Geography Question-new pic kholmes Redwillow rockgor

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Dec 13, 2006.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Please check my profile for the photo.
    I came across this photo on the internet & wondered if anyone knew where it is.I thought it was quite a spectacular but unusual picture.
    All comments & answers welcome.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/14/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2006]
  2. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Looks like some of the roads that I have travelled in Colorado.

3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Looks like some I've traveled in Germany and Europe...

Nancy B
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Like "the Going to The Sun road" In Glacier National Park in Montana USA where i Live ! There is a mountian Rock Tunnel on that road that looks just like that!,,,,,,,,S
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'd have to guess Colorado, too, maybe on the two-lane highway that runs up to Blackhawk. There are a lot of beautiful tunnels like this in the Rockies.

Of course, you could be fooling us, and it could be in Europe somewhere.
  6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi Ingrid,Nancy,sisland,Linda,Ken,& elliespad.

Ken,we seem to be 8 hours ahead of the times quoted on the messageboard.It's now 9.00pm over here in "sunny" Glasgow.

Well done sisland,I do believe it's called the West Side Tunnel on Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park,Montana,USA.(PS-I should have said that anyone from Montana was not allowed to answer,LOL,but then again that would have given the game away).

I have attached a few excerpts detailing some of the history of Going-to-the-Sun Road:

"When Glacier National Park celebrated the completion of the Going- to- the Sun Road on July 15,1933, more than two decades of planning and construction had become a spectacular reality".

"Bureau of Public Roads and the National Park Service landscape architects completed the specifications in 1925, they accepted bids for the construction of a 12-mile section of road from Logan Creek up to Logan Pass. The Williams and Douglas Construction Company of Tacoma, Washington won the contract with the low bid of $869,145 and worked on the steep west side of the road for four seasons.Along this section of the Going- to- the-Sun Road,Williams and Douglas built most of the structures including the retaining walls, the Logan Creek Bridge,the West Side Tunnel, the Haystack Creek Culvert,and the Triple Arches
    "The East Side Tunnel is 408 feet long and the West Side Tunnel is 192 feet long".

These excerpts are taken from the following link:

Thanks for all your posts,really enjoyed reading them,
    Best Wishes,Paul.
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Glacier is always a park I wanted to visit. Everybody raves about Going-to-the-Sun Road. The glaciers are dissappearing, though; probably in twenty years or so, they will be no more.
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks Paul for Bringing The Sun Road to Light! It's in the Process of being rebuilt one section at a time! But the History of it is amazing!.........................................Every spring the Big road crews go up and plow it open! A very time consumming Job! I need to get myself a Digital camera so i can show you all the scenery of the park!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ken Maybe you could Fly over it some day! It's a One of those things where you go " OMG Look At That!",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The Glaciers will still be there for a long time! I Hope anyway! Along the way up there, There are waterfalls comming down off the big rocks and splashing on the road as you drive through them! Their Have been a few fatal accidents over the years on the Road ! People get out to take Photos and Don't look where walking ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And slip and fall over the Big rock canyon walls! Also the road is barley wide enough for 2 cars to pass so you Have to go really slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,But that's ok due to the Beautiful scenery!Lol At the very top is Logan Pass Visitor center and Lot's of Trails Leading to lakes and a mountian chalet called sperry chalet a 7 mile Hike ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,You stay over and Hike out in a day or two!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi fight,liked the one about your big mansion.

Hey Ken & sisland,check out the new pic in my profile.

Ken,we're called Glaswegians,not Glasgowegians,I don't mind that,as long as you don't call me a Edinburger(sounds like a dodger burger,LOL).

My new pic is of the Weeping wall on the Going-to -the-Sun Road in the same park,the scenery is amazing.
    The National Park website says:
    "Unlike most of the waterfalls found off the road, the Weeping Wall was not naturally formed. During the construction of the Going-to-the-Sun Road, a long section of rock was blasted out, which opened up numerous springs that continually fall to the road. The wall is over 100 feet long, and if you stick your arm out the window, you might be able to touch cascading water.
    The Weeping Wall is located near Logan Pass on the Going-to-the-Sun Road. The best time to view the wall is during June or July, when the snow melts and the falls are raging. Later in the summer, the falls are reduced to mere trickles".

