GERD and Magnesium...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by valleyann, Jun 24, 2006.

1. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello Everyone,

How are you all doing? I haven't posted a message on here in quite sometime...I read something very interesting yesterday that I wanted to share with you.

Do you suffer from Acid Reflux/Heartburn (GERD)? If so you may want to try taking Magnesium... I was reading through some posts on a different website for people with GERD. And this guy posted that he started taking Magnesium (purest form) and also took the Mag/Zinc/Cal combo as well and his GERD pretty much went away.

I am going to try this and will let you know if it has helped me. I used to take Pantoloc for my GERD but had to recently stop because I am being tested for Liver Disease. So I need to rid my body of any unnecessary medicines (for my liver's sake).

Has anyone here with GERDS (acid reflux/heartburn) used Magnesium and noticed a positive change? It also may depend on how many mg's you took?

Thanks.
    Valleyann
    [This Message was Edited on 06/24/2006]
  2. valleyann

valleyann New Member

...where I found them talking about Magnesium. It looks like he also too a Pancreatic Supplement so that may have also played a huge role in getting ride of his heartburn.

Anyways, have a read. I hope that this helps my GERD...

Valleyann

>>"Did you all know magnesium was necessary to activate protein digestive enzymes and it is a natural antacid? and a deficiency of it will cause spasms (that under the ribcage pain). I have also been taking a pancreatic digestive supplement found at the health food store and the gas and bloating and heartburn is GONE. Now, I can't stop eating, because nothing bothers me anymore. The PPI's I have been taking so long, prohibt your stomach from producing stomach acid which prohibts proper food digestion, which supports heartburn. I take the pancreatic supplement to help breakdown the proteins and fat from foods. Get the book the Miracle of Magnesium by Carolyn Dean and I'm sure it will change someone elses life. I hope this helps."<<
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Thanks I was afraid it would make GERD worse so this is good news. Anyone know if one can split the slo-mag as the pills are so huge. Love Anne C
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Valleyann,
    How much magnesium do you take per day? I have had GERD since January and started to be treated for it on 4/14, with 40 mg. of Nexium.

The Nexium was slow to work and it has given me chronic constipation. So far today I have taken 3 stool softeners and nothing so far.

I don't know what type of magnesium to order or the amount. I usually get my supplements from the Pro Health Store.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

I haven't started taking Magnesium yet, but I heard women should have 310 mg. I decided to go for Licorce Root Extract instead of the Magnesium supplement because it's a more natural way to get Magnesium.

So I'm starting this tomorrow... I'll let you know how it goes. I know alot of people get the Magnesium from a healthstore and usually get the Calcium/Magnesium combo.

I hope this helps! I know how terrible GERD can be...

Valleyann
  6. valleyann

valleyann New Member

7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Valleyann,
    Thanks for your reply. I think I'll wait and see how you do. I also have gastroparesis and some supplements I can't tolerate as it tears my stomach up.

With the GERD, I want to make sure the supplement doesn't aggravate that too. I've had a really bad problem with the erosive esophagitis and got pneumonia from the GERD, etc. I was really ill in April.

Let me know how you do on the licorice root extract. There was a tea I used to take for constipation that had licorice root in it, but I don't know if it is the same thing or not. The tea was called Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea.

Hugs,
    Faye =^,,^=
  8. aquaria

aquaria New Member

Hi
    Yes, I am taking Calm, a magnesium product before bed every nite in hot water. It is helping many of my symptoms including constipation. It depends how much you take, but I have not had the sore throat I got from reflux altho I never was diagnosed with "gerd", but tried the purple pill for reflux which was a flop.
  9. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

I don't know what I was thinking when I bought a $20 (canadian) bottle of chewable Licorice Root Extract pills! They are so disgusting! yuck! haha! And I'm supposed to chew 2-4 of these before every mean, yah right!

I'm going to try...but it's tough when it tastes that horrid. I say if it works then I'll take it no matter what the taste. :)

Anyways, I'll let you know how that goes...

Valleyann
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

and licquorice root. Be careful there as this can open the lower esophageal sphincter and allow more acid up the gullet to throat. Plus the BP problem too.

I think the Calm sounds OK. I was told to use slo-mag but the pills are the size of a nickle almost. Milk of magnesia is peppermint which is also bad for LE sphincter.

Ilovecats: 40mg is highish for long term. Research shows that 10mg of Prilosec a day after initial two weeks on 40mg is just as effective once errosive esophagitis is cleared. The Nexium you take is actually Prilosec WITH added magnesium!!! I do OK on Prilosec but not Nexium for some reason. I too had the pneumonia etc and you DO have to be careful re acid as it totally got my lungs so I could hardly walk let alone breathe.

I would suggest trying to cut down slowly by doing 20mg then halving (you can do this)pill to 10mg. THen after a couple of weeks, try lowering again to half a pill(10mg)each two times a day, then finally aftera few weeks of doing OK try 10mg once a day. On days you trigger GERD just add another 10mg. To halve Nexium, get them to prescribe lower dose. You could also do Nexium once a day and half an over the counter Prilosec second dose. Check with your Pharmacist. I have done this, but just check to be sure.

This may really help the leaky gut and the GERD as you pull down slowly and will certainly help the constipation.

Much love Anne Cromwell (been on PPI for years due to terrible probvlems with acid, and now down to 10mg a day and aiming to get on every other day soon)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2006]
  11. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

Thank you for your advice on Licorice Root... I certainly don't want to take anything that is going to make things worse for me. Plus I hate the taste of it so maybe I'll just try to get some magnesium/calcium supplements.

Valleyann