Geographical locations and severity of Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kizmo, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Kizmo

Kizmo New Member

I live near Dallas, Texas and am thinking of moving to Pagosa Springs, Colorado. I thought that the less humidity and the less hot temperatures during the summer would help. I'm just not sure about the cold, although the cold is not a WET cold due to the elevation. Can anyone tell me what they've experienced in living in different places and whether this would be a good move or not? Thanks.

Peace,

Kizmo
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

After two years on this board, I've read a lot of posts about people moving to different areas because of their health. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why one place is heaven to one person and hell to another.

I am from Colorado and the thin, dry air caused me no end of sinus infections, bronchial problems, and asthma. When I moved to Florida, that all went away. Some leave Florida for drier climes to improve just the things I mentioned here. So, even if someone tells you he or she is doing much better after moving to a specific place, it may not work for you. Colorado is a beautiful place full of health nuts. I hope if you do move that it works well for you.

Love, Mikie
  3. kgg

kgg New Member

the cold. Humidity and cold are not my friend. I do feel better but not cured. The move was very stressful and there is no support here. It takes a while to get to know people. It is not a decision to be made lightly. I do have to say, my husband is happier here (he had to do all the snow shoveling).

Do you know someone in Colorado? Does cold bother you?
  4. KayL

KayL New Member

Quite an interesting concept. I live in S. Louisiana and our weather is quite similar to Mikie's. I do find that with our high humidity here, when it's *cold*, I suffer greatly. And when those tropical type fronts move through the area in the summer months, that affects me too.

However, I feel I'm much better off in a warmer climate because I really don't think I'd tolerate cold temps too well for longer than a couple of days.

Karen
  5. Solstice

Solstice New Member

Hi Kizmo,

Just want to add, I live in Northern Michigan, and the cold is definately a problem for me, as is the humidity. Cold makes my muscles tighten, causing more pain. Also have Reynauds (poor circulation), which many with FMS and CFIDS have, and cold is detrimental to that as well. I have spent some extended time in mid Arizona to northern Arizona, and that has been the best climate for me............dry and warm.

I wish you well.

Solstice
  6. dsames

dsames New Member

Hi Kizo:

I think weather is a big factor in Fibro. This is just my humble opinion. However I have a good case to document my opinion.

My husband and I have been retired for the last four years, we live in Mi and go to Fl for the winter months, usually coming back to Mi in April. While I am in Fl, I don't really have too much pain, and am able to do quite alot while there.

This year we had to come home early after being there only a month, due to our dau, having a brain tumor and needing surgery, we were only home 3 days, when my husband had a
    pulmonary embolism in both lungs. We came home in January and I have been in a flare-up ever since.

Was it the weather? or was it the extreme amount of stress dumped on me? Or was it both. May never know. I believe
    warm weather is indeed a factor for me.

Have a great day all.

Shirley

7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

A year ago, I moved from temperate, low-humidity coastal California to the hot, humid (and cold in the winter) Kansas City area.

I definitely saw an increase in my FM symptoms due to cold, and summer heat/moist air.

However, I could also probably say I saw a decrease in my symptoms due to stress relievers like way less traffic, great schools for kids, low cost of living, etc. I know my stress level was probably much less this past year without the big mortgage, fighting thru traffic, knowing my daughter was in a way better environment (albiet without the beautiful ocean!)....

There are definitely trade-offs in life!

Good luck if you do move (I think Colorado is lovely!)

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

HI Kizmo'
    I agree with you. I think the area we live in. does make a difference in how much pain we get.and flares.
    Im in NY State and went to Florida.. was there for almost 8 wks.. I loved it there. I felt good while I was there too. once ina while would feel the difference when the barometric pressure changed but.. it was like a slight passing feeling then I felt good again. only lasted a short time. Here in NY its like a daily and continuous thing.. any front affects me..BIG TIME'

If I had my way I would move to Florida but Im not sure how it would affect my husband. (he has heart problems and extreme heat and or cold affects him.).. I think it would be good for both of us to move South!.. LOL
    take care..
    Deb
  9. coyote

coyote New Member

Massachusetts is not a good place for FM. It can be cold and damp here, or cold and dry...neither is good. And in the summer when it is very hot and humid (tropical almost) it is brutal also.
    I've noticed when I've been in northern central South Dakota in the summer, it is hot and dry, and I have almost no pain.
  10. Kizmo

Kizmo New Member

which is in western Colorado. When I've been up there, the fibromyalgia didn't really hurt me. Even when it was in January and really cold, I was fine with all except the elevation at the time.

Real estate there is depressed right now due to the fires. We could knock about $900 off of our monthly costs which would take a GREAT stress off. As well as going from a house to a condo would take even MORE stress off.I don't HAVE many friends HERE, so making NEW ones would really be something GOOD in my life. As well as we really get along WELL with the in-laws. I don't know. I'm thinking when we go up to look at listings this weekend, getting a deal that is about $20,000 less than USUAL and in a couple of years, if it's not the place for me, I could always move again. And yep, the move will be stressful but I hate the flatness and concreteness and materialistic values of the Dallas area so might give this a shot.

Thanks for all your input.

Peace,

Kizmo
  11. scottabir

scottabir New Member

I moved from AZ to MI last year. I found that I felt much worse in PHX, AZ than I do in MI. January and February e difficult here in MI but the other 10 months were better than AZ. IN AZ I felt my worse from May through September leaving me with less months of better health. Also I had more sinus problems in AZ.

Abi
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I know what you mean about the materialism....that is my number one complaint about Florida. I'd go back to Wisconsin for that reason alone, if I were not both married to someone whose job is not portable, and ill with Fibro. I am much better physically in Florida due to the warmth. But, being around people who have the same values as you do cannot be underrated in importance.
    Klutzo

P.S. Are you a long lost cousin? Kizmo and Klutzo? Sounds like a cartoon show!
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It used to be thought that TB and asthma did better in dry climes, but that is not true for everyone. The high, dry air in CO was horrible for my asthma. All the older people in CO haul their oxygen tanks around with them. In FL, you rarely see oxygen tanks. I had asthma in CO and have none here. Go figure.

The climate is changing all over and CO does not have all those sunny days anymore. Also, consider that even if the sun peeks out for a minute, they count it as a sunny day. There are a lot of gray days in CO now; my older kids still live there. FL's clime is changing as well and doesn't follow the old patterns. In either case, though, both CO and FL have plenty of sun.

Ft. Collins is a beautiful little, acutally, not so little anymore, college town. Unfortunately, like all cities along the Front Range, the prices are waaaaay out of line there. The whole Front Range is developing rapidly just as the coastline of FL is being overdeveloped. I hate to see it happen in both areas.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]