Geographical Song Game

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Apr 6, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Anyone want to play a new game? We all seem to enjoy games about music so much I thought maybe we could squeeze another game out of songs we enjoy.

How about naming as many songs as we can that have either a City, State, or Country in the title. Maybe try to put some of the lyrics in too.

For example: Paris: "The last time I saw Paris............."

Or: California: "California here I come, right back where I started from.........."
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hey GB

Neat idea! Here are some New York songs.

From the movie "On the Town" with Gene Kelly, etc.

New York, New York, a helluva town.
    The Bronx is up, but the Battery's down.
    The people ride in a hole in the ground.
    New York, New York, it's a helluva town!

And then there's the one Liza Minnelli sang.

Start spreading the news,
    I'm leaving today.
    I want to be a part of it -
    New York, New York.

I think both songs are named "New York, New York". A song that goes back to the
    19th century is "The Sidewalks of New York" also known as "East Side, West Side".

Rock
  3. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

First song that comes to mind I think I only remember one word of :p
    Barcelooooooona...... nanananananananaaaaa Barceloooooooooona......

That's Queen I think.... I don't recall any other lyrics.

And then I see Rock posting New York I think of New York state of mind immidiately....

New Yoooooork .... dreams of made.... brand new.... when you are in New Yoooooork....
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Hi Rock and Soul, Yes, there are lots of N.Y. songs. I remember "Autumn in N. Y." from years ago. Not that I've been there, it's a song. :)

Barcelona, I don't remember. I did think of "Lady of Spain" however.
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

There are several songs about Georgia too. One is "Georgia on My Mind". Know any others?
  6. windblade

windblade Active Member

" I'm going to Carolina in my mind" - James Taylor

" Are you going to San Francisco?
    You will meet some gentle people there
    If you're going to San Francisco,
    Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair" - can't remember the singers name from the Sixties.

"All the leaves are brown, and the sky is gray
    ........ for a walk on a winter's day.
    California dreaming...... - sung by The Mamas and the Papas.

Great idea, GB! I kept trying to think of games, but nothing came to me. This one is fun!
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Hi Windblade, I'm glad you enjoy the games. It really makes me smile and gives me a lift. I wish I could think up some more. I'll work on it. :)

How about Tennessee? I can think of one by Peggy Lee. Anyone know it?
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Remember the Tennessee Waltz?

the Jersey Bounce?

and where was it I left my heart?
  9. rockgor

Hi GB

Yes, I remember the Tennessee Waltz. It was a big hit for Patti Page when I was in 5th
    grade. Used to have the sheet music. I wonder if modern teenagers have ever heard of
    sheet music.

And about the same time, when Harry Truman was running for President, the Missouri
    Waltz was popular. Truman was from Missouri. The song was said to be his favorite.
    But Harry said in an interview he got thoroughly sick of it during the campaign.

Harry was a piano player as well as a politician. His daughter Margaret was a singer
    although she was frequently criticized for "singing in the cracks". President Truman wrote
    a notorious letter to a critic threatening to beat him up.

Margaret later wrote several mysteries with titles like "Murder at the Smithsonian" and
    "Murder on Capital Hill". I thought they were pretty ordinary, but I can sympathize
    with her desire to want to be creative.

Never heard of the Jersey Bounce. Was the composer from Jersey? Did folks wear
    a jersey when singing or dancing to same? Ha Ha!

Here are a couple songs about Indiana. The first one is a beautiful nostalgia inducer.
    "On the Banks of the Wabash". And there is also "Back Home Again, in Indiana".

Rock
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I remember that Truman was from Missouri. He talked about it a lot. And I remember his daughter Margaret too.

I was in grammar school when he was elected president. I remember all of us kids would say we wanted Truman to win because we didn't like Dewey's mustache! :) Kids are like that. I think we thought he looked like the guy in the Pearl Pureheart cartoons. Remember the railroad tracks?

Then, there was the headline that Dewey had won, whoops!

The Jersey Bounce was a song that I remember being played by one of the Big Bands. Benny Goodman or someone. I can still hear the melody.

Do you or anyone remember a song about a Pennsylvania phone number. PA 65000. Or PA 65 thousand, I think it says.
  11. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

We're working on my computer so I'll be off and on for a few more days. GB66
  12. windblade

windblade Active Member

GB - glad you got a chance to pop in. I've been missing you.

Hoping your computer will be ready to use soon.
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thank you Windblade. He is working on my laptops for hours during the day so I just pop in when I can. Glad to see you. How are you feeling? GB66
  14. rockgor

Hi Kids

I think this clip is from the movie "The Glenn Miller Story" starring Jimmy Stewart.

Rock
  15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I can't get the video to play. Maybe it's my computer. :)
  16. rockgor

"Destino crudele!" Cruel Fate as those sopranos in Italian operas were always singing. See,
    Italian opera was always very stereotyped. Instead of wearing a white hat, the hero was always
    the tenor, and the baritone was always the villain, and...never mind.

Well, the darn thing plays for me. But my computer or the internet played a vicious trick on
    me earlier today. I commented on a news item, but when I clicked on "Post" the computer
    segued into a parallel universe. My post wound up underneath some other news item where
    it was totally out of place. Casus crudelis! (Cruel Misfortune!)

But you can find the telephone song on Youtube. The Jersey Bounce is also there by
    Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Ozzie Nelson and various.

Just got in from watering the plants and picking tomatoes. I feel like Mr Mcgregor. Peter
    Rabbit not in sight. But the B & W feral cat was last night. Got another bag of kibble for
    it today. Cheers.

Rock
  17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I'm currently reading a book by Nelson DeMille and there is a scene in the book about a dance in a foreign country.

They're playing "Carry Me Back to Old Virginia", "Moonlight in Vermont" and "Moon Over Miami", for all the homesick people!

It fits right in to our game here. :)
  18. rockgor

Hi GB

Bonnie Guitar did a an entire LP record of Moon songs. Kate Smith's theme song was "When theMoon Comes Over the Mountain". Dean Martin got hit in the eye by the moon. And about a century ago Jack Norworth and Nora Bayes sang "Turn Off Your Light, Mr. Moon Man" on Broadway. The song was said to be a sequel to "Shine On,Harvest Moon."

According to reputable astronomers, no celestial body is sung about more than our moon.

I've read some DeMille books, but not recently. I think I have a paperback of his that I
    picked up at a recent library sale.

Rock
  19. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I seem to recall a song that used part of the melody of Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto called "Full Moon and Empty Arms". Love Rachmininoff.

There's a line in Ka, Ka, Ka, Katy about the moon too. "When the mo, moon shines over the cowshed, I'll be waiting at the Ka,Ka,Ka kitchen door"

I'll bet there's lots of others too.

I've read a lot of Demille's books. He writes very adventurous stories. The first one I read was Plum Island. One of his earlier ones was The Gold Coast. Both good, but very different types of stories.
  20. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

ooooh picking tomatoes, I'm jealous :p In a good way ;) My tomato seedlings are still teeny tiny and not ready to go out yet, we could possible still get frost untill may 15.