Genital herpes.. Madwolf do you know or anyone else???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by judywhit, Mar 30, 2003.

1. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I have heard read on this board about the HH-6 virus that is herpes virus, am I correct. Well my hubby and I in our younger days before we wed were premiscious and brought Genital herpes into our marriage. We have been married for 28 years and have always been faithful to each other but we still on occassion get a break out. Yuk!!!!
    So, question is does this mean I should get tested for anti-viral HH-6? perhaps this DD for me is caused by the herpes?? I do not understand the anti-viral thing. I do know that my hubby is experiencing some fms symptoms too.
    Well, now I have laid out my dirty laundry to everyone. I hope you still like me. (im just kidding!!)
    Judy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/30/2003]
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Judi, a lot of us were promiscuous in our younger days, I certainly was, I never did get anything in those days but did get herpes in a rape about 3 yrs ago, interesting but that was the start of my downfall. My neck begun to ache constantly right after that, I got the herpes, had a terrible outbreak the first one, got hep vaccines along with various other drugs to prevent infections from setting in, don't know if it is coincidence or what but the timing has made me suspicious, my neck was just a killer for a couple yrs before my fms.

I married my wonderful hubby about yr & half ago and he has not gotten it, thank God. He never was promiscuous, he does have a heart condition that is very bad tho, congestive heart failure, if he gets it I would really feel awful as my opinion is that these viruses are more scary than a lot of us know.

Hope that helps.
    Jaci
  3. IngaDinga

IngaDinga New Member

Here is some info I found on HHV6. It is a Herpes virus but I believe it is not spread only through sexual contact. It is responsible for Roseola in children. If I am correct then it is reactivation that is giving some of us trouble. I have tested positive for it along with Mycoplasma Fermentans, C. Pneumoniae , Babesia and Lyme.

HHV-6

Twenty years after the discovery of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) a new herpes virus was reported by Salahuddin and his associates (1). This new virus was isolated from Patients with AIDS and other lymphoproliferative disorders and was eventually named as human herpesvirus type-6 (HHV-6). HHV-6 is the smallest of herpesviruses (170 kb) and has been classified as beta-herpesvirus. HHV-6 has been reisolated by many laboratories and a consensus conference has classified them into subgroups A and B. The subgrouping is based on restriction endonuclease sites, and biological and immunological characteristics (2,3). Antibody to HHV-6 and therefore, possible exposure/infection is detected in <80% individuals in the Western world. (4,5). From all indication it appears that the infection by HHV-6 takes place very early in life after the acute phase the virus becomes dormant to be activated at a later time. HHV-6 can be reactivated by the usual factors e.g., immunological and environmental (6).

HHV-6 is exclusive T-cell tropic, induces and upregulates CD4 receptors and cytokine expression, enhances the killing of cells infected with other lytic viruses such as HIV-1 (4,5,9,10,15-21). There is evidence for the association of HHV-6 with at least three lymphoproliferative diseases; causative agent for childhood disease Roseola (Exanthem subitem) (7), febrile illness in young children (8), and EBV- and CMV- negative cases of mononucleosis in young adults(4,5). This is an important pathogen that can initiate pathologies mentioned before, it may also be a cofactor in several other diseases such as AIDS, cervical carcinoma, and oral carcinoma (9,13,14). HHV-6 is reactivated in infectious diseases, proliferative disorders, and immune deficiencies (4,5,8-12).

A variety of pathogens either co-infect the same cell or are present in the same environment. Type and level of viral antigens for example and the duration of their presence in that milieu can be important factors that my give rise to a particular disease. Whereas HHV-6 and HIV-1 may give rise to AIDS-like disease, HHV-6 in conjunction with HPV may result in malignancy of the cervix. HHV-6 becomes latent after the initial infection and can be reactivated by a variety of viruses and vice versa. Interaction between the viruses may take place after the reactivation of these agents.

For information on testing please see our Clinical Laboratory.

[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2003]
  4. IngaDinga

IngaDinga New Member

Herpes Virus Strain Identified as a Trigger in Multiple Sclerosis

A strain of reactivated herpes virus may be associated with multiple sclerosis (MS), an autoimmune disorder in which the body attacks its own tissues. Results of a study conducted by scientists at the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) in Bethesda, Maryland, add to mounting evidence of the role of viral triggers in MS and may serve as the cornerstone for clinical trials using antiherpetic agents as a treatment. This is the first published large-scale study suggesting an association of a human herpes virus in the disease process of MS.

In the study, more than 70 percent of patients with the relapsing-remitting form of MS showed an increased immune response to human herpes virus-6 (HHV-6) and approximately 35 percent of all MS patients studied had detectable levels of active HHV-6 in their serum. Scientists believe that there may be a point in time during the progression of MS when the virus, which lies dormant in the body for years, reactivates,accounting for its presence in a subset of MS patients. The study appears in the December 1997 issue of Nature Medicine.[1]

"We expect that currently available antiviral treatments--for example, acyclovir--might one day be applied successfully to MS," said Steven Jacobson, Ph.D., Chief of the NINDS Viral Immunology Section and the study's principal investigator. "We've suspected a possible role for a virus in MS for quite some time, and these results certainly point to this particular virus. But we need to know more before we move to the clinical trial stage."