Hope you enjoy the pic,I certainly did,
    Best Wishes,Paul.

10. fivesue

fivesue New Member

This one is fabulous....! I would love to see it in person...but the pic is very neat.

11. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for another sun rd photo! You think i would be the one posting these Huh! But yes there is another waterfall called Bird women Falls! It's Kool also!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Another great photo of the Going-to-the-Sun highway (isn't that a great name?)

Ah, yes, "Glaswegians." But where did the rest of the name "gow"? Ha Ha.

Try a Google Image search of the Icefields Parkway, between Banff and Jasper, Alberta, Canada. It's also spectacular, and I got to drive that one in 2002!

[This Message was Edited on 12/15/2006]
  13. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

"Big Sky" caption, the pic is from Montana, the Big Sky state. When I was a kid A.B.Guthrie won a Pulitzer Prize for his book "The Big Sky".

Everywhere I go, Minnesota, Oregon, Washington, the sky is bigger than it is in Los Angeles.
  14. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hey Ken & Redwillow,check out the new picture in my profile.
    It's a photo along the Icefields Parkway between Banff & Jasper Parks in Canada.The scenery is amazing,wouldn't you just love to travel along that railway line.
    Ken,I checked out the Icefields Parkway website & done a search on Flickr & the scenery in some of the photos is absolutely breathtaking.I bet you've got some great snaps from you're trip there.It looks great in the summer but I bet it's absolutely freezing in the winter.
    Did you know that Banff is the name of a small town in the north of Scotland,up by Aberdeen.Isn't it amazing the amount of British-named references in Canada.

Redwillow,I believe that section of the Going-To-The-Road shown in my previous picture is closed for a good bit of the year due to the extreme weather.

Hey rock,ye canny have it both ways because as you know "the sky's the limit" in LA,even if you can barely see it,LOL!!!!

Hope you enjoy the pic,i certainly did,
  15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Alas, I don't have any pictures from the drive. While there, I rode the lifts up into the mountains above Banff and Jasper, and did a number of short hikes along the Icefields Parkway. Jaw-droppingly beautiful, the whole way.

Here are a few spectacular places along or near the Icefields Parkway that you could look up on Google Images:

Morraine Lake
    Peyto Lake
    Mount Edith Cavell/Angel Glacier
    Maligne Lake
    Athabaskan Glacier

I had heard there was a Banff in Scotland, up near Aberdeen. There are a lot of Mckenzies associated with the Banff area, if I remember right.
  16. rockgor

Edith Cavell is another British Reference. Named for the heroic British nurse executed by the Germans in WWI.

Nope, never heard of a Banff in Scotland. Hard to believe there are two such unpronouncable places.
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Edith Cavell was very heroic during WWII. You should see the mountain named after her. What an honor.
  18. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hey rockgor & Ken,was just checking the web & found out that Banff,Alberta,Canada was founded by the Canadian Pacific Railway(CPR) in 1880 as a tourist destination.It was named after the Burgh of Banffshire in Scotland,the birthplace of two CPR directors,hence the Scottish connection.
    Thanks for the info on Edith Cavell,hadn't heard of her up till now.This is turning into a bit of a history lesson,but I'm enjoying it.It's true what they say;"you learn something every day".
  19. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hey Ken,was checking out some of those places you mentioned & came across this spectacular one of Peyto Lake in Banff National Park(check my profile for pic).
    It was named after Ebeneezer William Peyto(how apt is that name at Chrismastime,LOL),an early trail guide in the Banff area.
    If you look at the top end of the Lake they say it's shaped as a bear's head,or wolf,scary or what,LOL.

[This Message was Edited on 12/18/2006]
  20. rockgor

a woof to me.

Looking thru the paper y-day, a little theater in the LA area is having an old fashioned reading of A Christmas Carol. Supposed to be akin to what Dickens did when he toured the USA.

Another theater is doing A Christmas Carol as an old-time radio show.

And there's one just for you, Paul. The title is Plaid Tiddings.