Get approved for SS and lose...........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by silky17, Nov 28, 2005.

1. silky17

silky17 New Member

my medical insurance. I did have ACCCHS, but now I have been approved SS and another turn .

What has some of guys done when this happens? Man they sure don't want to make it to comfortable to not be working do they?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks ,
    Debbie
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

to find out myself what is going to happen to my insurance as well....

read my post jodie place's ssdi case payment
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I was really fortunate that when I was awarded SSDI, I was already covered by my employer's pension plan. Then, after my 2 year wait to get on Medicare, my retirement insurance just went from my primary to my secondary insurer.

My sister was in your same situation. She had been getting government welfare and Medicaid. When she got her SSDI approved, when it was combined with the payment that she got for her minor child, it totalled "too much" to received Medicaid -- free, that is.

She can still received Medicaid insurance benefits, however, she now has to pay for it. There is some type of "spend down" program where, according to her benefits, she must pay for the first $400 (? on amount) of her medical bills and prescription drugs EACH MONTH, then Medicaid will begin paying the rest at 100% for the remainder of the month.

It really sounds like a POOR PROGRAM--she is really sick and just paying her spend down amount each month takes all of her money. They don't want to leave you with much money for rent, clothes, groceries (no more food stamps), utility bills, etc.!

You are correct when you said that they sure don't want to make it to comfortable to not be working? I guess their goal is for everyone to work. That's sad, because all of us WISH WE WERE ABLE TO WORK! We just are not able.

4. Bambi

Bambi New Member

heard a lot of discussions about a "new" and growingly popular idea. If you cannot "contribute to society, then you don't deserve to receive from society". Only problem is the idea started eons ago and was very popular in Germany at one point. Work or die.

I'm pretty conservative in my thinking on many things, but I still believe we ARE our brothers keepers and that government should exist for the wellbeing of all the population. In that it should also be especially KIND to the young, old and disabled.

Unfortunately too many now believe that giving social services to people is an awful idea. I've even heard some so called Christians quote the scripture about if you don't work you don't eat. I think that was meant to be if you can and don't. Before we vote we need to really really sit down and THINK about what kind of society we want.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2005]
  5. silky17

silky17 New Member

When you do work and struggle to deal with all that comes along with this DD, our popularity in the workplace is not that great either. So all in all its a saddening and depressing thought. I have always had a problem with the way some people treat me or talk crap about me. Why I don't know, I believe it is due to things that was said when I was young. So it lays allot of stress on me when I work because I do know that when my other co-workers have to work 50-60 hours a week then they hold alot of animosity towards anyone who doesn't do theyr'e part. As always I will leave this in Gods hands and pray that I am able to continue my medications.I want to pose another question to all so look for that post.

Thanks all,
    Debbie (silky17)
  6. silky17

silky17 New Member

I can't find that post.

Deb
  7. kch64

kch64 New Member

I read your post and I agree. I am a Christian and Christ wouldn't treat anyone the way our Government treats us.

The main factor is that most of us work or have worked for years. We aren't moochers or slackers. We have a valid medical issue.

If a man doesn't work he doesn't eat, but most of do or have worked and we deserve better treatment. Anyone who uses that scripture to judge an ill human being, needs their head examined. Would you treat a cancer victim that way? Or one of Jerry's kids? If they can't work, do they not eat? Our government needs to be overhauled. It's by the people for the people, but it doesn't feel like it. We are too busy helping other nations and not our own. I'm sick of it.

Kendra
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i was down to my local ssa office today, andi asked about my medicare and the amount i need to pay...he said that medi-cal is going to p/u my monthly insurance prems...i had to pay the first two months then medical w/pick up the rest of the time...i don't understand why, he told me because i was already on medi-cal...i don't know how long that will last for since i will be getting another 8k in the bank today and then they have to give me more for my son back pay i'm guessing aobut $4,500 more...

i am still 40 years old until xmas day thenit's my 41st,,,but i know there are some programs that are picking up peoples premimums...

i have to call or go down to the local med-ical office...

well check and see if there any programs out there where you live thay may cover your medicare...

jodie

9. JLH

JLH New Member

You are certainly correct when you say that our government needs a definite overhaul. I know we can't get political here, but there are so many people who can't work due to physical and mental handicaps.

That new rule on 3 years of welfare, then you're off and back to work? There are soooo many people who can't get a job and are truly unable to work.

Still using my sister as an example. She truly was not able to work, but the welfare office sent her to jobs anyway, trying to get her back to work. She was sent to jobs that she was not qualified for, jobs that were on the fourth floor of a building with no elevator and she has two artificial knees and can't climb steps! They also sent her to a pizza shop to work! She has COPD, emphazema (? sp), and really bad asthma. She does nothing but cough all the time. They sent her home after an hour saying that they could not sell food with someone coughing all the time. She came back the next day for work, and they told her to stand outside for 8 hours holding a "Pizza Sale" size because they were located on a busy highway. With her knees, she can't stand that long! So they fired her.

There are reasons why people say they can't work, but nobody wants to believe them!

After my sister's 3rd try for SSDI, she was finally awarded it.