Geographic tongue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cutshallest04, Feb 13, 2008.

1. cutshallest04

cutshallest04 New Member

Ok - this sounds kinda silly, but for years I've had what doctor's have called geographic tongue. My tongue is bumpy and has wierd markings on it. Sometimes it swells a little and anything spicy, cinnamonny or pickled sometimes will make it painful. Anyone else ever had this? The doctors just blow it off and never have discussed it with me. They tell me it's nothing to worry about.
  2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

It's yeast. Gargle with baking soda to get rid of it.
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

A friend of mine had a tongue like you are describing and it eventually became scalloped as well. It was not yeast related because she had it cultured.

Perhaps you should have this checked out by your dentist.
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Last summer I used baking soda and it completely cleared up my tongue, scallops and all. It's taking longer this time because I had the flu which did a number on me.
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 02/14/2008</i>]
  5. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

i have the samething!!! i was just reading other posts about baking soda i will have to try this. i have not had it checked but i do know my scallops are from my teeth. i tend to clentch my jaws alot. i have tmj and i blamed the scallops on that. as far as the sore tongue i will try the baking soda. thanks alot!!
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

If you decide to use baking soda, please remember that it may take a while to notice any improvement. And you may notice a slight burning type headache in the area around your temples. This is from the stuff the yeast produces as it is being killed. Also if it's in your ear canal you may also experience some discomfort there for the same reason. I've been putting a few drops in my ears and the tinnitus (ringing) is almost completely gone. Like I stated before the flu did a number on me and it will/is taking longer to get rid of the yeast. Whereas before it only took about a month for my tongue to clear up, it may take 2 or 3 months this time.
  7. woofmom

woofmom New Member

B complex vitamins taken along with carbohydrates or sugars are a perfect food for yeast.
  8. cutshallest04

cutshallest04 New Member

I'm chewing a piece of spearmint gum and I have a smooth patch that is indented and the rest of my tongue is fine. The smooth area is tingly from the gum, almost like an open sore. Really wierd!!
  9. woofmom

woofmom New Member

That gum you're chewing contains aspartame, which is one of the most toxic substances that has been allowed to be sold to the unsuspecting public.
  10. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

woofmom... thanks for the heads up on the headache!!! i get them very easy. my tongue also gets cracks or ridges in it do you know if that is the same thing? it comes and goes but i do get it alot. and my ears ring 24/7 they have for many years. i have menieres disease along with fm. i am loosing my hearing in (alot) in one ear and just starting in the other. hope it doesn't bother my ears to much...thanks again for the info!
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 02/15/2008</i>]
  11. Krackitty

Krackitty New Member

One of my boyfriend's Army buddies has a geographic toungue as well.
    I was teasing him because he's a fellow Texan, and he couldn't handle the salsa at a party. Then he showed me WHY it hurt so bad to eat salsa, lol!
    I had never heard of or seen that before. If they let him into the Army to be a pilot with it , I highly doubt it's anything to worry about.
  12. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I've had a dent in my tongue since I was a teenager (40 years). I had always thought I must have bitten it. After using baking soda for less than 10 days, it is starting to go away.
  13. jusbcuz777

jusbcuz777 New Member

hi I can only speak about myself . if i eat anything acidic I had sores in my mouth and my toothpaste burned my toungue it became worse then after visiting a dentist he said after each meal carry a little traveler container of baking soda and water swish after anything i ate that is acidic i did helped the sores be gone . as far as burning on the toungue every time i brushed the toothpaste i found was on a website---- squigle.com and i opted for the sensitive no floride formula .my toungue didnt burn anymore but my nerve sensitivity came back i have to alternate with toms of maine toothpaste which still burns and the toothbuilder toothpaste that doesnt in order for the exposed nerve to calm down hope this was helpful
  14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

original post was 4 years ago. But of course, one can still post on&lt;BR&gt;
    this topic. Just not likely the original posters are still here.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Rock