you will get it, but still it hasn't been proven.

In my experiance Ican only say that the fact that my aunts have fm, made me more aware of my own condition, a lot sooner than if I'd never heard of it.Thus making treatment easier , as it was dd early on.My proffessor thinks this has played asignificant part in my treatment (early detection).

As to having children, that is a decission that only you can make, I have 6 and it would have taken more than fm to disuade me against having them, but that is just my opinion.

Good luck,
    Jacqui
  5. Valentina

Valentina New Member

Thanks for your responses!

I am the only one in my family who has FMS/CFS (as far as I know). I realize there are no guarantees (even if hard scientific data does exist on a subject), but I really feel like I'm in the dark on this one. I'm going to keep looking for information. The idea that my future children could get this disease from me is terrifying! On the positive side, at least they would have a parent who knows how to identify the symptoms early on and will get help for them if they are unlucky enough to get this DD. The stress of this illness is sometimes more than I can bear...now I have to worry about children I don't even have yet! It's a relevant issue for me - I plan to start having kids in the next 2 years (I'll be 30 in October).

Gentle hugs,
    Valentina
  6. angeldust

angeldust New Member

My dad had CFS, my brother had CFS and I have CFS - its in our genes!
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Even if only one person has it. Genetic illnesses can run in families, but they can also only affect one of the children. Something to do with both parents having recessive genes.

Love, Mikie
  8. jrsinc

jrsinc New Member

I now realize I've had FM most of my life - only "surfaced" after major surgery. My Mom passed away 2 years ago, but I'm now convinced she had it as well. She had too many symptoms, but I had never heard of FM until I was diagnosed. But, I was raised to eat like she was raised to eat and she ate like she was raised to eat. She had candida BAD, just as I do. I'm beginning to believe this is invironmental and not necessarily genetic. Just my take for what it's worth....

Don't deny yourself the joy of children because of this fear...

Hugs and warm fuzzies,
    jrsinc
  9. Renae 2

Renae 2 New Member

that people in the same families are exposed to the same viruses, bacteria, etc. because they are together in the same home and public locations to catch these things.... and because of family genetics, their bodies react similarly.

[ advertisement ]