Get Electric Zaps When Almost Asleep. ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Feb 21, 2009.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Frequently since I got this immune system nightmare, I almost get to sleep and then, right before I get there, I am literally "jolted" by some electric zap type feeling that shocks me back awake.

I can actually feel my body convulse or "jump" when this happens. And every night that this happens, the rest of the night I can't get to sleep afterwards. The entire night is a non-sleeper for me.

What in the world is this body jolting "zap?"
    Appreciate any responses.
  2. reneem

reneem New Member

Hi! I started getting them about 5 months ago. Most of the time I'm in bed, and it is bad bad pain. Sometimes I do get smaller jolts and don't get the pain. I'm on Cymbalta for anxiety and panic, Lyrica for pain (first started on Neurontin for migraine headaches, which worked great. Then when I was diagnosed last year with FM they switched me to Lyrica. )My new RM increased it to 150mg x2. He also gave me fentynal patches. As long as I use the patches as direct them and change them every 72 hours, then the jolts don't come ase often. I take Abmien CR for sleep too, which helps block the pain.
    Good Luck!,Reneem
  3. Doober

Doober New Member

But for me it almost like a loud "ping" in my head.

Almost like someone took a loud deep "Toning Fork" and put in on the side of my head after they banged it on the counter.....

Also, it sort of happens when I am just about to fall asleep. Not the yawn and close my eyes kind of fall asleep. But like the moment just before my mind realizes that I am in the "Zone" if you know what I mean.

4. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

I use to get this a lot, it prevented me from sleeping as well. It was the start of chronic insomnia which only sleep medication was able to stop. Probably cause was bio/chemical imbalance.
  5. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

OMG. I get these to. I am so glad you posted cause I thought I was the only one. I'm sorry that I don't have any information as to what causes/cures this. It is so scary and frustrating. I used to not be able to go to sleep cause of the anxiety. My dr put me on 50mg of Amitriptyline (up from 30) and it helps. I hope you find relief soon.

Soft Hugs,
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Oh I've had these too! Sometimes they actually hurt! I've had both legs move violently at the same time. I've actually had my stomach jerk. so that isn't a limb. Have had my head jerk too. Ow.
    My husband also laid with his arm around me one night - asked me in the morning if I could feel the "current' that he felt running down my body. He said he could feel it - almost see the tiny jerks all the way down. Those I didn't feel.

They have decreased significantly and I'm not sure why. I have added Klonapin to my nightly routine - maybe that is relaxing me enough? I really don't know.