GERD? any natural/home remedies?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Aug 8, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys~
    does anyone here know of any decent working home cures for gerd?
    I started getting these symptoms recently and my dr. started me on nexium. guess it works ok but i'm looking for alternatives.
  2. msSusan

msSusan Member

I've had good luck with DGL (form of licorice)

I was taking chewable but found out some of the ingred. weren't agreeing with me after a while. Dextrose, maltodextrin/corn.

I tried powdered form (just rice powder and dgl) but it irritated my throat.
  3. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

over the counter products ,and they didnt do a thing. The prescription I got didn't either. Then a friend who had the same problem (gerd) said her mother in law told her to eat apples. I tried it and it works everytime !

Only thing is , I am a diabetic so if I want the GERD to be better I have to take 2 stupid shots to eat the apples. Can't win ;)

4. kbak

kbak Member

I have been dealing with Gerd since last Nov. I always try natural remedies first before I succume to anything else. I tried every natural thing out there with very little relief and the only thing that helps me is one Prilosec in the morning and not eating anything that promotes acid reflux. Hope you have better success!

5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

dgl licorice root chewables, gaucatonga stomach enzymes, and red delicious apples before bed
  6. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Hi Tandy,

People have already mentioned most of the ones I have read about. I have also read that often times GERD is actually due to a LACK of stomach acid rather than too much. If you google "GERD lack of stomach acid" you should find some info that explains why. So with that in mind taking Betatine HCL is also said to help.

Take Care,
  7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been dealing with GERD my whole life. I have tried the natural remedies with no success.

The reason I am posting here is that there is a condition called Barrett’s Esophagus. If you have this then you need to be on an RX such as Nexium, Prontonix, Prevacid, Aciphex. So please ask your doctor so you can be tested, untreated BE can lead to esophageal cancer.

If you just have reflux without this condition then using the natural methods should be fine.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2008]
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

I had heard that eating apples helped gerd. did'nt know if it really worked, but thats the first thing I'll try. I'll continue my nexium in case its needed.

Its odd thou that when alot of my upper abdominal pain started,..and I suspected gallbladder or ulcers,.. thats when these gerd symptoms started too. ???
    so somehow I think its all related.

I was due for my every 5 yr colonoscopy soon anyway so I did scedule that test for next week. uuugghhh!
    let the fun begin. NOT! :)

thanks again for all your help,