Germ Avoidance HELP!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Feb 14, 2006.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi all,

my mother's come down with either the flu or a terrible virus of some sort. if anyone in florida has any recommendations on symptom management for this nasty upper respiratory thing going around, i'd love to hear them. right now, i am giving her mucinex for cough and a decongestant for her head, lots of fluids, light meals. she's just miserable and i hate to see her like this. she's in real estate and a really inconsiderate couple who are just getting over this bug insisted on seeing some houses the other day. they coughed all over her and now she's paying for it.

the big question is, what can i do to avoid picking this thing up? she wants me to leave and stay at my brother's for a few days, but i'm not comfortable leaving her. i've currently got our whispure air purifier with a hepa filter running in the living room. i've been spraying with lysol and washing my hands. not much more i can do, right? the pharmacist said not to bother with a mask or anything like that as the viruses are so tiny they slip right through.

thanks for any advice!
    eddie
  2. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

You might want to pick up some Purell hand sanitizer which you can buy at any drug store.

My kids' school teacher turned me on to it. Apparently they did a study at an elderly care home where one year they gave out hand sanitizers to all the residents and they made

everyone who entered use the hand sanitizer before they could visit the residents. The incidents of colds and flu's that winter were down by about 50%! That made me a believer.

This year, I bought enough miniature hand sanitizers for every kid in my kids' classrooms.

They carry them on their lunchboxes and their teacher reminds them to use them several times a day. My sons have been remarkable well so far this winter.

Since your mom is a real estate agent, she comes in contact with tons of people. You might want to have her carry a mini bottle of Purell in her purse.

Hope she feels better soon!

Cynthia
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

Wash your hands alot!! Especially b4 eating

Get the alcohol wipes and continually wipe down doorknobs and faucets and toilets

Take Vitamin C

4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

There are some things you can take temporarily to boost your immune system, like Echinacea, Astragalus, Olive Leaf, Beta Glucan. There are more you could look into.

The other advice you have had is good. Hand washing is the best thing.

Kathy.