Genetics & Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kmelodyg, Mar 20, 2003.

1. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I was wondering if any of you have relatives that also have FMS/CFS? My mother and my cousin (on my mother's side) have this horrible FMS as well as me. I haven't been able to find much research done on this. Anyone else?

Kathryn
  2. shell

shell New Member

My Mother has been addicted to pain meds (abuses them) for the last 20 years or so, before that it was real drugs. She has a multiple # of mental problems and has said that she has had a multiple # of diseases including FM at one point. She has always had back pain and we never knew when to believe her but makes me wonder if indeed she does have this now that I have come down so bad with it. My grandma had a late onset (60) with it as well as arthritis. Two of my sisters are complaining of back pain at 15 and 18, as well as being constantly sick. I definitely think we have a bad gene. People related to me seem to be the only people I know that have FM/ CFS. I didn't recognize it in my family until I got it myself though. Take care!
  3. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I come from a "very large" family and my one Aunt and I both have this that came after injuries. I also have two Aunts that also had back/neck injuries that have never healed from them and they fight the pain and everything that we do so in my opinion I think they also think that they have it also. I don't know that it is genetic but my opinion on it is i think, injury and/or stress are great contributers to this DD.
    Just my thought on it all.
    Take care,
    Joannie
  4. fallingapart

fallingapart New Member

My Auntie Gail has FM and RA since her 30s. She has been on prednisone for that long too.She still has a very hard time with pain,and easily gets sick with pnemonia.:(and she also has hypothyroidism as well as my mom, and me.
  5. bejo

bejo New Member

As far as I know I don't have any relatives with either.I guess I want to keep it all for myself.LOLOL
    bejo
  6. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hello Kathryn,
    Yes, my first cousin has fibro and my Mom was diagnosed with EBV. I am hoping my daughter doesn't get it.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This question comes up here from time to time. You may want to do a search to bring up the past posts on this.

Love, Mikie
  8. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Although I believe that can show itself after trauma, the weakness is there since birth. I'm pretty sure my mother and one aunt had it even though not dx and now it's hit both me and my daughter after a back injury. I have 2 boys in early 20s, one showing signs of sleep disorders and headaches so I'm praying it doesn't get him. We are also keeping close watch on one of my granddaughters who is only 10 but showing signs of restless leg syndrome.

Awareness is key in getting a jump on those sleep disorders before they cause many lost hours of sleep which in turn can cause injuries which in turn can cause this DD!
    As far as research on the matter, I've read some but darn if I can remember where...maybe Davin Starlanyl's book.

Peace and blessings to you all.

9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

My grandfather and his two sons (my uncles) had what was called them; 'Fibrositis', thats many years ago, and there was no help for them. They sent them home and told them to take asprin for the pain, and use a heating pad, and a strong rub on the affected parts that hurt. I remeber rubbing my grandfather's back for him when I was a small child.

They were all big strong men, my grandfather was 6'3" and weighed 220 pounds, my uncles were big men too.

They were Dairy men and worked hard everyday of their lives. That was before milk machines, and additives in the animal food. Even the milk was bottled by hand in glass, and delivered in heavy wooden milk crates that held 24 quarts of milk! they would handle these like they were made of silk paper, but when they got older they all had they had painful bodys that nothing seemed to help. It was like a mystery illness.

All three of them lived to their eighties, but always complained about the pain in their backs, legs, arms, shoulders, and feet. I recall all three of them with horrific headaches too.

No one else in my family had this, not my MOther or Father, my aunt (from the same side of the family), not my three children or anyone else I can remember. I would have known, we were a very close family.

Then I came down with this after a bout with pneumonia.

Shalom,Shirl

10. Myth

Myth New Member

Hello,
    On my Dad's side there are 15 aunts and uncles. My dad and one Aunt have FMS. One has MS, and one has Lupus.
    On my Mom's side I have an Aunt with CFS, and basically all of them have arthritis.
    As far as I can tell I get my hypermobility from my Mom's side and the FMS from my Dad. Oddly enough my brother has neither and is quite healthy- not even allergies. Although I have two younger brothers as well, so far they just have allergies- and hopefully that will be it.
    I am told there is a great chance that I will pass on my hypermobility on to my children if I have any- they might even have hypermobility syndrome as I do. I was also told there is a 25 % chance of any child I may have of developing FMS some time in their lives. Who knows though, FMS is not genetic just hereditary.