Gentle Stretching

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Feb 28, 2003.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I've been dealing with rotator cuff tendinitis in addition to fibromyalgia lately, and while pain medications like Elavil and Neurontin haven't seemed to do much for it, some gentle stretching exercises that my occupational therapist gave me seem to have helped a lot. I still get intense pain if I move my right arm the wrong way, especially if I do it suddenly. But I think my range of motion has improved, I can now move and reach much more easily--and much farther--without significant pain, and all I really need during the day recently seems to be one dose of extra-strength Tylenol or 3 regular-strength buffered aspirin (which I alternate to avoid aggravating my GERD problems or elevated liver enzymes).

Does anybody know of some gentle stretching exercises that help the fibro pain?

--Laura R.M.
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I soak for a few minutes to relax my muscles and then start stretching. My neck and shoulders are where I have most of my problems, so I tailor my stretching appropriately. The most important thing to remember is to start slowly and gradually increase your exercizes.
    Kathryn
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Have your doc send you for PT for all the areas of pain. My therapist has given me flexing and stretching exercises for my legs, hips, back, shoulders, and neck. I do them all the time. They have helped tremendously with the pain and have helped to keep my muscles toned and flexible. I can even do them in bed.

Love, Mikie
  4. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I've been doing the stretches/exercises from this book for a few weeks, and have totally felt a difference. It's called "Backache, What Exercises Work" by Dava Sobel and Arthur C. Klein. It's geared towards people with back pain, but I've noticed that it's helping all of me!
    I would like to start yoga also...

I do the stretches first thing in the morning, and it really helps with the pain and stiffness from my crappy bed!!