As many as 350,000 Americans are affected by MS, which is most often diagnosed in patients between the ages of 20 and 40 and is characterized by muscle weakness, visual disturbances, and a variety of other neurological impairments. The array and severity of symptoms varies widely from patient to patient and women are more likely to be affected than men. The most common form of MS is the relapsing-remitting type. In this type of MS, new symptoms appear or existing ones become more severe, followed by periods of partial or total recovery. These flare-ups of new or intensified symptoms last for variable amounts of time. A second form of MS is a chronic and progressive one in which symptoms steadily worsen. Either form can lead to disability and paralysis.

"We've thought for a long time that genetics, an autoimmune factor, or something in the environment--like a virus--might cause MS," says Dr. Jacobson. "One can certainly make the case for a combination of these factors, namely that a small group of individuals may be genetically susceptible to a virus. If the HHV-6 virus is really behind MS, then we also need to know why infection with such a common virus causes disease in so few people."

HHV-6 is relatively new to scientists and is known to cause a common childhood illness, roseola. HHV-6 is known to be present in 90 percent of the adult American population as a result of infection during the first few years of life.

Scientists believe that the reactivation of HHV-6 virus may be associated with the breakdown of the protective covering of nerves, called myelin. Reactivation is characteristic of herpes viruses.

In the study, investigators screened the serum of 102 individuals, 36 of whom had MS. Of the 22 individuals with the relapsing-remitting form of MS, 73 percent had an increase in immune response to an early antigen of HHV-6, compared to only 18 percent of those participants who served as normal volunteers. In addition, the scientists detected HHV-6 DNA in the serum (a marker of active virus infection) of 15 of 50 individuals with MS. All 47 individuals without MS tested negative for the presence of active HHV-6 viral infection.

Additional testing for the presence of HHV-6 virus in larger numbers of MS patients--and in patients with other autoimmune disorders--is under way.
  5. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Hi Judy here is some info for you. I have all three types :-(

Best wishes, LL

genital herpes (HSV-2)
    oral herpes (HSV-1),

Here's What is Known About HHV-6

HHV-6 is able to infect and kill natural killer cells. Lusso, Paolo et al.; "Infection of Natural Killer Cells by Human Herpesvirus 6"; Nature 349:533, February 7, 1991.

HHV-6 is able to infect and kill CD4 (T4) cells. Lusso, P. et al.; "Productive Infection of CD4-Positive and CD8-Positive Mature Human T Cell Populations and Clones by Human Herpesvirus 6"; Journal of Immunology 147(2):685, July 15, 1991.

HHV-6 can cause other immune system cells (like CD8 cells) to express the CD4 cell surface antigen. Lusso, P. et al; "Induction of CD4 and Susceptibility to HIV-1 Infection in Human CD98-Positive T Lymphocytes by Human Herpesvirus 6"; Nature 349:533, February 7, 1991.
    HHV-6 can infect a wide variety of organ tissues (besides immune system cells), including brain, spinal cord, lung, lymph node, heart, bone marrow, liver, kidney, spleen, tonsil, skeletal muscle, adrenal glands, pancreas, and thyroid. Knox, K.K. and D.R. Carrigan; "Disseminated Active HHV-6 Infections in Patients With AIDS"; The Lancet 343:577, March 5, 1994.

HHV-6 has been found to be closely associated with Kaposi's sarcoma, and suggested as a possible causitive agent of this "AIDS"-related cancer. Bovenzi, P. et al.; "Human Herpesvirus 6 (Variant A) in Kaposi's Sarcoma"; The Lancet 341:1288, May 15, 1993.

HHV-6 has been associated with thrombocytopenia, a blood clotting disorder common in "AIDS" patients. Kitamura, K. et al.; "Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura After Human Herpesvirus 6 Infection"; The Lancet 344:830, September 17, 1994.

HHV-6 appears to cause graft-versus-host disease, an immune disorder that develops after transplant surgery (particularly after bone marrow transplantation). Cone, R.W. et al.; "Human Herpesvirus 6 in Lung Tissue From Patients With Pneumonitis After Bone Marrow Transplantation"; New England Journal of Medicine 329:156, July 15, 1993.

HHV-6 can infect other species; most notably, it has been found in 100 percent of some populations of African green monkeys. Higashi, K. et al.; "Presence of Antibody to HHV-6 In Monkeys"; J. Gen. Virol. 70:3171, 1989.

HHV-6 can cause fatal, disseminated infections. Knox and Carrigan, op cit.

HHV-6 can cause fatal pneumonitis (lung infection). R.W. Cone, op cit.

HHV-6 can cause fatal liver failure. Asano, Y. et al.; "Fatal Fulminate Hepatitis in an Infant With Human Herpesvirus-6 Infection"; The Lancet April 7, 1990.

HHV-6 can cause hepatitis, a sometimes-fatal liver infection. Y. Asano et al., ibid.

