Gentle Exercises

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, May 12, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As many of y'all know, I like doing gentle Yoga, Tai Chi, and meditating. I have also discovered a couple of new exercise programs.

My rheumy suggested I try the balance ball. Well, I got the small size because I'm only 5'4" and I went by the chart on the box. This ball is too small for some of the exercises and doesn't give me a good stretch, besides, it has a tendency to take off on its own. I bought the large ball and LOVE it. It really gives a good stretch. I got mine at Target and it came with a tape of sample exercises. You can stop the tape and do sets of exercises which have particular appeal or just do the whole tape which works out the entire body a little bit.

I also got the Pilates tape for beginners with the little hand-held weighted ball at Target. It's very gentle but really uses the muscles. Pilates was developed for dancers who are the best developed athletes all around. You have to be very careful with your back with Pilates sit ups. It is vital to suck the navel into the spine when sitting from a prone position or it will cause lower back injury. This means really working on the abs.

I think it is a lot easier to work out if we have diversity and gentle exercises which incorporate stretching. My days of being a gung-ho jockette are behind me, but I want to stay in shape.

We need to keep our muscles strong and flexible and keep our sense of balance good to avoid injury. I recommend both these new additions to my regimen. I love using good tapes because I can do my exercises at home without having to go out to the gym where the constant noise and people get on my nerves.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, unfortunately, the hand pump which comes with the ball is useless. You need a good air compressor. I carry a lithium battery-operated air compressor in my car so I can check my tires often. Half the time, the ones at the gas station are broken, plus, they charge to use them. I used this little gizmo to blow up my balls. You really have to blow them up way more than you think. You go by diameter and not pressure, so it's handy to have a measuring tape to check on it.

I do use the small ball for exercises which call for putting the ball between the kness or for lifting the ball overhead. Having both sizes has turned out to be better, and I don't feel as though I wasted my money.

Love, Mikie

3. sofy

sofy New Member

I have a pilates machine that I use to love using several times a wk befor getting so beat down. I now know it was the cause of the toe cramps I was getting at night. If I stand on my tip toes for 1 min I suffer terribly so need to do something where the tippy toes arent required. On your pilates tape do you have to do tippy topes, and if not whats the name?
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are made by Gaiam and I got them at Target. Other types of balls may not have videos with them, but they can be bought separately.

The Pilates tape is supposed to be for all levels, but it is really a beginners tape. I also get the spasms from pointing my toes. Taking Klonopin, an antispasm med, helps. You could take one of the pain killers for menstral cramps which contain antispasmodic ingredients. Also, you can just not point the toe. In most cases, I don't think it will change the outcome of the exercise that much. I know Pilates is all about form and that's why I like it, but you can only do what you can do.

When I wear high heels for any length of time, I also get those cramps. When I worked, I didn't wear really high heels, but for a hot date, if memory serves, there's nothing sexier than jacked up high heels. A distant memory.

Sue, I love treadmills, especially the ones you can incline. I used to use a rowing machine and they are really good for the lungs. I always watched a good show on TV while using either. A 30-minute sit-com is just about right.

I do think variety is the spice of exercising. Perhaps if I'm feeling well enough, I'll tackle my Buns of Steel Tape (the original). It's a killer. I bought a Hip Hop dance tape, but my cognitive problems do not allow me to pick up the routines very easily. It's really fun, though.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]