GERD Surgery anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SpecialK82, Oct 25, 2008.

1. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

I am about at the end of my rope with GERD --- help!

I have been on Prevacid for many years but it does not seem to be strong enough anymore. I used to just get the acid reflux/burning symptoms but more recently it is pain around the sturnum area and difficulty eating.

I had tests and a scope done about 6 months ago that confirmed the acid reflux and hiatal hernia diagnosis. The pain is getting worse now - does anyone know if Nexium works better than Prevacid? My doc said they were the same strength.

Anyway, I am going to go back to my GI doc and see if surgery is an option for me. From reading online, it sounds kind of risky without guaranteed benefits.

I am tired of stuggling with this for years and want some real relief. If anyone has had any of the surgical interventions I would be very interested to hear how it worked for you.

I'm also worried with this DD that the muscles are not working quite right in the esophagus and that surgery may have different outcomes for us than for the normal population.

Any advice would be welcome!

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

my dad got releif only from Prontix

i know you had a scope 6 months ago but my dad kept getting worse and it turned out he had an ucler that perforated.

maybe ask your doc about this.

what kind of surgery do they do for GERD?
  3. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

There's a surgery called fundoplication - they wrap the top of the stomach around the esophagus to strengthen the valve. I'm scared of this procedure as complications can occur and results may not even be adequate.

There is also a newer less invasive procedure call esophyx which is all done through a scope, no incisions. It was recently approved by the FDA. I don't know if this is even done everywhere yet.

I think Protonix is on the same lines as Prevacid, both Proton Pump Inhibitors. So, I believe I'm taking the strongest thing they make - but may have to take it more than once a day...

[This Message was Edited on 10/25/2008]
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

thanks for info

not sure on Protonix just know it was strong and expense.

ouch on surgery

think my dad took it like 2 or 3 times at meal time so maybe that would help.

5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have tried them all...Nexium, Prevacid, Acifex, Protonix. I am currently on Protonix. One thing I have noticed though, is that even though they are basically the same strength that switching them up when one seems to not be working anymore helps. Each has a slightly different make up so sometimes just the change to the different med can make a difference. Maybe discuss a change up just to see if it helps with your doctor.
  6. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi I saw your post and it caught my eye, my son had the fundoplication surgery about 6 years ago and has had constant problem ever since. He doesnt have reflux any longer but has to take opium tinture for diarrhea, has cramping, bloating, gas pain, lost lots of weight and basically looks and feels sick on a daily basis.Weak and tired alot. He is only 37 yrs. old now.Of course everyone is differet but if He had it to do over I think he would not have had the surgery if there was any other options.He was fine before the surgery other than reflux, which was pretty bad at times and the pre-test did show some erosion of his esophagus due to chronic irritation which isnt a good thing either. He also had a hiatal hernia. Best of luck to you whatever you decide but once the surgery is done there is no turning back.
  7. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies, I will take your advice to heart. The surgery certainly sounds scary, I am so sorry for you all that had bad outcomes. That must be horrible to wish you hadn't had the surgery after all the time, energy and money spent to get well.

The pain in my chest and stomach was so bad today, it almost feels like something is twisted inside me. I spoke with my GI doctor's office today (he can't see me until Dec) but he told me to double up on my Prevacid and take one AM and one PM. I hope that works, I can't believe everything we must endure sometimes!!

8. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I have often wondered if there is a surgery for this also. Thanks for asking the question AND thanks to everyone wh replied th Kristina's post.

I have had GERD for many (20+) years and have been on Aciphex for a very long time. It really worked for me but is expensive. Also after taking it for a very long time I became deficient of vitamin B12 and have to take doses of this daily. Prevacid, Prilosec and others I've tried bring on the IBS symptoms so I could not take them. Zantac didn't seem strong enough.

My rheumy gave me samples of "Zegerid" and they seem to work with no apparent side effects
    but I have not had the RX filled and have no idea of the cost.

Good luck in finding a solution. If you opt for surgery please keep us informed.