HHV-6 is associated with the development of brain lesions. Buchwald, D. et al.; "A Chronic, 'Postinfectious' Fatigue Syndrome Associated With Benign Lymphoproliferation, B-Cell Proliferation, and Active Replication of Human Herpesvirus-6"; Journal of Clinical Immunology 10:335, 1990.
    HHV-6 is associated with a particular type of skin rash, or dermatitis, that occurs frequently following bone marrow transplantation. Michel, D. et al.; "Human Herpesvirus 6 DNA in Exanthematous Skin in BMT Patient"; The Lancet 344:686, September 3, 1994.

HHV-6 is spread through saliva. Levy, J. et al.;"Frequent Isolation of HHV-6 From Saliva and High Seroprevalence of the Virus in the Population"; The Lancet, May 5, 1990.

HHV-6 has been found to be associated with Hodgkin's lymphoma, acute lymphocytic leukemia, African Burkitts lymphoma, and sarcoidosis, as well as "AIDS" and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Lusso, P. et al.; "In Vitro Cellular Tropism of Human B-Lymphotropic Virus(Human Herpesvirus-6)"; Journal of Experimental Medicine 167:1659, May 1988.

The two variants of HHV-6, Variant A and Variant B, appear to cause very different symptoms. Variant B seems to be associated with mild, childhood infection and disease; Variant A is found in immunocompromised adults with illnesses like "AIDS," cancer, and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Dewhurst, S.W. et al.; "Human Herpesvirus-6 (HHV-6) Variant B Accounts for the Majority of Symptomatic Primary HHV-6 infections in a Population of U.S. Infants"; Journal of Clinical Microbiology, February 1993.

HHV-6's growth is s toppe d by the experimental drug Ampligen. Ablashi, D.V. et al.; Ampligen Inhibits In Vitro Replication of HHV-6"; Abstract from CFS conference, Albany, NY, October
    2-4, 1992.

When HHV-6's growth is stopped by the experimental drug Ampligen in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients, their symptoms resolve. (In a trial published in 1987, the same appeared to be true for "AIDS" patients treated with Ampligen.) Strayer, D.R. et al.; "A Controlled Clinical Trial With a Specifically Configured RNA Drug, Poly(I):poly(C12U), in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome";Clinical Infectious Diseases, January 1994.

HHV-6 has been suggested as a "cofactor" in the development of "AIDS." P. Lusso and R.C. Gallo; "Human Herpesvirus 6 in AIDS"; The Lancet 343:555, March 5, 1994.

by Neenyah Ostrom
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brought to you by the Global Reproductive Health Forum Issues at Harvard University in Boston, Massachusetts: Exploring the Intersection of Health, Rights, and Gender Issues.

6. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Re: your husband
    Some of the research I have read suggest that HSV1(oral) and HSV2(genital) can produce
    long term local pain - neuralgia in 50% of patients over 60 years old

LL
  7. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Genital herpes is not that uncommon anymore...so you're not alone (hubby was diagnosed this past year). They say now that actually 1 in 5 people have it, alot are un-diagnosed, because some people never have an outbreak but still carry the virus in their system. You can also get it from a cold sore...(below was stolen from WebMD)

"The virus that triggers "cold sores" of the mouth is becoming an increasingly common cause of genital herpes -- and the source of that upswing may be people who begin having sex while in or before high school.

In the past, nearly all cases of genital herpes, which affects about one in five Americans, most of them unaware of their condition, resulted from unprotected sexual intercourse with someone infected with the herpes simplex virus-2. Herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1) has traditionally caused cold sores (or fever blisters).

"But now, we're seeing more cases of genital herpes that result from HSV-1," Rhoda Ashley-Morrow, PhD, researcher at the University of Washington, tells WebMD. "In the U.K., as many as 60% of new genital herpes infections are due to HSV-1. Here in Seattle, about one-third of new cases are caused by HSV-1."

Kissing or even touching the lips of someone with an active cold sore caused by HSV-1 can lead to genital herpes if you then touch your own genitalia."

I probably have it also, but haven't been tested...Now I'm going to hide awhile after this confession. We both were no angels before we got married.[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2003]
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Absolutely no need to hide or feel funny. Who among us didn't have some manner of "younger days"???

Looks like you've gotten a lot of good, specific info on HH-6, hope it helps!

I think all herpes viruses are very spreadable, though. In high school I got something called herpes keratitis in my eye, it is another form of herpes. I'm sure I got it from my Mom, who I always remember had cold sores. Most people contract herpes keratitis from spitting on contact lenses while they have a cold sore (when away from lens solution) then putting them in their eyes. My boyfriend at the time told me I got it from having too much "visual sex" (lotta support, huh? Thought it was funny later, not at the time...) It is supposed to be the leading cause of infectious blindness (though infectious blindness isn't common; that's why no one's ever heard of herpes keratitis...)

Just a word of caution, herpes is so spreadable, and the eyes are not immune!

Take care, Judy, & hope you & hubby are okay!

Hugs,
    Pam