GET MAIL at YOUR DOOR LITERALLY-- USPS will do it

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Mar 14, 2007.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

This is interesting, never heard that they would do this before:

GET MAIL AT YOUR DOORSTEP
    by Bryan D. Vargo, Arthritis Today, March-April 2006

"Through rain or shine" ā€“ it's the unofficial credo of mail
    carriers.

"When my joints allow" should be the credo of mail
    recipients with arthritis. A flare, surgery or a mobility limitation
    can make a trip to the mailbox feel like a trek in the Himalayas.

There is, however, an easier way to get your mail: hardshipdelivery provided by the U.S. Postal Service (USPS). If you qualify, your mail carrier will deliver your mail to a more convenient location, such as to your front door instead of your mailbox. There is no extra fee, but you must apply and qualify for the service.

According to the USPS, a change in the delivery point will be
    considered if the "existing delivery point imposes an extreme
    hardship," such as a mailbox at the end of a long, steep driveway or an apartment lobby several floors down.

The final decision is made by your local post office, which may or
    may not have the resources to fulfill your request ā€“ even if you
    qualify. But it doesn't hurt to ask. Follow these simple steps to
    get the "stamp" of approval:

Step 1: Obtain a written statement from your doctor that lists both your medical condition(s) and the reason(s) why you require hardship delivery.

Step 2: Submit both your doctor's written statement and a letter
    from you that also clearly cites why you need this type of delivery. The letters should be submitted together to your local post office.

Step 3: A decision will be made by your local post office if you are eligible for hardship delivery. Decisions are made on a "case-by-case" basis, according to the USPS.

To contact your local post office, call 800/275-8777, or visit
    www.usps.com and search using your zip code.

-------

Hope this helps some of us, I'll post it on the ChitChat board too...

[This Message was Edited on 03/14/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2007]
  2. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Thanks, Victoria, for the information.

Newspapers used to pile up at the end of my driveway, where the delivery person would fling them from his car window. When I called the newspaper and told them that I had difficulty walking and was unable to go out and get the newspapers, and that because of this I would have to cancell my subscription, they too offered special delivery...right to my door!

It's nice to know that these services are available if you only ask.
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Thanks for the helpful information. We are on a rural route so we have to go out to the road to get our mail and newspaper. Fortunately, that isn't a problem for me and I also have an able-bodied husband. But I'm sure there are others here who could use this service.

Ellen
  4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

My parents have a neighbor who is a widow and requires a walker to get around. She often was not able to make the trip down her relatively short, flat drive way and across the road to her mailbox.

She contacted the post office about moving her mailbox. I think she just wanted to move it to her side of the road. The postmaster told her to move it to where ever was convenient for her and they would deliver her mail to it.

She had my dad move it to right outside her door. The postwoman now has to get out of her car and carry the mail up the side walk to the mailbox (which Iā€™m told she complains about).
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I just hope she doesn't complain to your parents' neighbor face-to-face tho. Being disabled regardless of age is hard enough...

6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

The neighbor doesn't get to the mailbox to get her mail until after the mailwoman has left, so they don't ever see one another. The neighbor is pretty outspoken, though. She would probably tell the mailwoman that if she didn't like to do her job, she should quit. And then she might call the post master and complain about the woman's attitude.